RamWraith is offline Registered User

Carriker makes an impression

Linehan likes what he sees from No. 1 pick

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --
    Adam Carriker's first day of work in the NFL reminded him a lot of his first day at the University of Nebraska.

"When I left Washington for Nebraska, it was kind of the same thing," Carriker said. "You feel that little boy thing inside of you. You get the butterflies, you get anxious, you get excited, you get ready to play."

Carriker, the St. Louis Rams' first-round pick in the 2007 NFL draft, was working at both the defensive tackle spots -- nose guard and three-technique -- on Saturday during the opening day of the team's rookie minicamp.

"I'll play wherever," said Carriker, who played defensive end in college. "I might see a little end down the road, but for now, it's just going to be inside."

The 6-foot-6, 296-pound Carriker said playing defensive tackle is going to be an adjustment for him.

"It's definitely different," Carriker said. "On the outside, it's a lot more of a speed game. Obviously, you still have to hold the point of attack a little bit, but on the inside, there's a lot more double teams and a lot more linemen hitting you. It's a lot more physical."

Rams coach Scott Linehan said Carriker made a good first impression.

"I'm trying to reserve my optimism without sounding impressed, but I'm pretty impressed with this guy," Linehan said. "I felt pretty good about our ability to draft him two weeks ago.

"Now that he's here and being able to see him in a Rams uniform confirms why we felt so strongly about him. I think he is going to be really special."

There's no pads and little contact during the minicamp, which includes only rookies and first-year players. Veterans will arrive Tuesday for organized team activities (OTAs).

Carriker said he's still working himself into shape. He hasn't played in a game since the Senior Bowl on Jan. 27 in Mobile, Ala.

"It's definitely intense," Carriker said. "I am going to be sore tomorrow. That's what you expect coming into the rookie camp. I haven't played since the Senior Bowl two or three months ago, so it's just a matter of getting back in football shape.

"There's a level of difference, but I expect it to come up even more when the veterans get here. Right now, it's like the freshmen waiting for the varsity to get here."

Carriker said he's getting challenged mentally as well as physically.

"They threw like half the playbook at me," Carriker said. "I'm sure it wasn't anything close to it, but it kind of felt like it. I have to learn it, and make it like it's second nature."

Carriker, wearing the same No. 90 jersey that he wore at Nebraska, received some constructive prodding from Rams defensive line coach Joe Baker after making a few mental mistakes during his first practice Saturday.

"It was nothing too crazy as long as you are going hard," Carriker said. "They know everybody is going to make mistakes right now. It's the first day.

"As long as you're giving good effort, they're not going to blow your head off or anything."

Carriker was born in Hastings, Neb., but his family moved to Kennewick, Wash., when he was 3 years old because his father, who works in the oil refinery business, was transferred there.

At Kennewick High School, Carriker played quarterback and defensive end.

"We were 0-9 my senior season, so I was kind of running for my life back there a little bit," Carriker said of his quarterbacking skills.

Carriker had 15 sacks, four pass deflections, four forced fumbles and 25 tackles for a loss at defensive end his senior season in high school. He received scholarship offers from several PAC-10 schools, but said his first choice was Nebraska.

"I was always a Nebraska fan," Carriker said. "When they offered, it was pretty academic."

Carriker went against Rams right guard Richie Incognito in practice during his first few seasons at Nebraska. It's not surprising that the two high-energy players got into a fight.

"We got into one, and I won," Carriker said. "He might say different, but I'm going to say I won. It was a goal-line scrimmage, and our nose tackle was out.

"After the play, I think some punches were thrown. I don't even remember specifically what happened."

Carriker could be seeing a lot more of Incognito if he lines up at nose tackle during the team's mandatory minicamp in June, and during training camp later this summer.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Carriker makes an impression

Wow, Carriker vs. Incognito, I can't imagine a more vicious fight than that on our team. Clash of the Titans. I wonder who's going to step in there and stop that fight if it happens in camp, I sure wouldn't want to be caught in the middle, probably takes half the team to put a stop to a fight like that! Can't wait to see them both smash some 49'er-ass instead, bring on the season!

Keenum is offline Registered User

I remember watching Carriker during the Senior Bowl. I was sitting there, thinking "Dang, this guy has been in the backfield for half the day!" His stock started rising a lot after that game.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Is this guy a monster or what? man can't believe no one jumped on him sooner than 13th!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Is this guy a monster or what? Man can't believe no one jumped on him sooner than 13th!
    Yes, and to think that for weeks Alan Branch was placed as high as No. 6 on the pre-draft board by some experts. We'll see, we'll see what the future holds for the top (3) DL drafted but right now I'm so comfortably biased towards big AC!

blood85 is offline Registered User

I can't wait to see the guy play, I really do feel he will help the team.