RamWraith is offline Registered User

Carriker's injury caps season

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/02/2008

Adam Carriker (center) receives praise from defensive line coach Brian Baker against Arizona on Sunday. Later, Carriker injured his shoulder; he will need surgery.
    (Chris Lee/P-D)

In a cruel way, it was a fitting end to the Rams' 2007 season. En route to a 48-19 loss to Arizona, the Rams suffered yet another serious injury Sunday.

Rookie defensive tackle Adam Carriker couldn't finish the game. He suffered a torn labrum muscle in his shoulder and will need surgery.

"It's a significant injury; you're looking at sixth months," coach Scott Linehan said.

With surgery scheduled for next week, Carriker probably won't be cleared for contact until mid-June, which means he will miss minicamp, organized team activities and at least some of the offseason conditioning program.

"He's going to be pushed back into training camp," Linehan said. "He's never really had a major injury, so my guess is he would be back sooner than a lot of guys."

Until the injury, Carriker had been a model of durability for the Rams in practices and games. Voted as the team's rookie of the year last week, Carriker suffered the injury late in the first half against the Cardinals. He kept playing for a while but eventually was removed from the game.

"It's typical of these injuries," Linehan said. "You stick your arm out and a guy hits it funny."

Linehan said the shoulder injury, despite its severity, is not career-threatening.

"It's easily corrected, but it just takes so long for the rehab," Linehan said.

Carriker isn't the only Rams player headed for surgery. Linehan said linebacker Brandon Chillar will join offensive lineman Todd Steussie in requiring surgery to remove bone spurs in his ankle.

If there's a silver lining to Carriker's injury, at least it won't cause him to miss any games. That wasn't the case for many of his teammates this season.

By season's end, the Rams had 12 players on the injured reserve list. Together, 27 players missed at least one full game because of injuries. Those 27 Rams missed a total of 152 games.

No matter what you say about the performance of the Rams' coaching staff or their players, if you lose that many players — and that many games to injury — you're not going to have a winning season.

"You can win more games than three," Linehan conceded. "But you're going to have a hell of a time getting to where you want to be. We're not the first team that's gone through a lot of injuries. But I'll tell you, I've personally never seen anything like it."

The injuries hit the offensive line particularly hard. Four offensive linemen, including three starters, ended up on the season-ending injured-reserve list. Four offensive line starters missed four or more games due to injury. Of the 80 possible starts by the preferred five starters, 44 games were missed because of injury.

A look at the Rams' three division championship teams since the move to St. Louis shows the importance of continuity:

— The 2003 NFC West champions: The five line starters didn't miss a single start.

— The 2001 Super Bowl runners-up: The five line starters missed three of 80 starts.

— The 1999 Super Bowl champions: The five line starters missed only two of 80 starts.

One of Linehan's biggest tasks as he prepares for the 2008 season is to figure out what, if anything, can be done to reduce injuries.

Linehan said he will look at everything that could influence the amount of injuries, "from what we do in our offseason program, to the surface we play on. All those things have to be looked at."

"Some of it has to be bad luck," he said. "But some of it maybe is preventable. If I get any feeling one way or another that something needs to change, we're going to have to try something different. If it's all chalked up to bad breaks, that's one thing. But there's got to be some time put into (studying), that's for sure."

When Linehan was talking about playing surface, he meant the artificial turf at the Edward Jones Dome, not the turf at the Rams Park indoor facility.

"We've never really had any of our problems from there (Rams Park)," Linehan said.

But the Rams have had a new surface in the dome in both of Linehan's seasons as head coach, so the surface isn't very worn in.

"Maybe that has something to do with it," Linehan said.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Carriker's injury caps season

I believe Linehan's approach to the preseason for 2007 back fired on him. He didn't play the starters as much as I thought he should have. It's one thing to be in practice shape but game shape is a higher level. Just my 2 cents.

Rambos is offline Registered User

AC is just one last kick in the head.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Classic ending to the season, but with all due respect, i dont believe that the injuries had one single iota of anything to do with how much anyone played in the preseason. I dont believe that our starters played any more or any less than those on any other team on average. I dont believe that tearing your knee, shoulder, breaking your foot when someone falls on you etc has anything to do with the kind of shape you are in.

Consider how many guys got injuried early in the season. Arguably, if we werent in great shape coming into the season we should have worn down as the season went on. I dont think that happened. Its just bad bad luck.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Classic ending to the season, but with all due respect, i dont believe that the injuries had one single iota of anything to do with how much anyone played in the preseason. I dont believe that our starters played any more or any less than those on any other team on average. I dont believe that tearing your knee, shoulder, breaking your foot when someone falls on you etc has anything to do with the kind of shape you are in.

Consider how many guys got injuried early in the season. Arguably, if we werent in great shape coming into the season we should have worn down as the season went on. I dont think that happened. Its just bad bad luck.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Agreed, the amount of injuries were unfortunate and just one of those things.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

The injuries hit the offensive line particularly hard. Four offensive linemen, including three starters, ended up on the season-ending injured-reserve list. Four offensive line starters missed four or more games due to injury. Of the 80 possible starts by the preferred five starters, 44 games were missed because of injury.

A look at the Rams' three division championship teams since the move to St. Louis shows the importance of continuity:

— The 2003 NFC West champions: The five line starters didn't miss a single start.

— The 2001 Super Bowl runners-up: The five line starters missed three of 80 starts.

— The 1999 Super Bowl champions: The five line starters missed only two of 80 starts.
    To those that poo-poo on the obvious fact that the injuries were the sole reason for our demise this season, there is no denying that these stats tell the tale. Maybe it wasn't just Martz?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    To those that poo-poo on the obvious fact that the injuries were the sole reason for our demise this season, there is no denying that these stats tell the tale. Maybe it wasn't just Martz?
    If you actually think that that the "stats" you posted prove that injuries were the "sole reason" for the demise this season, you obviously have no understanding of statistics or, at an even more basic level, the definition of the words "sole" or "reason."

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I thought this was a telling atricle with some very well made points, not least regarding the injury situation.

Jim Thomas is head and shoulders above some others we could mention............

Its the first time that I've seen a clear picture painted regarding the correlation between injury and performance relative to Rams teams of recent vintage. Nick and others have contributed several excellent posts making the exact same points, but they have been largely submerged by the welter of "Loserhan" type posts. These posts tend to discount the injury situation entirely, downplay the extent of the injuries, or acknowledge them whilst maintaining that Linehan should still somehow have managed to surmount them.

Quite simply, injuries wrecked our season and reduced our coaching regime to limiting the damage. Whether they could have done better in specific situations can be debated, but to suggest that we can somehow separate any evaluation of our staff from consideration of the injury situation isn't realistic. Marginally less so, is the contention that their peformance in view of the injuries was disastrously negligent.

Peter King writing briefly on our situation in several articles in SI, and now Jim Thomas, illustrate why Shaw has taken the decision to allow Linehan one more shot at proving why he was hired in the first place. We should not look at the won-loss record in isolation when judging the coaching staff, and we should not be looking at the evidence of one season, whatever the circumstances of it.

I've touched on it before, but the absence of vitriol (With the exception of fansites of course) flowing Linehans way has been surprising. I don't feel that its down to a lack of interest in the market that is St Louis, in as much as it is a recognition that the story there is all too obvious. Say it once and you say it a thousand times.....injuries. Largely the press has been sympathetic or understanding, with the notable and voluble exception of Mr Miklasz.

Player reaction has also gone largely unreported in the wider media as a result, although the local media has fixed its attention on three negative situations. Jackson, Bulger and latterly Holt, have had their laspses of discipline seized upon by those who had been claiming well in advance of any occurrence, that Linehan had 'lost' the locker-room. Anything positive that was said, including by players that may have indulged themselves in an 'eye-roll' or two, was dismissed as towing the part-line. Interesting how such things can be taken very differently.

My personal point of view, and in making this point I am utterly indifferent to any accusations of disloyalty on my part as they are ridiculous , is that Holt's reaction was utterly unacceptable. A foul mouthed rant in public is nothing more than a lapse of composure unacceptable in a public figure on national television. It is immaterial to me whether it had ever been performed before or at Holt's general conduct to date, it is quite simply unacceptable conduct.

Simon Barnes, writing in The Times (www.times.co.uk) made what I thought was a point applicable to the Rams situation when he said
    Shame on those who think decency a weakness
    . He was writing about the lamentable conduct of English football players but the larger point stands. Holt wasn't displaying leadership, he wasn't conveying the opinion of his peers, he was reacting out of frustration in an immature and unacceptable way.

He should have apologised, if not to Linehan, then to anyone who witnessed the outburst or heard it.

I'd be very disappointed if the Clan as a whole thought that such behaviour should be condoned or encouraged. Understood and forgiven perhaps but never justified.

And yes, I've been guilty of such things before in my sporting past and I've apologised for them. Few of us are saints.

Linehan suffers for his seemingly diffident manner, his decency if you will. There are those in this sport who define their idea of leadership as the showy theatricality of aggression, all fist pumping, eye popping, chest thumping bravado. Screaming and shouting are the preferred modes of encouragement. Both in sport and in work, I have found these to be very limited in their application and Linehan, in his way obviously works a little differently. Its not a problem when you win, but it does seem to be an issue to some when you lose.

Win like Belichick or lose like Linehan?

That should be a tough choice.

All this said though, Linehan has to do better next year. My own view is that if we stay healthy, we have a reasonable shot at the playoffs. Our talent is not such that we can surmount an injury rash and there's no talent or coaching in the league that could surmount what we've seen this season.

I don't believe it was pre-season prep either. As GC has stated, luck plays a large part in this game and every other. Would the Pats be 16-0 if that Ravens assistant hadn't ballsed up? Unlikely, so fortune looks for its favourites, but Linehan will be looking at every aspect of his operation including himself. He hasn't been given a mulligan, he's been given an opportunity to work even harder next season at making the Rams a winning program. I don't know how many wins will be enough for him to get to the end of his contract but a winning record would be a start.

He hasn't been given a mulligan by the remaining few who think he should be given a third year either. Derided and lampooned by those with a more 'microwave' mentality(The Rev's words not mine), those of us who feel that the third year is justified haven't signed a free pass. We haven't lost our senses.We're no less Rams fans and we don't like to worry sheep, we just feel that Mr Shaw may well be in the right of it when he states that its too hard to Judge Linehan on the evidence of this season. Many around the league agree with him and us, and go further in making the point that in an era when young coaches are increasingly making headway (Mangini has also slipped this year but will keep his job) the long view is a pre-requisite. (SI)

How many times do the Browns look over at the Pats and wish they had taken that longer view? How many times do steeler fans thank their lucky starts that Cowher didn't get canned after losing the championship game numerous times? How many times do Manchester United fans bless themselves for their board not firing Sir Alex Ferguson after three seasons?

Equally of course, Linehan could turn out to be none of these, more Brooks than Belichick, but I'm certain that Linehan has more chance of winning games than a new coaching staff would and that if we don't give him another year we won't find out.

Winning takes time.

I'm going to leave out all mention of ownership, the #2 pick, St-Louis area fans and stadiums for later times, I've gone on far too long in any case, but there's a few ways of solving our issues that don't involve firing the coach. Solutions involving people are never simple and if they are they don't work.

Oh and Happy new year to all those at the Clan, and to those who read these boards. Whether we agree or disagree, we do so through choice and its a nice choice to have.

Peace.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -01-03-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Truth is offline Registered User

First of all, to Fat Pang, Happy new Year to you too! And, WOW, wow, wow. I've never seen you write so much at one time. I had to go get a second cup of coffee before I finished. Not because you bored me, but because I finished m first cup before I got to the end of your post.

As for giving Linehan a "pass" for this season. I don't think it's a pass. Injuries DID play a major role in this years debacle. However, poor coaching decisions did as well. I too believe that it takes more than one or two years to know how successful a new headcoach will be. I hope that this season proves to be the turning point for our Rams. Let us not forget how many fans were calling for Vermeil's head before 1999.

I also agree that Holt's behavior was more what I'd expect to see from T.O., than from our #1 wide receiver. If the younger guys on the team see Holt getting that frustrate on the sidelines, and taking it out on the coach in public, it can only lead to bad juju.

As for GC's comment about pre-season. I too agree that it had no bearing what-so-ever on the injury situation. I do, however, think we need to take a very serious look at off-season conditioning. What I will say about pre-season is that I'd like to see a team that looks ready to play. That looks motivated and "pumped-up" for the regular season. We haven't seen that since 2001. When the Rams look flat during the pre-season, they tend to look that way at the start of the regular season (and beyond).

As the salary cap era has taken hold of the NFL, one thing has become very apparent. If you don't have ownership and a FO that not only has a passion for winning, but an eye for talent, you will quickly become mired in the gooey, mediocre center of the NFL. Why do certain organizations seem to be able to field above average teams year in and year out? Look at their organizations from the top down. It's not just about the money. It's about desire to win. It's about not only wanting to own an NFL franchise, but to own the BEST nfl franchise. Those are the top teams year after year.
    Last edited by Truth; -01-03-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If you actually think that that the "stats" you posted prove that injuries were the "sole reason" for the demise this season, you obviously have no understanding of statistics or, at an even more basic level, the definition of the words "sole" or "reason."
    Sounds like a personal attack Av. I understand those words smart guy, and I'm pretty sure I understand how statistics can, and are used. I just need to read some of your posts. What's up? My opinion is mine, and yours is yours. Deal with it. ..mine just happen to right more often then yours.

How about I replace "sole reason" with "the most telling"? Will that do Av?

...and read the posts. I quoted a post from an article written by someone other than myself. They're not my stats. I simply agreed with the author about how telling those stats are.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -01-03-2008 at 05:27 PM.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968