general counsel is offline Registered User

cb's and the best defense ever...

The most dominating defense in the history of the nfl had below average corners. The corners for the 1985 bears were nothing great. However, rule #1, the qb cant throw from flat on his ass. Pass rush cures all woes. I dont care who is back there at cb, without a pass rush, these guy cant cover, the receivers are too fast and they have the advantage of knowing where they are going.

We will be fine in the secondary if the pass rush improves. If not katy bar the door.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -08-17-2005 at 03:47 PM.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: cb's and the best defense ever...

This has been my thinking as well. If the pressure is consistent, the secondary will be able to get out of position and not get burned 8 or 9 times out of 10.

But since I doubt this 2005 Rams front 4 will equal the 85 bears, there will be days when a good offensive line is keeping them at bay and the CB's will be exposed.

We're going to need Fisher, Groce and company to step up big time!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Will Big Bear be as good as Dan Hampton? Lets hope so. If that is the case, we are going to have some terrific defense. Pickett is as good as fat fridge, hargrove will be as good or better than mcmichael and leonard little is better all around than richard dent. Hampton was a true force of nature.

I am not of course suggesting our defense will compare to the 85 bears. We dont have anything that remotely resembles their linebackers, one of the greatest units ever. Wilbur Marshall was better all around than the overhyped LT, otis wilson was terrific, and singletary was a tackling fool. What a front 7 and what a scheme with buddy ryan leading the blitzing charges.

With the exception of the dolphins in the one monday night game, offenses against the bears that year had one basic play-DROP BACK TO PASS AND RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramhard is offline Registered User

GC don't knock LT

GC, I agree with you on Hampton, but no way was Wilbur better than LT, not even close. LT changed the way outside LB is played, teams did their complete O schemes based on staying away from him, he disrupted a game like no other D player of his era. I agree at the end of his career he was a one-dimensional pass rusher, but at his peak no one of his era was close (and I know he was a knucklehead - but have to give his on-field play its due). You should read some quotes from opposing coaches at the time about playing against LT.

Both good, but one was a good LB, the other was a frame breaking player.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    The most dominating defense in the history of the nfl had below average corners. The corners for the 1985 bears were nothing great. However, rule #1, the qb cant throw from flat on his ass. Pass rush cures all woes. I dont care who is back there at cb, without a pass rush, these guy cant cover, the receivers are too fast and they have the advantage of knowing where they are going.

We will be fine in the secondary if the pass rush improves. If not katy bar the door.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Thanx for that tidbit G.C. I've argued this point blue in the face for years.The o-line same thing.Even Steve Dills won a game against the 85 bears because the o-line was GREAT.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

theodus69 is offline Registered User

The dominant Pass rush creates mistakes on the QB's part, so in turn, the db' don't have to be the best, unless you run into a montana type. The quick slants that go for 90 yards. these guys are at a professional level so they should be able to handle the job providing we have that rush! Come to think of it, if that line can be 50% better than last year, Little is gonna have all-pro #'s by week 8!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    The dominant Pass rush creates mistakes on the QB's part, so in turn, the db' don't have to be the best, unless you run into a montana type. The quick slants that go for 90 yards. these guys are at a professional level so they should be able to handle the job providing we have that rush! Come to think of it, if that line can be 50% better than last year, Little is gonna have all-pro #'s by week 8!
    Yes he will.Also I'd like to see Brandon green get in.That kid Just blows me away.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I'm thinking this year might be alot of fun!:clanram:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!