RamWraith is offline Registered User

Capable Shaw rides to rescue of warring Rams

an. 3, 2006
    By Clark Judge
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
    Tell Clark your opinion!

You can't help but like what you see with the St. Louis Rams these days, and what you see is team president John Shaw.

John Shaw will lead the search for a new Rams coach. (AP)
    He's everywhere. He's standing in front of reporters. He's on the phone. He's in the papers. He's more visible than he's been in years, and that's a step in the right direction for the Rams.

Normally, you find Shaw making decisions from behind the scenes -- either in St. Louis but more often from Los Angeles. But these are not normal times for the Rams, one of pro football's most dysfunctional organizations, and they demand someone in charge.

That someone is Shaw, and hallelujah.

Until he stepped forward, the club was a house divided, with former coach Mike Martz over here and Jay Zygmunt, the team's president in charge of football operations, over there. Once allies, the two clashed during a lost season in which Martz bowed out after five games because of a heart infection.

It was while he was away that Zygmunt denied Martz phone access to the coaching box to discuss play-calling with the team's offensive coordinator. One day later, Martz fired back by saying he didn't know if he could co-exist with Zygmunt, who's been with the Rams 24 years.

And so it went until Shaw intervened.

Now the Rams are trying to reorganize under his very public presence. First, Martz was dismissed, and I don't care if you like it or not, a settlement to this ugly mess had to be reached in the best interest of the organization. Once Martz suggested he might not -- correction, would not -- return if Zygmunt were still there, it was clear where this was going.

It didn't matter that Martz later softened his position. The damage was done. Shaw had seen and heard too much, and he wanted it ended. So he ended it. He fired Martz.

"I guess the most compelling reason was the direction of the team, which is a direction we think we need to change right now," " he said at Monday's news conference.

Notice what he said: The Rams "need to" change direction. He didn't say they'd like to or they want to. He said that what was done was necessary to move forward, and those are the words of someone fed up with the internecine battles that tore the Rams apart.

Now the club looks for someone to lead it back to the top of the NFC West, and it's John Shaw who does the looking. Shaw said he might interview nine or 10 persons but would start with five to six. Though he didn't indicate what he would do, I'd bet a dinner at Charlie Gitto's that his next coach is a defensive assistant.

Chicago's Ron Rivera has been mentioned. The Giants' Tim Lewis has been mentioned. Washington's Gregg Williams was mentioned until he signed a three-year deal to stay with the Redskins. Whoever it is, he must pass inspection with Shaw, who then makes his recommendation to owner Georgia Frontiere.

"And if we have to wait for a coach we will," said Shaw.

Shaw insisted he hasn't targeted an individual or a handful of candidates. He has a list he plans to run through, and he finds his next head coach based on what he sees, what he hears and what his instincts tell him.

That's how most clubs do it, and that's how John Shaw will do it. The Rams should be grateful he's back in St. Louis to restore order. Maybe now they can live in peace.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Capable Shaw rides to rescue of warring Rams

Good article. Hopefully all that positive stuff will stay positive.
    RamsFan16

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Those of you familiar with my posts know I have always told you to not hold sports writers to high standards because they are incapable of meeting those standards. You'll find some great Rams insight here on this board, and on other Rams' boards, written by passionate fans.

Sports writers write because they need a paycheck, however meager it is. These fans write, study stats, ponder, collect, discuss, and argue about their team's facets, because they love them.

That is a huge difference. People who love the subject will always outshine and out-do those who have no vested interest.

I would quickly take the Ram related advice of Tx, Nick, GC, and Adarian over any other "professional" writer out there.

That being said, I think that the writer of the artice, Clark Judge, is one of those professional blowhards. The high-fidelity of their bland ignorance, deserves mockery.

And this ignoramus is a CBS SportsLine Senior Writer!

These guys are professional writers who don't know much about what they're writing about.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Until he stepped forward, the club was a house divided, with former coach Mike Martz over here and Jay Zygmunt, the team's president in charge of football operations, over there. Once allies, the two clashed during a lost season in which Martz bowed out after five games because of a heart infection.
    This is interesting. Where was he before "he stepped forward"? Seems to me he sat back in LA and watched as things spiraled out of control without doing anything about it. No damage control, no communication to keep things in house, and no leash on his henchman/throat slasher. Hallelujah, John Shaw to the rescue.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would quickly take the Ram related advice of Tx, Nick, GC, and Adarian over any other "professional" writer out there.

That being said, I think that the writer of the artice, Clark Judge, is one of those professional blowhards. The high-fidelity of their bland ignorance, deserves mockery.
    I agree with 100%

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

As well as this piece of puerile nonsense, I've detected a softening of attitude on behalf of that fine corps of professional sportwriters at the P-D towards our glorious commander in chief.

The only reason I can offer for this otherwise inexplicable attitude, is that they are desperately praying for a scoop on who the next man will be. One of that august body at the P-D even went so far as to flatter Shaw by calling him the "De-facto owner".

Incredible....................

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Capable Shaw rides to rescue of warring Rams

Zygmunt and his throat slasher were the arsonists in this fire sale. Shaw just watched from a distance and threw gas on the fire and allowed it to blaze away. Now he steps forward and is supposed to be the savior?? Hallelujah my butt...Unbelievable...

:down:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    This is interesting. Where was he before "he stepped forward"? Seems to me he sat back in LA and watched as things spiraled out of control without doing anything about it. No damage control, no communication to keep things in house, and no leash on his henchman/throat slasher. Hallelujah, John Shaw to the rescue.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    Zygmunt and his throat slasher were the arsonists in this fire sale. Shaw just watched from a distance and threw gas on the fire and allowed it to blaze away. Now he steps forward and is supposed to be the savior?? Hallelujah my butt...Unbelievable...
    A pair of OUTSTANDING posts, both of which hit on the same inescapable question............where was Shaw BEFORE the proverbial fecal matter hit the proverbial fan?

Why should we believe (as Clark Judge seemingly does........or he owes him money) that Shaw is the savior in this dysfunctional disco, when he couldn't even stop this pot from boiling over in the first place.

If he had settled the monster egos of Ziggy and Martz months ago, and brought harmony to Earth City THEN, we wouldn't be needing articles looking for a savior NOW!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

I stopped reading when I got to "That someone is Shaw, and hallelujah" ... really? I should hope so because IT'S HIS JOB.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

All Hail the Ram's Front office!!

What a great bunch of guys!

Looks like their first priority was hiring a Public relations person instead of a head Coach.

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

pffffffftttttt...Shaw is an a**clown...If he had any real leadership skills there wouldn't be anything to clean up at this point...:clanram:
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-05-2006 at 05:31 PM.

bruce_wannabe Guest

shaw and zygmunt are the ones responsible for this disaster and now they have to solve it and put humpty dumbty back together again if you will

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I dont know what to make of all this.I think I'll stay on the fence untill the smoke clears.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Those of you familiar with my posts know I have always told you to not hold sports writers to high standards because they are incapable of meeting those standards. You'll find some great Rams insight here on this board, and on other Rams' boards, written by passionate fans.

Sports writers write because they need a paycheck, however meager it is. These fans write, study stats, ponder, collect, discuss, and argue about their team's facets, because they love them.

That is a huge difference. People who love the subject will always outshine and out-do those who have no vested interest.

And this ignoramus is a CBS SportsLine Senior Writer!

These guys are professional writers who don't know much about what they're writing about.
    I appreciate the compliment, and despite my disagreements with Avenger'sCalling, it is useful to mock these so-called journalists as he frequently as.

The problem with what you say: "These guys are professional writers who don't know much about what they're writing about." - is that you state the obvious - but apparently the obvious isn't transparent enough, because so many take what they say as THE Word.

Shaw is not part of the solution, but is part of the problem. Has been, is, always will be. The fog isn't lifting anytime soon. If we're lucky we'll find a lighthouse before we're ship wrecked for another 10 years ...