Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Carter Holds Steady at Safety

Sunday, July 31, 2005
    By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Claude Terrell isn’t the only rookie making his presence felt immediately at Rams’ training camp.
    Safety Jerome Carter was the first rookie to sign a contract when he signed with St. Louis on April 28, only days after they drafted him in the fourth round. He also became the first rookie to hold down the top spot on the depth chart at his position when coach Mike Martz named him the starter at strong safety on the night before training camp began.

Carter said he is embracing the opportunity to be a starter and is ready to take the good with the bad.

“When I got here for camp and I got into the meetings, they told me I was the starter,” Carter said. “I didn’t come into this situation ruling anything out. I just told myself whether I get a starting job or I am a backup I am going to come in here and work hard because that is all I can do. It is all a learning experience; I am taking it one day at a time. I am pleased on where I am. I am not where I need to be but I am going to work hard and give 100%. If I do something wrong, I want to be doing it wrong 100%.”

Of course, Carter doesn’t mean he wants to be doing something completely wrong, rather that he would like to be giving his best effort and if he messes up at least he did it while trying hard.

Coming out of Florida State, Carter had a reputation as a big hitter. He is at his best the closer he gets to the line of scrimmage. His coverage skills probably need some fine tuning and he has missed a few assignments in practice. Most of those have been the result of simply not being used to the system.

“I try to do a lot of studying,” Carter said. “To be honest with you, a lot of the stuff is still floating around in my head. I am not on top of my game like I need to be. But then again, it isn’t time for the first game yet. I still have to improve on a lot of areas.”

Carter is going to need to continue that improvement if he wants to hold off the many competitors for his job. Oshiomogho Atogwe, Michael Stone, Michael Hawthorne and Mike Furrey are all angling for Carter’s spot. For the time being, though, it’s his to lose.

INJURY CHECK: There was a new addition to the growing list of Rams missing practice Sunday morning. Tackle Matt Morgan, who left Saturday morning’s practice early with a wet towel over his head, missed Sunday’s workout also.

talkstoangels61 Guest

Re: Carter Holds Steady at Safety

Thanks Ferty for the info!.......iwouldnt mind seeind Arch,Atogwe and carter in there somehow!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Carter Holds Steady at Safety

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Thanks Ferty for the info!.......iwouldnt mind seeind Arch,Atogwe and carter in there somehow!
    It could be a reality IF the D-line plays up to potential. My thought is this...if the front 4 can maintain the line of scrimmage and create pressure on the QB without blitzing from the LB, Marmie could play 5 DBs (2 CBs, 3 Safeties) with just a pair of LBs, but at this point I don't know that Marmie's nickel would add a 3rd safety, probably the more standard 3rd corner. However, with the potential this D-line brings to the field, there are a lot of new options that we could see.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod