throwback week

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Cause for concern?

The "answer" is:

It was just the preseason. Spags is a defensive minded Headcoach and he will have our Defense playing at a higher level during the regular season.

The "question" is:

Our Rams posted a 3-1 preseason record back in 2009. Scoring 77 points and allowing 70.

Their 2009 regular season record was 1-15, scoring a measly 175 points while allowing 436.

Again our RAMS post a 3-1 preseason record for 2010. Scoring 89 points while allowing 101.

I think alot of us (at least I have) have been focused on the offense this preseason because of the lack of offense (and SAM BRADFORD) that was showed during the 2009 regular season. Our RAMS scored more than half of the points in four 2010 preseason games compared to the 2009 regular season. So has the defense from a fans point of view been overlooked? Allowing 101 points in 4 preseason games is not very impressive. That would put us back over the 400 points allowed mark for the 2010 regular season if we continued at that pace.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: Cause for concern?

Well, the obvious problem with your scenario is that your statistics are based of preseason games where the starters played for only a half or less. (unlike the cheating Patsy's.) This year the starters showed noticeable improvement game after game or were at least able to be consistent. The only major red flag I see at this point is our pass defense. The pass rushing looks to be a little suspect as well, but it's looking like some of those late round DE draft picks might pan out. Luckily our division isn't exactly loaded with any great QB's anymore so we should be alright. I hope.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I think we'd learn a lot more from these facts if they were broken down into 1st team offensive and defensive play.

1st team defense conceded 24 points in just over 5 quarters of play.
    - Vikings scored a touchdown after getting the ball at the Ram's 16
    - Patriots offense only scored 7 points in 2 quarters
    - Extrapolating to a full game would be roughly 18 points a game or 300 in a season.
    - The defense gave up 350 total yards which would equal 275 a game.

1st team offense scored 35 points in just over 5 quarters of play
    - Rams' best offensive weapon was only in for 2 drives
    - Bradford will only getting better as the season progresses as he gains experience
    - With all 5 starters in the offensive line has given up 1 sack

I don't think there's a cause for concern for the defense and as you said they'll be playing at a higher level in the regular season. If the defense doesn't have to be on the field for 45 minutes a game then it could be the strength of this football team.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I don't read too much into preseason records or scores. Preseason is time to look at individual players and see how they handle themselves. Here's what I read out of preseason.

1. We have a promising young QB. Good decision making skills and field presence.
    2. If Jax goes down, our running game is screwed.
    3. Amendola is going to be the next Ricky Proehl
    4. Our defense will be improved over last year if they stay healthy.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The "answer" is:

It was just the preseason. Spags is a defensive minded Headcoach and he will have our Defense playing at a higher level during the regular season.

The "question" is:

Our Rams posted a 3-1 preseason record back in 2009. Scoring 77 points and allowing 70.

Their 2009 regular season record was 1-15, scoring a measly 175 points while allowing 436.

Again our RAMS post a 3-1 preseason record for 2010. Scoring 89 points while allowing 101.

I think alot of us (at least I have) have been focused on the offense this preseason because of the lack of offense (and SAM BRADFORD) that was showed during the 2009 regular season. Our RAMS scored more than half of the points in four 2010 preseason games compared to the 2009 regular season. So has the defense from a fans point of view been overlooked? Allowing 101 points in 4 preseason games is not very impressive. That would put us back over the 400 points allowed mark for the 2010 regular season if we continued at that pace.
    You also have to remember how many points were scored on our starters.
    I looked at the minnesota game looks like maybe they scored two td's on our starters. The browns looks like two td's and a field goal. The pats scored one td on our defense (one on special teams too). And I dont think the ravens scored on our defense. So they roughly scored 39 points on our defense. So don't count the rams d out just yet. I thought they did fairly well whenever they were out there. Even the backups did well enough to only lose one game.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the moral of the story is simply not to get too excited based on the preseason, and there's some merit to that. You can point to our record last year, but then also consider the Detroit Lions were 4-0 in the preseason of 2008... then proceeded to go winless during the regular season. You can't get tied up in record, and even the individual performances have to be examined in their correct context.

However, it does look like the Rams have improved in some areas from where they were last year, which is obviously what you want to see. Only time will tell if that carries over into the regular season, but after the last couple of years, I'm a bit hesitant to get my hopes up about this team until they put their money where their mouth is and do it when the games count.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Our running game is very impressive, and I remember AV posting somewhere that we are 3rd in the league against the rush, which is very good.

Our pass defense will improve when Bartell and Fletcher both get back to 100%, and when Jerome Murphy gets more consistent.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The only concern I have are injuries. If this group can stay relatively healthy, I'm very confident we'll see improvement.

It's definitely hard to judge based on the preseason, but in situations where it was starters against starters, the Rams defense looked pretty good to me.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think the outside pass rush is still highly suspect. The good news there is that Hall played very little.Ditto for the brightest prospect, Selvie.I wouldn't be at all unhappy to hear Little was persuaded to return as a situational rusher.Hopefully better depth on the interior DL and in the LB corps will help as well as a liberal sprinkling of Spagsian strategic magic .

We also saw virtually nothing of the starting D backfield until the Patsy game. The depth there is either very raw or disappointing.King, in particular, hasn't made the jump I'd hoped to see. Payne's injury could be a big deal if James Butler can't get back & stay there, considering Dahl also has an injury history.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-04-2010 at 03:06 PM.