Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Cause for concern?

There was ramble in the chat-room about two players from the first team, and their respective performances. Ron Bartell didn't have a great opener, and Orlando Pace was rusty, with oone member (forget who) commenting that Big O hadn't been the same in two years.

So riddle me this, clanrammers; Do you buy into concern over the first four weeks, at least, with Fakhir Brown out and Bartell performing to a level that probably isn't his best, and Orlando looking shaky?

I understand that the preseason is the time to iron the problems out. And I understand this is the first game. Personally, I'm not concerned at all, for the above reasons. Any Ram Fans prone to preseason panic attacks, though?

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: Cause for concern?

Pace looked shaky? I think that's a bit much. He had a little more penetration on his side then we usually see from a Pro Bowl version of Pace, but he didn't give anything big up really and I don't see any real cause for concern yet.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I think Pace is in pre season mode,when the games count he will come up big,he has to much pride to let lesser players get the best of him,he will return to pro bowl form.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

After re-watching the game he had a whole lot of penetration on his side. Including a couple of runs that were blown up because he failed to block ANYONE.

Say what you want but I don't think Pace's heart has been in the game for a couple of years. NO FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    Pace looked shaky? I think that's a bit much. He had a little more penetration on his side then we usually see from a Pro Bowl version of Pace, but he didn't give anything big up really and I don't see any real cause for concern yet.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

Pace never even plays preseason with all his hold out, but he will be fine.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Just my two pennies worth....

Bartell concerns me. Not necessarily because of last night's game, but because my thoughts before the season started is that he's simply a mediocre CB, and he will get exposed from time to time.

Pace? He's not the same guy he was two years ago. But doesn't every player decline physically a little as they get older? He's still very good, but there's a couple of things to remember before we start declaring him a weakness on the O-line.

First, this is the first full preseason I think he's had in several years, isn't it? ...and he's coming off a fairly significant injury. Maybe he's "Pacing" himself, still finding out how the recovery is coming along. Sometimes it's a little difficult to "let loose" after recovering from a serious injury. I remember when I was recovering from a torn ACL, it was a battle, psychologically, to tell my body it was okay to get after it. Perhaps he's still feeling it out.

How many of you have ever played sports? Did you perform perfectly each and every time you stepped out on the field? You never had a "bad game"? Look, it happens. Let's not get too excited about this first practice game. If the trend continues, then we can begin to start bailing water.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

First, this is the first full preseason I think he's had in several years, isn't it?
    Great point the guy is not used too going to camp, he just shows up and plays.He is coming off a significant injury, I'm sure he will be fine. Pace is the least of my concerns.

So riddle me this, clanrammers; Do you buy into concern over the first four weeks, at least, with Fakhir Brown out
    Yes, not just because of Bartell poor game last night, this is a young unit. Wade looked good, maybe he will step up, big maybe.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Pace signed his long term deal in 2005, so despite missing a couple years of camps prior to that, he's had two years of offseason work in '05 and '06, making this his third offseason. Frankly, I just don't think he likes the preseason or perhaps just doesn't bring his best to the exhibition contests, and one also must consider whether or not he's kind of holding back a bit since this is his first action since his injury.

As usual, you have to take some things you see in the preseason with a grain of salt, especially in the first and fourth games. So if Pace's play continues to look shaky, concern will grow. Until then, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was just a bit hesitant coming back from injury and was playing in a game he probably didn't want to be in.

I'm a bit more worried about Bartell, who isn't a former Pro Bowler and has something to prove every time he gets on the field. His play early on was pretty shaky, specifically his open field tackling. That needs to be shored up if he wants to hold down Brown's starting spot.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

i think pace is fine and when carolina comes to town he will show hes back but if he really has lost his fire . . . . . . . . . uh-O
    Torry Holt Dont play that

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think Pace probably is in that mindset that the preseason doesn't mean anything. I'll wait and see with Bartell. I'm not sure we've actually seen him playing on the corner up until now. He's used to lining up as a nickelback or safety more towards the middle of the field.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -08-12-2007 at 05:33 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The best explanation on pace in my view is that he was tentative following the surgery. Its the first contact he has had in a game since what was a major injury. to me, it makes no sense for people to think that pace doesnt take preseason seriously or doesnt care about his play because that attitude could get bulger killed and pace knows it. Even pace couldnt have known how the arm was going to feel until he tested it in game conditions.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Truth is offline Registered User

I was at the game last night. I was sitting two rows behind the Rams bench. Even if Pace looked a bit rusty on the field (I don't think he looked bad for the 1st pre-season game), he was very involved with the guys on the sideline. He rarely sat on the bench, and when he did he was usually talking technique. I know this by his hand gestures.

Glover and Carriker were also talking quite a bit on the sideline. At one point Glover was showing Carriker how to shed blocks.

I saw them wrap Holts knee in ice after about 1/2 of the first quarter. It looked like more of a precaution than anything else.

I'm just glad we got through the 1st pre-season game without any major injuries.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

blood85 is offline Registered User

The rams will be fine, it's pre-season, a time to work out the kinks and see what talent you have.