general counsel is offline Registered User

Cardinals D outscores Rams O to win NFC West; The good, the bad and the ugly

They are no longer the Big Dead. The Cardinals romped over the Rams 34-10 today to clinch the NFC Least title. The Rams offense scored their first td in a month, managing to punch in a five yard drive after our best play of the day, a terrific INT by Ron Bartell. Meanwhile, the Cardinals scored two defensive td's, including a fumble return off a cough up by Steven Jackson and a 100 yard int return off an errant bulger throw.

The Rams moved the ball better than they have of late and played solid run defense allowing only 63 rushing yards and very few after the first two or three drives. However, the Rams running game died in the second half and we had no pass rush to answer captain kurt, allowing him all day to pick us apart with throws to breaston, fitzgerald and boldin.

Seattle is next, our best chance for a win this year. The game will have interesting draft pick implications and NO OTHER SIGNFICANCE of any kind to anyone other than Rams or Seahawks fans. Its been a long time since a Rams Seahawks game had zero impact on any playoff race.

The Good

Great INT by Bartell, read the ball well and ran it back with authority to the 5 yard line. Of course, the play was caused by one of two plays all game on which we got pressure on warner (the other being a nice sack by Leonard Little, who hopped off injured after the play).

The defensive line finally played the run, allowing only 63 yards rushing.
    Jackson ran hard and effectively in the first half (8-48). Of course, his second half was a disaster. Aside from the two fumbles, he ran 11 times for 16 yards in the second half to finish 19-64.

I thought bulger was better today. Better offensive line play helped and i am not defending the 100 yard int of course. 22/37/228/1 td 1 int, a good deal of the yardage was late in the game. We didnt throw downfield once in the second half, bulger was 6-8 for 17 yards in the first half. He had some drops and donnie avery really looked like a rookie today as he was out of position while open at least twice, including an open 3rd down route in the first half that he failed to identify. Bulger wasnt great, but he was better.

Another nice game for donnie jones, who punted only twice for a 55 yd average.
    Great punt return by stanley. I think he is the return guy next year.
    Nice to see haslett sit Baron. I wonder what team rule he violated other than excessive false starts. Goldberg wasnt very good and Barron played in the second half.

Pisa had 9 tackles. Nice game. As a team, we tackled MUCH better today.

The Bad

No pass rush at all. One sack and only two pressures. We all know what happens if you dont get in warners face and we saw it all day today.
    These deep first quarter holes (14-0 after two possessions) are killing us.

Avery needs to learn basic route running skills and ball recognition on the hot reads. He looked like a rookie today. Lord knows that bulger misses ike bruce, who was exactly where he was supposed to be 100% of the time.
    Our red zone play continues to stink. The brown field goal miss didnt help, but its not like it made the difference today.

The Ugly

The two jackson fumbles killed us. The fumble for a td effectively ended the game.
    The 100 yd td return certainly qualified as ugly.

Summary

On the whole, we just got beat by a better team. This was not our worst game at all, but that is an incredibly low bar. The bottom line is we werent close at all at the end. Three turnovers just isnt going to get it done and the jackson fumbles just cant happen. We have a pulse (albeit faint) with jackson in the game, but if he fumbles, we really have no chance to win. The short dink and dunk passing is fine, but it has failed to get us into the end zone for five weeks. Thats right guys, its five weeks since we had a DRIVE longer than 5 yards for a td. How pathetic is that?

Bring on the seahawks and lets keep the draft pick discussion active. Andre Smith anyone?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: Cardinals D outscores Rams O to win NFC West; The good, the bad and the ugly

Nice summary GC. The fact is the Rams are just a very bad football team right now.
    Andre Smith would look great wearing the horns. Would also like to see us add a center from the draft like Mack out of Cal or Unger out of Oregon

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Re: Cardinals D outscores Rams O to win NFC West; The good, the bad and the ugly

After watching the SEC championship game I keyed in on two players who the Rams might consider targeting. On Florida, I watched Brandon Spikes. He made great tackles and defended the pass well for a LB. Heck, he even tossed down Andre Smith! Andre had an average day, moved his feet well at times and also gave up on some plays, so I'm wondering if Oher is any better. If Spikes falls out of the first round we should look at him.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    They are no longer the Big Dead. The Cardinals romped over the Rams 34-10 today to clinch the NFC Least title. The Rams offense scored their first td in a month, managing to punch in a five yard drive after our best play of the day, a terrific INT by Ron Bartell. Meanwhile, the Cardinals scored two defensive td's, including a fumble return off a cough up by Steven Jackson and a 100 yard int return off an errant bulger throw.

The Rams moved the ball better than they have of late and played solid run defense allowing only 63 rushing yards and very few after the first two or three drives. However, the Rams running game died in the second half and we had no pass rush to answer captain kurt, allowing him all day to pick us apart with throws to breaston, fitzgerald and boldin.

Seattle is next, our best chance for a win this year. The game will have interesting draft pick implications and NO OTHER SIGNFICANCE of any kind to anyone other than Rams or Seahawks fans. Its been a long time since a Rams Seahawks game had zero impact on any playoff race.

The Good

Great INT by Bartell, read the ball well and ran it back with authority to the 5 yard line. Of course, the play was caused by one of two plays all game on which we got pressure on warner (the other being a nice sack by Leonard Little, who hopped off injured after the play).

The defensive line finally played the run, allowing only 63 yards rushing.
    Jackson ran hard and effectively in the first half (8-48). Of course, his second half was a disaster. Aside from the two fumbles, he ran 11 times for 16 yards in the second half to finish 19-64.

I thought bulger was better today. Better offensive line play helped and i am not defending the 100 yard int of course. 22/37/228/1 td 1 int, a good deal of the yardage was late in the game. We didnt throw downfield once in the second half, bulger was 6-8 for 17 yards in the first half. He had some drops and donnie avery really looked like a rookie today as he was out of position while open at least twice, including an open 3rd down route in the first half that he failed to identify. Bulger wasnt great, but he was better.

Another nice game for donnie jones, who punted only twice for a 55 yd average.
    Great punt return by stanley. I think he is the return guy next year.
    Nice to see haslett sit Baron. I wonder what team rule he violated other than excessive false starts. Goldberg wasnt very good and Barron played in the second half.

Pisa had 9 tackles. Nice game. As a team, we tackled MUCH better today.

The Bad

No pass rush at all. One sack and only two pressures. We all know what happens if you dont get in warners face and we saw it all day today.
    These deep first quarter holes (14-0 after two possessions) are killing us.

Avery needs to learn basic route running skills and ball recognition on the hot reads. He looked like a rookie today. Lord knows that bulger misses ike bruce, who was exactly where he was supposed to be 100% of the time.
    Our red zone play continues to stink. The brown field goal miss didnt help, but its not like it made the difference today.

The Ugly

The two jackson fumbles killed us. The fumble for a td effectively ended the game.
    The 100 yd td return certainly qualified as ugly.

Summary

On the whole, we just got beat by a better team. This was not our worst game at all, but that is an incredibly low bar. The bottom line is we werent close at all at the end. Three turnovers just isnt going to get it done and the jackson fumbles just cant happen. We have a pulse (albeit faint) with jackson in the game, but if he fumbles, we really have no chance to win. The short dink and dunk passing is fine, but it has failed to get us into the end zone for five weeks. Thats right guys, its five weeks since we had a DRIVE longer than 5 yards for a td. How pathetic is that?

Bring on the seahawks and lets keep the draft pick discussion active. Andre Smith anyone?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Great break down as always, however, I'm not sold on Andre Smith after watching him in the SEC title game last night.

Mooselini Guest

Good analysis like always GC. Look forward to these every sunday when I come home from work.

Today, the offense looked a bit better. Sure, we weren't a great offense. But DEFINATELY better than last week. Good improvement. Need to grow off of the slight improvement.

Great play by Bartell. He needs to be locked up.

Today, shows us fans what we REALLY need to fix. Defense folks. After watching the SEC game, I'm sold on the fact that maybe we need to go defense.

Leonard Little had another sack. Which is good. We still need more pressure. I don't know what happened to Chris Long though. I was at work. So if someone can fill me in that'd be nice.

Jackson certainly didn't have a good game at all. The interception wasn't pretty either.

jkramsfan Guest

nice post once again GC, Bulger played much better today,the INT kind of ruins his day but overall much improvment over last week, Jackson can't fumble like that,1 is excusable but 2 in that short period of time is no good.Avery really did look like a rookie today thats why some people that wanted to give him the key to the city after a couple of good TD catches should pull back abit and give him some more time,he will be very good but it won't happen over night.Overall. it did bother me at the end of the game to see those NFC West championship hats and shirts in the Cards locker room,but we will get back there someday.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

I see the Rams working. At this point of the season and with our record, the only thing we can do is prepare for the future. Besides the unfortunate 100 yard pic, late, Marc Bulger managed a fairly good offense, considering what he has to work with, the questionable play calling, along with the other turnovers. Bulger sadly didn't have Torry Holt in the 1st half, as the veteran WR did his disappearing act once again, in the first two quarters. Deja vue for Steven Jackson again, two fumbles back to back, contributing to the losing cause. It seems the same thing happen to Jackson in a game back in '06. The front line is getting better. ALEX BARRON - DON'T LOSE FOCUS! KLOP seeing more action is developing. Avery & Burton sucked it up today, understandable being rookies.

The defense is still very soft, but today at least the effort was there. The Rams has to have the weakest pass rush in the league. Pisa played well today, Bartell made some good plays as well. Rams need to make WRs pay coming across our middle.

Josh Brown has missed his share of chippies, this year. Caused maybe from a lack of interest in the ball games, but the 50 yarders are no problem for Brownie.

These days we'll just have to suffer through the bad and the ugly until the Rams are good again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Really appreciate your discipline with these G / B / U commentaries, despite the loosing lowdowns. Much obliged, GC! Was able to RP you for this.

Last year was an exasperating one for the Rams. 2008 has just been an ugly season. But there is hope and that's why I appreciate the positive notes in these reports.

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

Nice overall review. We just need a makeover especially in the defensive approach. The secondary is a bunch of holes. But offensively we need better protection for the new receiving corps to mature. I think Holt is probably gone to Carolina.
    It's going to be an interesting offseason. We can beat the Seahawks, but not with only scoring 10 points. The seahawks still average with better scoring.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The defensive line finally played the run, allowing only 63 yards rushing...
    As usual, a real quality summary. However...

I don't mean to be a Donnie Downer here, but we are talking about holding the worst rushing offense in the NFL to 63 yds. Granted we've made other poor running games look good this year, but I'm not sure AZ could've gotten much more yardage on the ground even if our D-line wasn't playing (Insert your own smart-a$$ comment here). This isn't really chest pounding material.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!