r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Caution: Wacky Rams Trade Rumors - For Amusement ONLY

Rams rumor watch
    by VanRam on Jul 6, 2009 2:05 PM CDT in 2009 Off-Season

Uh oh, we've got a rumor sighting...two rumors actually. Let's evaluate.

Both came in the form of a question posed to ESPN's Mike Sando in his mailbag post from today. The first one stinks to high heaven: Rams looking to trade Alex Barron for a draft pick. No way. The team legitimately thinks Barron can be a good LT, and if he can cut down on the penalties he will be. And, as Sando points out, this team can't afford to trade working offensive linemen.

The second rumor has the Rams swapping TE Joe Klopfenstein to the Broncos for DE Jarvis Moss. This one sounds more like a fan playing armchair general manager on a message board somewhere, connecting disappointing recent draft picks on the roster bubble for each team. It's got to be a rumor, and the only thing giving it a whiff of cred is Denver's wacked out management. I don't see the Broncos giving up on their first round pick from '07 just yet, though the switch to a 3-4 moves him closer to the old roster knife. Klop's as good gone with the Rams, but you'd think teams could just wait it out...unless they don't want to compete with other bidders.

Curt from Ripon, Calif., writes: Mike, any substance to the rumors that with Jason Smith at LT and Adam Goldberg at RT, backed up by a host of free-agent signings, that the Rams send Alex Barron to a team expected to finish at the bottom of the standings [top of the draft] for a second-round pick? I'm also hearing TE Joe Klopfenstein being "sent home" to Denver for DE Jarvis Moss, who doesn't fit Denver's new 3-4 D. Any news?

Mike Sando: Can the Rams afford to part with a starting-caliber offensive lineman? I do not think so. Barron was the starting left tackle this offseason. Smith will presumably take that spot before long, but the Rams need as many starting-caliber offensive linemen as they can find. Barron appears to be no worse than their fifth- or sixth-best offensive lineman. Goldberg appears to have more value as a versatile injury replacement than as a long-term starter.

At tight end, Klopfenstein would certainly be a candidate for trade or release. I know nothing about anything involving Jarvis Moss. I do know that Moss' contract counts $1.9 million against the cap in 2009 if he remains with the team. The figure surges past $3.5 million if the Broncos trade or release him.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Caution: Wacky Rams Trade Rumors - For Amusement ONLY

At this point, I'd take a case of V-8 for Klopfenstein.

As for the source of these "rumors," I presume that when he says "I'm hearing" he's referring to the voices in his head that also told him to shave the dog, paint him blue, and refer to him as Poppa Smurf.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -07-10-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    At this point, I'd take a case of V-8 for Klopfenstein.
    That should be V-8's new commercial:
    "With the 46th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft the Rams select TE Joe Klopfenstein" - Shoulda had a V-8!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Even as someone who isn't a Barron fan, trading him now for a draft pick would be pretty strange.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Not really any sense there at all. Denver has pretty decent TEs; Sheffler,Graham & a draft pick this year, I think. I'd poop a V8 if Klop ever put together a 40 catch 600yd season like Sheffler did last year.

I might take Dumervil for Barron but not J. Moss. What do we need a 3/4 OLB for? Too small & apparently no moves as a speed rusher DE. That was a weird pick for a smart guy like Shanahan unless he planned to move to a 3/4 D before the axe fell.

Strange coincidence; I read somewhere that V8 is in Klop's fav party shot.

Called "Toss Your Salad".

Name all eight veggies & I'll give you the recipe for the shot.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I would probably take a high 2nd rounder for Barron at this point, but I doubt any team is offering one. You can make a good case for waiting and seeing also, it's his contract year after all. I just don't like his mentality and demeanor, he's got all the tools physically but if he hasn't got a passion for playing and a nasty streak (which he doesn't) - he'll never be much above average. I would take a less gifted player with more heart.

And as anyone else - I would take anything for Klopfenstein, thinking we can trade him for anything seems fanciful. Why would anyone trade anything for a player that has shown nothing and will probably end up cut anyway?

Fan-proposed trades are almost always unbalanced in the direction of their team and these two ideas are no exception IMO.