39thebeast is offline Registered User

Carriker learning from Howie Long

This is great for the Rams. John Clayton reports Adam Carikker was learning from Howie long how to use his hands properly. They both have height in common and have to use their hands well to succeed.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Re: Carriker learning from Howie Long

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    This is great for the Rams. John Clayton reports Adam Carikker was learning from Howie long how to use his hands properly. They both have height in common and have to use their hands well to succeed.
    Indeed, Howie wasn't too bad in his day...
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

z.nrd Guest

FWIW. To clarify. Actually Carriker came out of Nebraska well-coached in how to use his hands. On draft day, I forget whether it was the NFL Net or ESPN, but, one of their ex-jock analysts said that Carriker used his hands better than any DL in college.

This might sound like semantics, then, but, Carriker couldn't be learning how to use his hands properly...it's probably more like he is refining that skill with Long.

And obviously that's a good thing.

You know who Carriker reminds me of? In terms of his complete dedication to technique and refinging his game, and to some extent in terms of character too? Jack Youngblood. JY was intense, athletic, dedicated, and a consummate craftsman. They are nothing alike physically as linemen, so won't look the same when they play, but, AC just has the same professionalism and intense interest in working on his game.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -06-14-2007 at 03:19 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I forget whether it was the NFL Net or ESPN, but, one of their ex-jock analysts said that Carriker used his hands better than any DL in college.
    I believe it was both. I know Mike Mayock (the greatest draft mind on the planet) on NFLN said it, and I'm certain one of (though I don't recall which) the concussion cases on ESPN said it as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You know who Adam Carriker doesn't remind me of? Jimmy Kennedy.

Right now, if I had to draw a comparison to a current player that Carriker could hope to be like, it would be Richard Seymour or Kevin Williams. Both of those players are similar in build to AC, and both have successfully moved between the DE and DT positions.