Thread: Captain Bulger

Captain Bulger

Friday, May 28, 2004

For the first time in his career, QB Marc Bulger entered the 2004 veterans’ minicamp as the Rams’ starting quarterback.

Named the starter by Head Coach Mike Martz in April, Bulger looks to follow up on the 2003 season in which he started 16 games, and led the Rams to a 12-4 record. Bulger, who was named offensive captain last week, says that this being “his team” this early in the season doesn’t change his approach to the game.

“I played 16 games last year, “ says Bulger. “Like I’ve said, it’s not my team. It’s the Rams. We have Marshall (Faulk), we have Torry (Holt), we have a lot of leaders on this team, and so it’s not just me.”

Bulger had a breakout season last year as he finished second in the NFC and NFL in completions, third in the NFC (fifth in the NFL) in completion percentage, first in the NFC (third in the NFL in passing yards and sixth in the NFC in passer rating. He earned his first Pro Bowl invitation and threw a record four touchdowns in the Pro Bowl, earning MVP honors.

Bulger took most of the snaps in camp, with veteran Chris Chandler backing him up, as well as sixth-round draft pick Jeff Smoker. QB Kurt Warner was excused from mini-camp.

“In some respects, Kurt not being there helping me get better,” said Bulger of the missing two-time NFL MVP. “I am definitely where I am today because of him and it is one less coach out there that I will have.”

With nearly four months away from football, Bulger admits that it will take a while to knock off some of the off-season rust. He says it good just to get back with teammates and to work some of the kinks out of the offense.

Chandler, who is entering his 17th season, can give Bulger some veteran advice. Bulger says he is looking forward to it.

“Much like Kurt, he recognizes defenses without having to process it,“ said Bulger. “It is definitely going to be a benefit to me.”

In addition to being the starter, Bulger was named team captain, joining RB Marshall Faulk (perpetuity) S Aeneas Williams (perpetuity), DT Tyoka Jackson (defense) and K Jeff Wilkins (special teams).

“It is an honor,” Bulger said. “It’s probably the biggest honor that I have had in my football career. It’s definitely something that I will always cherish.”
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Captain Bulger-bulger.jpg  

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Captain Marc

“It is an honor,” Bulger said. “It’s probably the biggest honor that I have had in my football career. It’s definitely something that I will always cherish.”
    Well said Captain Marc!