Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: A challenge from SLOP

Nice try.

Sorry, though, it has to be something good about Linehan himself.

Anyone...

Bueller....

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Still, nobody can tell me what they like about Linehan.

I'll tell you what, if one person can give me one compelling quality that Linehan has displayed, I'll bury SLOP forever.

Anyone?
    he's better than Denny Green, oh wait a minute green's team just blasted us,oops sorry

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Still, nobody can tell me what they like about Linehan.

I'll tell you what, if one person can give me one compelling quality that Linehan has displayed, I'll bury SLOP forever.

Anyone?
    He put his ego in check and gave up the playcalling when he knew he wasn't getting it done. Great quality to be able to look at yourself, step back and say I need help, and actually do something about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

So his best quality is his awareness of his shortcomings?

Sorry, no sale.

majorram is offline Registered User

I'm with AV on this and I'm beginning to wonder ( I too hope I'm wrong )if Linehan has it!!..... man I just wish this bloke would get worked up.. pissed off in the post interview, it begins with coaching and his players are just not worked up.. fired up man where do we begin!!! the motivation!!! the effort!!! the coaches have to take some of the blame....

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

So his best quality is his awareness of his shortcomings?

Sorry, no sale.
    No, the quality is his ability to put his ego aside, unlike Martz and many coaches are able to do. Linehan doing that won us that game vs the whiners, the way he was calling plays we weren't winning that game.

I also knew that your ego wouldn't allow you to accept my answer.
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Now now, rb, let's not make this personal...

I just don't think "putting aside his ego" is a good enough reason to support the guy.

cowboyhater is online now Registered User

His winning record is better than the first year of the last guy who brought us to the Super Bowl (Dick Vermeil, 5-11 in 1997, coming off of 6-10 in 1996).

I ground my teeth as I stated under my breath that Vermeil deserved three years. Martz got more (with diminishing results) ditto Robinson and Knox (II). Onthe other hand, we fired George Allen (II) after two preseason games and made it to the Super Bowl with Malavasi.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I am going to try, because I really would like to see this SLOP thing die.

Linehan has a proven track record as an offensive coordinator with both Minnesota and Miami. We fans seem to forget things aren't always greener on the other side. We called for Vermeils head prior to 1999. We called for Martz because this and that wasn't good enough, and in the later years he too had struggles with this offense and the same players.

Not giving him the benefit of the doubt in his first year is not only being self absorbing, it is complete lack of respect for the game and for whom that play, teach and live it.

We fans seem to loose touch with the human side of things and forget that Rome wasn't built over night. Could you imagine if they had B.O.P (Belichick Opposition Party) over on the Pats site after his first unsuccessful season in which I believe he was 5-11.

Maybe saving SLOP for next season would be better served.

coy bacon Guest

Av has asked a valid question and posted it as a challenge. Does Linehan have just one good redeeming trait as a coach?

I think he does. The one thing that impressed me early on was his deliberate discipline with the team. He focused on the little things and some feel that that helped the team led the league in the +/- turnover ratio. I think it will pay off in the coming seasons. I also think he's made good personnel decisions via FA and the draft, (cept for drafting Byrd).

This may not satisfy Av or anyone else calling for his head, and that's understandable, but to me discipline is a desirable trait for a leader to posess. George Thomas also focused on the little things.

"These are the times that try men's souls."

I'll say this again. I opposed Linehan's hiring because he was a rookie and he'd have to learn the job on our time. Now he's learning and it ain't no fun. But he has showed me some qualities that are worthy of my support.

You cannot expect a rookie to walk into this situation and get a lot of mileage the first year. Few men could do that.

I stand by Linehan. He has earned the right to git er done, and I think he will. He just needs time. Ya'll should, grin and bear it, enjoy the ride, and hope for the best.

Here's the way I see it...

He has not demonstrated anything this year that merits his continued status as the Rams HC.

The team has 4 more games. If he can get the team to play hard and go off in a blaze of glory, maybe he will turn around my thinking.

Either way, if the front office decides to retain him, I'll get behind him again for next year. But until the FO makes that decision, I will continue to express my opinion.

Right now, my opinion is that the team should clean house for next year. That means get rid of Linehan, Haslett and the assistants. Bring in a new coaching staff, and a heck of a lot of new players.

Of course, we just lost to Arizona by 14 at home, so maybe I'm just being emotional.

But right now, that seems to be the right answer.

I also would be interested in reasons why Jim Haslett should be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon View Post
    Av has asked a valid question and posted it as a challenge.
    The challenge is a facade. No matter what was said, SLOP would still go on. There have been good points posted here, but I don't believe there was ever any intent of stopping SLOP no matter what was said.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are incorrect. Nobody has posted anything about Linehan's performance this year that would merit an end to the opposition. Coy probably came the closest, but if you look at the turnover ratio issue, it seems that the Rams got off to a great start but have been below average of late.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    He put his ego in check and gave up the playcalling when he knew he wasn't getting it done. Great quality to be able to look at yourself, step back and say I need help, and actually do something about it.
    Agreed. Linehan has shown that he's willing to make major adjustments and changes, even if those changes don't flatter him. That takes guts. He struggled though the early offensive woes to get things in sync. He listened to his players and worked with them to make things comfortable, allowing guys like Bulger, Holt and Bruce to play to their potential. He didn't demand "my way or the highway". He's given the running game a chance and allowed Jackson to thrive and make the most of his talents. He's tried to protect his franchise quarterback through an almost impossible OL situation. He's made numerous roster adjustments in an effort to improve almost every problem area of the team and deal with with a mounting number of injuries.

Has the man been perfect? Far from it, but he's showing a willingness to do whatever it takes to shake thngs up and try to find that formula for success. To demand he get results with a chaotic offensive line, defensive line, secondary and rash of injuries is asking too much, especially in his first year.

I see a lot that I like in coach Linehan and support him without reservation.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast