Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ramer is offline Registered User

CBS Prisco's Power Rankings

Power Rankings: Brady buoys Pats, but Philly's coming fastBy Pete Prisco
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer
    Tell Pete your opinion!

Updated May 4
    Which is the most-improved team heading into the 2009 NFL season?
    Hint: It's a trick question.
    Think. It's really easy. It's the New England Patriots. For one reason: Tom Brady is back.
    Even the Dalai Lama thinks the Patriots are No. 1 right now. (AP) That's why the Patriots sit atop my latest batch of the CBSSports.com Power Rankings. They have a deep team, but with Brady back from a torn ACL they go from a good team to a great one and the Super Bowl favorite.
    OK, so it was a trick question. Let me ask another: Other than the Patriots, which is the most-improved team?
    Hint: It's a team in green.
    Yep, the Philadelphia Eagles. I love what they've done in the past three months. They've added key veterans like left tackle Jason Peters, right tackle Stacy Andrews and corner Ellis Hobbs and added speed to their offense in draft picks Jeremy Maclin and LeSean McCoy.
    The Eagles are loaded. And let's not forget that they were a team that played in the NFC Championship Game last season, losing to the Arizona Cardinals.
    The Cardinals were a surprise team to many last season. But they were on my radar for a couple of years as a possible playoff contender.
    Two teams fall into that category as we sit here in May, non-playoff teams that I think have a chance for a playoff push.
    One is the Houston Texans and the other is the Cincinnati Bengals. The Texans have stockpiled a lot of talent while the Bengals get back Carson Palmer. When he's healthy, he's one of the best.
    When he was at his best, carrying the Bengals, the defense wasn't any good. Now the defense is improved and he's back.
    Could the Texans or Bengals be this year's Cardinals?
    It's early, but they're on my radar.
    The next batch of CBSSports.com Power Rankings will come just before camps open in July. There probably won't be much change, but you never know.
    Heck, Brett Favre might be back playing. That's bound to drop down any team he joins.
    Here are the post-draft Power Rankings:
    Power RankingsCurrentTeamPrevious1Patriots Trends11They get Tom Brady back. They have the deepest team in the league. Oh, and they have the best coach. Add it up, and it's no wonder they are Super favorites.2Steelers Trends1The champions are loaded again and will be in the thick of it come playoff time. They didn't do much to improve their offensive line, though, which has to be a concern.3Colts Trends7Peyton Manning is back healthy again, so they are a real contender again. The addition of Donald Brown to the running game will give it more explosiveness. The key will be the return to health of major defensive players.4Cardinals Trends2They've done some nice things in the offseason, including adding corner Bryant McFadden and drafting Beanie Wells to carry the football. They will be a playoff team again and maybe they'll finish in Miami.5Eagles Trends4They've had a wonderful offseason, adding key players like tackles Jason Peters and Stacey Andrews and loading up in the draft with speed and quickness. They will be tough to stop on offense.6Giants Trends5They fortified the defense with some key free agents and added a speed receiver in Hakeem Nicks to the passing game. Tom Coughlin will have this team in the playoffs again.7Titans Trends6They haven't done a lot, and losing Albert Haynesworth will hurt. The other thing is their division is tough. They also have to get more big plays from their passing game.8Ravens Trends3Joe Flacco will be better in his second season as a starter and that defense will once again be among the best. They do have to take their passing game up a notch.9Falcons Trends9It's all about the defense for the Falcons. Adding Tony Gonzalez makes the offense complete and the draft was loaded with defensive picks to help the other side. They aren't going away.10Saints Trends19This is another team that has improved its defense in the past four months in terms of talent. Now new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has to bring it all together.11Chargers Trends10This is still a deep, talented team. If Philip Rivers continues to develop, the Chargers will easily be the class of the AFC West.12Texans Trends17The Texans have a lot of important pieces in place. As long as Matt Schaub can stay healthy, they might be ready to make a real playoff push.13Panthers Trends8They will be the same team: Run heavy and play tough defense. Is that enough? Jake Delhomme has to play better.14Bears Trends18Getting Jay Cutler is the steal of the offseason. He makes them a real playoff threat. Yes, I do believe that.15Cowboys Trends14They have talent, but something just seems to be off. I don't think they're as good as the Eagles or Giants in their own division, which is why they are down this low.16Bengals Trends24Getting Palmer back makes them dangerous and the defense will be better around him. I like the Bengals as a sleeper team. I really do.17Vikings Trends13Quarterback. It's all about the quarterback. Whether it's Sage Rosenfels or Tarvaris Jackson, that position has to be better. Words of advice: Stay away from that guy named Favre.18Packers Trends23The move to a 3-4 under new coordinator Dom Capers will be one to watch closely. If that side of the ball plays better, Aaron Rodgers might get them to a playoff game.19Bills Trends22Can Terrell Owens make them a playoff team? That might be stretching it, but they will be better on offense.20Seahawks Trends28New coach Jim Mora takes over a veteran team that was hurt by injuries last season. They need to keep Matt Hasselbeck healthy. If they do, they will push the Cardinals.21Jets Trends16How long does it take to get Mark Sanchez ready? If he's what they think he is, they will be better than expected. If not, it's a redshirt season and they will win six games.22Buccaneers Trends15Who plays quarterback? Whoever it is has to be better than what they had last season. There are also some age concerns on defense. New coach Raheem Morris faces a challenging first season.23Redskins Trends25They're the fourth team in a four-team division. That will make it tough to win eight games.24Jaguars Trends26They've made some nice moves to fix the offensive line, and now it's time for the offense to do more. The defense also needs young players to step up, especially end Derrick Harvey.25Broncos Trends20They're excited about Kyle Orton. I'm not. I think he's OK. They better hope the defense plays better than a year ago or it won't matter who quarterbacks the Broncos. I do like Knowshon Moreno.26Dolphins Trends12They are the step-back team this season. But in 2010, look out. I think Chad Henne will take over at some time this season.27***** Trends21It's all quarterback with the *****. Can Shaun Hill or Alex Smith get the job done? If not, they'll stay down here all year long.28Raiders Trends27It's all about JaMarcus Russell. If he plays an entire season to the level of expectations, the Raiders will be better. I think he can. But they have other issues.29Chiefs Trends29They landed their quarterback in Matt Cassel and have added a few players to help, but new coach Todd Haley faces a big task in getting this offense to play like his Arizona unit did.30Browns Trends30New coach Eric Mangini will build this team the way he wants it. But one has to wonder if that's a good thing considering his Jets history.31Rams Trends31The Rams were a disaster last year. New coach Steve Spagnuolo has a lot of work to do. They're at least a year away.32Lions Trends32They have their franchise quarterback to build around, and Jim Schwartz will do a good job, but there's a lot of work still to be done.

What do you think? Are we better than 31? Are we a year away?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: CBS Prisco's Power Rankings

Prisco is continuing his man-love for Brady, I see. That's OK, he'll end up wrong.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd start us at least a few pegs up. KC had the same record but is making a major transition from 4-3 to 3-4 when they don't necessarily have the pass rushers for it and their defensive line may well consist of two rookies and Glenn Dorsey. If all the trade rumors are to be believed, the Browns organization has very little faith in most of their players, which you would think would make for terrible morale on top of their other problems.

Also, all that love for the Pats is pretty nauseating. Tedy Bruschi (age 35) and Junior Seau (age 40) were both starting for them by season's end, as was Vrabel who is now gone. With Ellis Hobbs gone, it's anyone's guess who they'll be starting at either corner position. I really don't see this "deepest team in the league" business.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Power Rankings=garbage. But if your someone who really cares about what "experts" think, then you better stop holding your breath. After having only 5 wins the last two years, where do you expect them to put us? No matter the fact we have a new coach, new and improved o line, revamped linebacking corp, and the BEST running back in the NFL. Lets fly under the radar and show all these experts where they can put their power rankings.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Three teams from the NFC West 20 or worse. That means this division didn't improve much in Prisco's eyes. I think the Rams are right where they need to be. As C-Mob said, we've won 5 games in two years. I'll add to it, we haven't been .500 since before Martz's last full season.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

never trust a man who's name rhymes with cooking oil - ancient proverb
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Such BS.
    But at least were not last.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Power rankings that merely order the teams in a manner similar to their previous season finishes are, to say the least, boring.

Show me a May Power Rankings from 2008 in which a media figure predicted that Miami, Atlanta and Baltimore would make major strides, and I'll be impressed.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'll add to it, we haven't been .500 since before Martz's last full season.
    ? tx do you think Martz's would have done better the last 2 seasons with the guys we had.
    :ramlogo:

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

What ever, where did the "experts" have the Falcons, Fins, and Cards ranked last year at this time? I swear these guys couldn't predict the winner of a one horse race

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Three teams from the NFC West 20 or worse. That means this division didn't improve much in Prisco's eyes. I think the Rams are right where they need to be. As C-Mob said, we've won 5 games in two years. I'll add to it, we haven't been .500 since before Martz's last full season.
    What about the 8-8 and almost in the playoffs in Linehan's first season? All power rankings ever are, are just the rehashing of the teams from last year. Every single team is different from last year and every team's schedule is different. Who had the Cardinals at the top of the power rankings last year, in week 17? No one. Anything can happen, just look at the Dolphins.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Okay, the Rams have a lot of work to do and have been terrible the last two years, so it's not a stretch to have them ranked at the bottom, but how in the world does Prisco see the Bengals at 16, let alone playoff contenders?? They are a mess, were a mere 4-11 last year and even with the "great" Carson Palmer playing in 2007, they could only manage 7-9. I guess the Bengals get a pass for THEIR injury problems.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

This is one of the sketchiest overviews of the NFL I have ever read.Not only is the order pretty arbitrary but the analysis is bizarre at times.

The Cards ranked above The Eagles and Giants ?! With Super Kurt coming back from hip surgery?

Delhomme needs to play better? That was an epic egg he laid in the playoffs but the guy's rating was over a 100 in half a dozen games & he didn't have too many bad ones that cost his team a win.

Rivers needs to develop? Into what? The Terminator? He was superb last year.I'd be more concerned about LT's health and the defense,if I were a Chargers fan.

But Palmer's health will morph the Bungles into a playoff team?!
    I don't see how you can rank them near,never mind ahead of, The Cowboys if you're basing it on roster talent & recent form/health.

When you look at the bottom ten, it becomes even less logical. I'm not arguing that the Rams don't deserve to be in that group but there are even bigger question marks over the moves made in FA/the draft by a lot of these teams,imo; The Raiders,Denver, for eg. Others with new rookie HCs like Tampa Bay & Seattle are complete wild cards.

Are Bernie Miklasz and Prisco the same person?

blood85 is offline Registered User

Good for him, it will be that much sweeter when he is proven WRONG!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'll echo AV's point in saying that it doesn't show much analysis when your power rankings largely mirror how teams finished last year.

If you can make a case for Palmer's health fueling a playoff run then you could also project that an improved o-line would mean a return to form for both Jackson and Bulger and football in January.

Both unlikely perhaps .

Personally I don't put much store in this type of thing but if you had to put us somewhere based on off-season changes you could make a very good case for ranking us above the Chiefs and the Raiders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast