MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

CBS has our D-line ranked 19th ...

DL Rankings: Giants are good but Chargers are better - NFL - CBSSports.com Live Scores, Standings and Stats

Best player: DT Adam Carriker. Weak link: DT La'Roi Glover.

The skinny: In Carriker, the Rams have a force in the middle of their defense. As a rookie, he showed he should become a Pro Bowl player. Glover is a still capable of playing well in spurts, but he isn't the player he once was. The addition of defensive end Chris Long, taken second overall in this year's draft, will help. He has star ability. Leonard Little, the other end, still has the speed to get to the passer. He just needs help.

Rating: 19

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: CBS has our D-line ranked 19th ...

Not bad. In other words, they are saying we have a whole lot of potential, but they just haven't proved much yet.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

For the 2007 season the Rams ended up ranked 21st against the run and 17th in sacks, so really a pre-season ranking of 19th says we'll have little to no improvement over the 2007 performance. I, for one, am not willing to accept and/or believe that at this point.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    For the 2007 season the Rams ended up ranked 21st against the run and 17th in sacks, so really a pre-season ranking of 19th says we'll have little to no improvement over the 2007 performance. I, for one, am not willing to accept and/or believe that at this point.
    That really depends on interpretation. If they're saying we're the 19th best defensive line in the league right now, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be the 19th best at the end of the season. This doesn't really say anything about improvement per se. Personally, I don't think I'd rank a line with mostly first and second year players starting very highly either going into the season.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    DL Rankings: Giants are good but Chargers are better - NFL - CBSSports.com Live Scores, Standings and Stats

Best player: DT Adam Carriker. Weak link: DT La'Roi Glover.

The skinny: In Carriker, the Rams have a force in the middle of their defense. As a rookie, he showed he should become a Pro Bowl player. Glover is a still capable of playing well in spurts, but he isn't the player he once was. The addition of defensive end Chris Long, taken second overall in this year's draft, will help. He has star ability. Leonard Little, the other end, still has the speed to get to the passer. He just needs help.

Rating: 19
    I have a few comments on this article:

1.) Why no mention of Cliff Ryan? I thought he showed decent progress last year as he got more playing time.

2.) I wonder where they would have ranked the Rams D-line if we had picked Glen Dorsey instead of C. Long, and then drafted Quinton Groves for defensive end in the 2nd instead of Avery.

3.) What?...no mention of Claude Wr...o....t....e...n. (Man that was tough. I could barely make my fingers type his name.)

WHAT SAY YE?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I think the d-line is going to show much improvement this season, what CBS thinks at this point in June doesn't really matter,I think it's the strong point of the defense and will play well.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

We do have the potential. Lets hope we show what we got in 08.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I think they don't mention those supporting roles because the reviews were very brief, touching on only the starters.

Still, I think this is about right, seeing that Long hasn't played any football yet.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Who's not excited to see what our future looks like behind this D-line this year. really we should be looking at our franchise for the next 5 years at least with Ryan, Carriker and Long. Plus the correct find of another stud DE on the other side next year hopefully. This D should be looking like a nightmare for teams soon with this D-line, OJ picking balls everywhere and Spoon hurting QB's, no-one will take us lightly.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Who's not excited to see what our future looks like behind this D-line this year. really we should be looking at our franchise for the next 5 years at least with Ryan, Carriker and Long. Plus the correct find of another stud DE on the other side next year hopefully. This D should be looking like a nightmare for teams soon with this D-line, OJ picking balls everywhere and Spoon hurting QB's, no-one will take us lightly.
    I hear ya! Pass that Kool-aid!! .. I'm thirsting for wins!!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I just don't see Glover contributing much if not at all this year. Not his fault, he's just playing a tough area with younger players. Wroten is so key to this D line it's about as scary as Brittney behind the wheel of any motor vehicle.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think Glover will still play a prominent role. He had 6 sacks in each of the last two seasons, which is still pretty good for that position. I thought he looked like he still had some kick left in him last year. I don't know how well he'd hold up if he had to play all game without relief, but as long as he's just part of the rotation, I think he'll still be productive.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think Glover will still play a prominent role. ...., as long as he's just part of the rotation, I think he'll still be productive.
    I agree. As a role player, especially on passing downs, Glover has a chance to be productive again this year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So Carriker is the best player? Ok, fair enough.
    But his backup is the weakest link? What? Shouldn't a weakest link at least be a starter?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod