RamWraith is offline Registered User

Carriker, Leonard get taste of NFL

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --
    Top rookies Adam Carriker and Brian Leonard got their first taste of full-pad contact in the NFL during the first two days of the St. Louis Rams' training camp.

Rams coach Scott Linehan has liked what he's seen from both players.

"You're talking about two guys who were born with football pads on," Linehan said.

Carriker missed the Rams' first practice in full pads on Friday morning because he was finalizing a five-year, $12.8 million contract.

He took part in the Rams' night practice in shells (helmet, shoulder pads and shorts), and then donned full pads on Saturday afternoon.

"It was a good for first day for him," Linehan said of Carriker, the 13th overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. "I knew he wouldn't disappoint. He looked that way on film when he played in pads."

The Rams are counting on Carriker and Leonard filling important roles this season.

Carriker is the starting nose tackle.

"Last night, I was a little bit rusty, but I felt pretty good today," Carriker said. "I just hadn't practice for a while, so I had to get back in the groove. Luckily, I missed only one practice, so I wasn't too far behind."

Leonard is the backup to Pro Bowl running back Steven Jackson.

"First of all, I think Steven Jackson is a great guy," Leonard said. "He is helping me out a lot. I just want to get in there and help him out. He had over 1,500 yards rushing and over 800 yards receiving. That's a lot of hits. Hopefully, I can get in there and take a couple of his reps and take some hits off his body.'

Leonard, a second-round pick out of Rutgers, has managed the difficult task of learning multiple positions. He is working at fullback, running back and all the special teams unit.

" He is really doing a nice job, and the thing I'm real happy about is how he doing mentally," Linehan said.

Linebacker shortage

The Rams' linebacking corps was down to just six players as both Chris Draft and Tim McGarigle didn't practice on Saturday.

Chris Draft, who has asthma, has been hospitalized due to swelling in his throat.

McGarigle pulled his hamstring on the last play of practice on Friday night.

Linehan said McGarigle could be sidelined for a week.

Another linebacker, rookie Kevin McLee, has left the squad.

Linehan said the Rams are bringing back linebacker Jamal Brooks, who played seven games as a reserve last season.

Quick hits

Wide receiver Dominique Thompson, who spent last season and the better part of the 2005 season on the Rams' practice squad, has gotten work with both the first-string and second-string units.

"He deserves it from where he started and how far he's come since he's been here," Linehan said. "He had a great offseason for us."

Linehan said the competition for the job of No. 6 wide receiver is wide open. Thompson, Marques Hagans, a sixth-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, and Derek Stanley, a seventh-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, are the leading candidates for that roster spot.

• Linehan said guard Claude Terrell's wrist appears to be 100 percent healthy.

Terrell, who missed all of last season due to a wrist problem and raised Linehan's ire by not having surgery to repair the injury, has been able to handle a full work load.

"I haven't seen any reason to believe he has any problem with it anymore," Linehan said of Terrell's wrist. "He looks good. He has that natural size, that wide body (6-foot-2, 330 pounds), and that's one thing you can't coach. I've been really happy about the progress he's made since he's come back off that rest."

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Carriker, Leonard get taste of NFL

"I haven't seen any reason to believe he has any problem with it anymore," Linehan said of Terrell's wrist. "He looks good. He has that natural size, that wide body (6-foot-2, 330 pounds), and that's one thing you can't coach. I've been really happy about the progress he's made since he's come back off that rest."
    O line could be very good. I did not see Terrell having a shot a year ago.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I read on another article where one coach called Carriker a "beast." I love it.

RealRam is offline Registered User

"First of all, I think Steven Jackson is a great guy," Leonard said. "He is helping me out a lot. I just want to get in there and help him out. He had over 1,500 yards rushing and over 800 yards receiving. That's a lot of hits. Hopefully, I can get in there and take a couple of his reps and take some hits off his body.'
    That's just one of the aspects of Leonard's character, IMO. I firmly believe we have an outstanding man / player in this young RB and that he will fit and contribute surprisingly well, even if his own personal production is modest in terms of numbers.

Hope LB Draft soon recovers 100%. McGarigle too! I'd like to see Tim develop and display his tackling prowess on ST and as LB depth. He apparently was one of those true tackling machines at Northwestern.
    Keep it up as a Ram! :bash:

Also, very glad to see big Terrell working hard in the OL drills. Vindication. He may yet prove to be a valuable Guard and earn the respect of the team, players and coaches, not to mention the opponents. Go for it CT!
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-29-2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Format

KingHigh is offline Registered User

Leonard is also a beast. Trust me. Wait till you see this guy in the pre-season, you are going to all get serious man love for this guy. He's a pure winner and the total team player. He will perform with excellence no matter what he's asked to do, even if that means to fill in for SJ when SJ needs a breather.

"I watched the RBs hit the sled, it wasn't pretty. There were four sleds. SJ went first. Going right to left, he hit the first one good, second one good, third one ok but the fourth one barely moved.

Same thing happened for #33 Harris, #32 Rich Alexis (who I like) and the others. When #36 JD Washington hit the fourth sled it look like the sled was hitting him because after making contact Washington went backwards a couple of steps.

Only #23 Leonard was able to get movement on the fourth sled.
    He used short, compact thrusts to move each sled. No wasted motion.

I heard some of the crowd say that the fourth sled was broken. This wasn't the case because the second time through the backs went left to right which made the fourth sled on the opposite side.

Again only Leonard moved each sled."

I am so excited to see him tear it up in the NFL. People have no clue how much he's going to help your team. What a beast!

RamsNation is offline Registered User

I'm very high on both Carriker and Leonard, really curious to see everybody and can't wait for preseason!

GSOT is offline Registered User

LOL I was right there too when the RB's where hitting the sled. Did you hear one of the players say that he bet 5 dollars that they couldn't move the last sled... Leonard was next up and moved the last sled with ease it was kind of funy.. We must have been right next to each other or something. I was the taller blond guy with a NIKE shirt on.. Anyways Leonard looked like the smallest or 2nd smallest RB's out there and compared to the other fullbacks he looked very very small.. This guy has obviously lost weight and is obviously a running back not a full back.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Even if Leonard has lost some weight and girth, it certainly seems that if anything, he's stronger than ever. He certainly knows how to hit well and I'm sure will punish quite a few linebackers and safeties this year. Hopefully his pass protection skills come along nicely.

KingHigh is offline Registered User

TekeRam, fwiw, Leonard was instrumenal in Rutgers' pass protection last year, which gave up the fewest sacks in the big east. So-called experts are grasping at straws to knock BL because they can't fathom a white runningback being as good as BL is.

He excels at everything on the football field.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KingHigh View Post
    TekeRam, fwiw, Leonard was instrumenal in Rutgers' pass protection last year, which gave up the fewest sacks in the big east. So-called experts are grasping at straws to knock BL because they can't fathom a white runningback being as good as BL is.

He excels at everything on the football field.
    Black or white, the large majority of running backs aren't going to be as good as Jackson. I'd love to see him int here on passing down for protection if he's good at it, it'll also give Jackson that much more rest. I've soon many clips of Leonard, I'd be giddy if he actually suceeded in his patented hurdle move in the NFL, and he seems like a good guy and team player. With both of them in the backfeild, I think we have something very special in our running game.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If Brian pulls off a 'Leonard Leap' during an NFL game, especially if its on the way to a TD, i think i will actually faint through the sheer awesomeness of it!