Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rambos

Thread: CB Cortland Finnegan – Press Conference ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

CB Cortland Finnegan – Press Conference ..

Thursday, March 15 2012 @ 12:25 PM CDT

Contributed by: Shaky

March 15, 2012

(Opening Statement)
    GM Les Snead: “Seems like we’re back again and things are finally official. It seems like we’re always dealing with the ‘official’ and ‘not official’, but we did dot the ‘Is’ and cross the ‘Ts’. We’re going to welcome Cortland to the St. Louis Rams. I’ll keep it very simple, I’ll say this, he had me at Andre Johnson. That’s going to be my quote. We’re going to be an organization that builds, develops and coaches its football team to thrive consistently. Obviously, Cortland’s a building block, but what he’s also going to do is because of his leadership skills, because of what he brings to the field, he’s going to help us develop the young players we bring in and develop those players to be the type of players we want them to be. Without further adieu I’m going to pass it to Coach Fisher. Let him say a few words and then we’ll go to Cortland.”

Coach Jeff Fisher: “Is that like he had me from hello?”

Snead: “Yes, something like that. As a football guy that’s the pick-up line, right?”

Fisher: “This is the first of many great, exciting days for the future of this organization. I’m especially excited because, as I mentioned yesterday, because of our relationship. If two people know each other any better, I challenge you to find those two people because we’ve had a great relationship in the first phase of his career and I’m really looking forward to this relationship in the second phase. Just as Les said, it’s exactly what he does, he has made our defense better today and he will continue to help to make our defense better with his leadership skills, his work ethic, both on and off the field. Very exciting day for us. Happy to have him and at this point we’ll open it up to questions for Cortland.”

(On what he is smiling about)
    Finnegan: “Just the opportunity. I’m thankful and grateful for Owner Stan Kroenke, (Executive Vice President of Football Operations/C.O.O. Kevin) Demoff, Les Snead and Coach Fisher here just to believe in me and just to be able to come here and help this organization. I’m humbled and I’m excited at the same time.”

(On his free agency period not lasting very long)
    Finnegan: “You know what, it didn’t. It just made sense. I love Coach Fisher and the direction he’s always took the team. I respect him for everything he stands for and I definitely wanted to come be a part of this.”

(On where his toughness came from)
    Finnegan: “Probably always being a little kid, as I’m always still a little kid on the field and around the park. I wouldn’t go that aspect of nasty. I just love the game and I want someone that’s watching that’s never seen me play or the team play to know that my love for the game is…hopefully it impacts someone.”

(On how much Coach Fisher impacted his decision to come to St. Louis)
    Finnegan: “I think that was a huge…I mean, just my admiration and respect for what he did for my career early on and the direction he took the team was huge for us as a team and as a player. And I respect that wholeheartedly and that was the decision.”

(On the Facebook video he posted yesterday)
    Finnegan: “It was humbling. It was the fact that in high school, going to college I never got recruited. I went to Samford. There weren’t many visits, so it was a chance that on the national signing that kids do to really let the fans know here in St. Louis that I wholeheartedly want to do my part in helping them win football games and ultimately a Super Bowl.”

(On what the last few days have been like for him)
    Finnegan: “If I’m dreaming, don’t pinch me. I promise it’s been something that I’ll always remember. It’s a humbling aspect, a chance to re-prove myself and continue to improve on my skill set and help this football team win.”

(On if he has had a chance to think about how far he’s come since he was drafted in the seventh round out of a small school)
    Finnegan: “In some phases it’s hit me, but I think as we travel back with me and my wife and we take a look at it and I sort of just get to sit down and digest it all, it’s going to hit me a lot more. I’m thankful and humbled by the fact of it all.”

(On how he ended up at Samford University)
    Finnegan: “I was 5’10”, 150 pounds. I probably don’t look much bigger now, but I think that was the case.”

(On what Fisher saw in Finnegan when he drafted him in Tennessee)
    Fisher: “As a head coach you try to do as much you can from an evaluation stand point, but towards the end of the period prior to the draft it was recommended to me by our people in the personnel department to look at this safety and returner from Samford, so we put the tape on and I said, ‘Wow.’ This guy projects right over to corner. He can return, he’s got great ball skills, he’s physical and doing some of the same things that he’s still doing today on the edge and we really liked that. We actually had him in for a 30 visit and we talked to him and felt like he had outstanding football knowledge and instinct and character and we went ahead and were very lucky that he was there.”

(On being 150 pounds as a safety)
    Finnegan: “No, as I was transitioning…I didn’t lift weights in high school. We didn’t believe in those, so it was sort of that, when you got to college we started putting in the weight system and really fine tuning the skills there.”

(On what was the key to signing with the Rams)
    Finnegan: “Again, I mean it was just so much upside. And the fact that the head coach, that everything was evolving and changing and I could come in here and lead this football team on and off the field. I felt confident in that and I still feel confident in that and I look forward to that.”

(On how he goes about leadership)
    Finnegan: “It’s definitely by example. I want to come in here with my work ethic right off the bat and show these guys. I know I have a reputation on and off the field and I definitely want to bring the good side all to that and let these guys see how I work. And definitely from there, whether it be from the coaches getting on me and definitely fine-tuning my skills. But I want to be every part of an example to these guys and show them that I can lead this football team.”

(On where his reputation comes from and if he thinks he plays with an edge)
    Finnegan: “I think yeah, I play with an edge. If there is an edge, I’m standing over it, looking over it. Never stepping over it, never want to hurt the football team. That’s something that I can continue to do is just play with that edginess. I think that’s part of my game, but also play with a smart side as well.”

(On what comes over him on the football field)
    Fisher: “You don’t have to answer every question.” (joking)
    Finnegan: “It may be my Irish side. I don’t know. My mom’s a little feisty. So if you ever get the chance to meet her, she’s got about 400 tattoos and she’s just a wild woman. She’s military background, so I think just her wild side is sort of part of what it’s all about for me.”

(On comments that he’s a dirty player)
    Finnegan:”You know, you can’t…everyone has their opinion. You go out there and try to help your football team win and I just happen to play with an edge to me. I never want to hurt the football team, but also want to make big plays and help this football team win and lead this football team.”

(On Fisher as a head coach)
    Finnegan: “Well you can start from just, he played the game on down to just being so personable. There’s nothing that you can’t go in there and talk to Coach about and him give you a realistic, honest opinion and outlook on it. I think that speaks volumes for a coach when you can have that family atmosphere where you can go in there. He’s still hard on you, but he can definitely sort of father you. I think that’s huge for guys coming up in this league. That’s something huge and I think that’s most important when a coach can have that bond with a player.”

(On if he told DT Jason Jones to join him in St. Louis)
    Finnegan: “Absolutely. There’s just such an upswing in things we can do here and you have the building blocks and the pieces and I’d love to see this thing take off. That’s where I’m at, that’s what I told him and he knows that.”

(On if it’s important to have players in his locker room that know him and have been coached by him before)
    Fisher: “Well, yes and no. I’m going to establish relationship with all players. That’s what we do. I think that’s what coaching is about. That will happen in time. I haven’t met many of them yet because of the circumstances. So the other side of that is yes he understands how we practice and how we prepare and how we go into each game and what the thought process is behind it.”

(On how Coach Fisher developed him)
    Finnegan: “I mean that’s just from on the field, definitely, with the coaches that he put around me. Just developing my game and just the people in that facility, on and off the field developed me as a person and as a football player. I think when you entrust in someone else to sort of bring a guy up and you’re still there, it makes all the difference in the world what kind of guy he’s going to become. I think that’s going to be a huge part.”

(On where contracts stand with Jason Jones)
    Snead: “We’re still talking with his representation. He will leave here and go make a decision and from there we should know relatively soon, at least probably through the weekend or into Monday.”

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Re: CB Cortland Finnegan – Press Conference ..

Just watched it, pretty good PC. Finnegan seems like a great guy in person

Rambos is offline Registered User

Here is the presser
    MauiRam and Tampa_Ram like this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

"he had me at Andre Johnson" ? Is that a reference to the notorious fist fight game ? The one, iirc, in which AJ had 9 catches & a TD before CF got them both ejected? Not all of those catches were on CF & it's laudable that he didn't let AJ beat him deep but the TD sure was on CF. It takes Justin King-like skills to get beat by 7-8 yds on a play that starts around the 5yd line.

Or maybe Les is referring to the play in the prior year's game when CF got beaten so badly that all he could do was jump on AJ's back?

I'm sure I'll get crucified for being a Debbie Downer but this is ridiculous.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    "he had me at Andre Johnson" ? Is that a reference to the notorious fist fight game ? The one, iirc, in which AJ had 9 catches & a TD before CF got them both ejected? Not all of those catches were on CF & it's laudable that he didn't let AJ beat him deep but the TD sure was on CF. It takes Justin King-like skills to get beat by 7-8 yds on a play that starts around the 5yd line.

Or maybe Les is referring to the play in the prior year's game when CF got beaten so badly that all he could do was jump on AJ's back?

I'm sure I'll get crucified for being a Debbie Downer but this is ridiculous.
    One of the host on the fast lane on 101 espn actually coined the phrase "he had me at andre" when they interviewed snead a few days ago. And yes he was referring to the fight but more importantly the attitude finnegan plays with. we need 22 players like that, and as you can see from the clean house sweep, and the fisher, snead press conference, we are heading iin that direction.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think it was more of a, he didn't back down even though Andre had a lot of size on him.

Not for the fact he wanted to fight/go after Andre