Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Celebration nonsense has to stop

I for one, was glad the ref's stepped in and flagged the defensive players for that stupid looking celebration yesterday. That is, after it was clear that it didn't cost us the game....

But come on guys, that stuff is so, well, ...playground. I was going nuts early in the game when I noticed a couple of the DB's and safeties working on that crap. Play ball guys and act like you've made a tackle before for crying out loud. I have no problem with a quick ball slam, or fist pump. But to choreograph a dance routine because you did what you get paid for? Please. Leave that crud for Owens and the likes. Make the play, hand the ball to the ref and get ready for the next play.

Hopefully, Haslett and/or Linehan gave them an earful for that nonsense.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Celebration nonsense has to stop

Why? So its ok for Bulger or Holt or jackson, ect to celebrate a good run or nice reception. But if a Safety or DB makes a good pass breakup or interception they can't clebrate? I think its great that we seen celebrations like that because it means our defense did a good job that game and played with intensity. I love seeing them do that when its on a good scale.

Relax, its a great site for many of us fans who loved the Defensive Play!
    RamsFan16

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

I like the attitude I think the penalties suck. The boys are gonna have to tone it down though 15 yards after every interception is not gonna be good for the Rams. Its a stupid rule but its a rule.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I couldn't agree less. I was so excited so see us actually play really good defense, I couldn't even stop the dancing at home. This was an emotional game for them, and it was AWESOME to see them pumped up for a change. If they wanna dance, let them dance. If WRs can do it, so should DBs, or anyone for that matter, be able to. As long as it doesn't get out of hand, involving mocking the other team, or delay the game.

The only thing is now you can't do pre-planned celebrations involving more than one person. Very dumb rule, because TO, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, etc draw way more attention to themselves, and slow down the game even more, alone then the Rams or other teams do together. (BTW I enjoy watching those 3 create wacky stuff to do every week)

Funny thing is this rule was created with the Rams in mind. When the GSOT would score a TD they would gather in a circle in the end zone and do their team dance. I loved it. After a decade of losing, we had a right and a reason to dance. They didn't carry on too long, but I guess the league and losing teams didn't agree. Fast forward to now 2006, and it is now a rule.

Gotta remember this game is entertainment. Telling people they can't have a reasonable way to express their emotion, pump each other up, and pump the fans up is rediculous.

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

I was at the game and that kind of celebration really fired up the team and the fans. It works as the crowd got louder and louder. It may cost us 15 yards, but it's worth it because the defense looks fired up the entire game. Broncos only had a couple of good drives- one ended with an interception and another ended with Mike Bell's TD run. Let them celebrate and if it costs us yards, whatever. At least it fired all of us up.
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

It may cost us 15 yards, but it's worth it because the defense looks fired up the entire game.
    Its not worth 15 yards, sorry. If they want to fire up the crowd and the defense do it on the sideline. Until the NFL pulls its head out its rear and abolishes that lame rule that is the way it go's.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Notice for those who don't like celebrations, keep that secret to yourselves. You'll just show how boring you really are. Not a nock, just a fact. This whole thing with the NFL, taking away celebrations is rediculous. I can see flaging for excesive celebration, but flag for team celebrations on an interception, fumble or sack is rediculous. Celebrating doesn't take away from the professionalism of the game, never has never will. And for those who say it does, then tell Tiger to stop his Tiger arm pump when he eagles or birdies on a long difficult pump.

People celebrate all the time, and the statement that scoring a touchdown is expected, then how come no every reciever scores a touchdown, in everygame, and how come some recievers have less than 10 TDS in a year? Is a forced fumble, or interception also expected? Give me a break. Most people who say celebration doesn't belong in football or sports, in my opinion are just painfully boring people with boring lives.

Get off these guys backs and let them express their individualism by showing excitement, in any classy way they want. I think it brings excitement to the game. All though football is an exciting sport, in between each play call and offensive, and defensive huddle there is dead time. So when something exciting happens such as a touchdown, or defensive turnover, there's cause for celebrating. The fans do (if they are the home team). Why can't the players who participated in the act of a touchdown, or defensive turnover do the same? As long as it's no excessive I'm cool, and down with it. I know if I played of a professional level I'd do it.

I guess it's difficult for some to read and understand what I said....

I didn't say that I don't want players to celebrate when making a great play. I said, fist pumps, spiking of the ball, that sort of thing is acceptable to me. It's that choreographed BS that they perform "on stage" that I can't stand. This is football, not Dancing with the Stars. Besides, are you telling me the players weren't informed about the rules, and they didn't know they were breaking them and would perhaps receive a penalty which could have had a big impact on the game?

For heaven's sake, if the players and fans need that stuff to "fire them up", and the act of making a great tackle, or sacking a QB isn't enough, than I think those people are the ones that need a blood infusion. Funny, years ago it wasn't necessary to pull that crap to get the crowd going. What has changed? I think one of you touched on it. It's all about individualism. Everybody needs the spotlight, it's all about me. (See Terrell Owens. me,me,me,me,me,me,me) I don't remember Roman Gabriel or Vince Ferragamo doing a breakdance after each score. I guess it just wasn't exciting enough and I just was too stupid to notice it. :O

Do you guys really find that stuff entertaining? What if every player felt like some of you do? Receivers, TE's, RB's, QB's, OL and DL, DB's LB's, and OMG...kickers? Can't you just see it? It would look like the freakin' Rocketts!
    The game would last another hour so that everyone could get their special choreograpghed dance in. LOL!!!!

Just my opinion guys, and don't compare what they did to a fist pump by Tiger. Now, if Tiger and his caddy did some stupid, choreograpghed dance after every great drive he hits, how stupid would he look?

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I actually went into this thread thinking the "celebration nonsense" was referring to the nonsensical NFL rules against celebration, I mean no one could possibly be against players celebrating except old boring NFL execs? It's ENTERTAINMENT people, it's not war and it's no funeral either - people are supposed to be having fun! And that includes players, fans, coaches, hell everyone. Loosen up and let's enjoy the game and all that it entails, the league seriously needs to revise the celebration rules. Pretend as you may, playing in the NFL is not "a day at the office" neither should it be, it's a party (especially after a W), grab a beer and join in!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

I think one of you touched on it. It's all about individualism. Everybody needs the spotlight, it's all about me. (See Terrell Owens. me,me,me,me,me,me,me)
    Isn't team celebrations what they've mainly worked to prohibit? I don't see why the team can't celebrate together, it's the ultimate team sport, when a WR catches a TD his O-line, his QB and himself should be allowed to celebrate with him.

Of course there should be some limits, but I think the league has gone way too far already.

Isn't team celebrations what they've mainly worked to prohibit? I don't see why the team can't celebrate together, it's the ultimate team sport, when a WR catches a TD his O-line, his QB and himself should be allowed to celebrate with him.

Of course there should be some limits, but I think the league has gone way too far already.

Again, I don't mind a team celebration, as long as it's high fives, slapping each other on the back, that kind of celebration. I just have a hard time with the dance routines....

If the league doesn't do something, like all things, it'll get out of hand. You know it, and I know it. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I go to watch football, which I find very exciting, and I get very involved in the game and celebrate loudly and with passion. It's just that the choreographed nonsense just doesn't do anything for me. Peace. :r
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -09-11-2006 at 06:09 PM.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Just my opinion guys, and don't compare what they did to a fist pump by Tiger. Now, if Tiger and his caddy did some stupid, choreograpghed dance after every great drive he hits, how stupid would he look?
    hehe that would be awesome...golf is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too boring to watch for 4 days straight, 5 hours+ at a time, unless you are a die hard golfer yourself. I think Tiger has a bigger following than most for 2 reasons:

First he's really good and has name recognition. Second he is emotional and isn't afraid to show it...when he does well he pumps his fist, hugs his caddy, trots around a little bit sometimes. But when you really see that emotion is when he's playing bad. He slams his club repeatedly to the ground, curses, etc...you feel for the guy good or bad. Most other golfers are robotic in their actions, save for the final putt on the 18th when they win. Don't get me wrong he's no Happy Gilmore, but maybe if he or some other golfers were a little more enthusiastic, golf would get some decent ratings.

But I do agree that when celebrations by any player, in any sport, become accessive it gets stupid. Celebrating, like anything, needs to be done in moderation. And I'll say again the way the Rams celebrated (No matter if it was pre-choreographed, which I doubt it was) was so short and also appropriate for the emotions the players and fans alike felt, that the flag was completely rediculous. But like others have said until they change the rules, save it for the sideline so we don't lose 15 yards.

(See Terrell Owens. me,me,me,me,me,me,me)
    Maybe I am mistaken (really Im not) but the reason the penalty was thrown was because there was 2 players involved in the dance. That is not exactly me me me especially when the whole defense was around them cheering them on. Like I said they cannot do that crap because of the rule but the rule is ridiculous .
    LET'S GO DODGERS

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I didn't say that I don't want players to celebrate when making a great play. I said, fist pumps, spiking of the ball, that sort of thing is acceptable to me. It's that choreographed BS that they perform "on stage" that I can't stand. This is football, not Dancing with the Stars. Besides, are you telling me the players weren't informed about the rules, and they didn't know they were breaking them and would perhaps receive a penalty which could have had a big impact on the game?

For heaven's sake, if the players and fans need that stuff to "fire them up", and the act of making a great tackle, or sacking a QB isn't enough, than I think those people are the ones that need a blood infusion. Funny, years ago it wasn't necessary to pull that crap to get the crowd going. What has changed? I think one of you touched on it. It's all about individualism. Everybody needs the spotlight, it's all about me. (See Terrell Owens. me,me,me,me,me,me,me) I don't remember Roman Gabriel or Vince Ferragamo doing a breakdance after each score. I guess it just wasn't exciting enough and I just was too stupid to notice it. :O

Do you guys really find that stuff entertaining? What if every player felt like some of you do? Receivers, TE's, RB's, QB's, OL and DL, DB's LB's, and OMG...kickers? Can't you just see it? It would look like the freakin' Rocketts!
    The game would last another hour so that everyone could get their special choreograpghed dance in. LOL!!!!

Again you show how boring you really are. You have no problem with a fist pump, or a spiked ball. LOL, gimme a break. I'll say no more to that. But I will say this. Not every player celebrates. but to those who do I'm all for it. and the league and people like you need to lighten up, and get a life. This is why I think we need people of color in decision making positions in this league. That way balanced decisions, and not one sided decisions. Obviously most of the people you are refering to are normally black athletes, yet they have white grey haired making decisions for men who are youngsters. Telling hey you can spike a ball, or pump your fist but you can't dance. To me that's opressing someones expression.

And if Tiger was to do a different choreagraphed dance for every incredible hit he made I'm all for it would bring some life into a mostly lifeless game. I really think the reason a lot of people as yourself are against it is, because you secretly wish you had that kind of Rhythm.

Not a flame but you make yourself an easy target. It's obvious that everyone in here is for it except you. Like I said the decision making competition commity needs to get a life. They just need to make it a penalty for excessive celebrations ie. Celebrations that get in the way of the flow of the game. That celebration you are talking about, in no way inhibited the flow of the game.

Lastly you can easily change the channel if you don't like what they do. It's just that simple.

WestSideRamsFan Guest

that celebration was in no way pre meditated or over excessive..actually that was a dance from young jocs music video featuring T.I. that dance is very popular in the hip hop culture right now and can be seen all over MTV and BET. me and my buddies were actually dancing along with them and i loved it. these damn refs need to start watching MTV.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast