Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: A challenge from SLOP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's my SLOP challenge...

Other than "you need to give a new coach at least 2 years..." can anyone give me one good reason why Scott Linehan should continue being the head coach of the St. Louis Rams?
    Seriously AvengerRam I expect more than this out of you. Either you really have no football knowledge and just pretend on here, you are just stirring the pot on purpose, or you are out of your mind from depression with all the losses. Either way YOU are the one making blanket statements without evidence, and all you are doing is making yourself look bad. It's getting real old dude.

Linehan can't go out their and play OG/OT and make sure Bulger has more than 3 seconds to pass.
    He can't make Holt catch that perfectly thrown deep ball that should have been a 80+ yard cacth.
    He can't stop our DBs from making stupid plays for huge pass interference calls.
    He can't go back in time and redo poor drafts and resign defensive talent that was allowed to slip away.

He isn't just new to the Rams, he's also a head coach for the first time. Considering what kind of mess he inherited, and the injuries to our O line that have crippled our offense, he isn't doing that bad.

When he inherited the team he knew our defense stuck and wanted to address that first. He did the best he could and brought in as much talent as he could buy. He hired a Defensive Coordinator in Haslett that most thought was a good move and would be a huge boost to our D.

Most of the time he manages the clock well, saves timeouts for the end of halves/games, throws the red flag appropriately.

He traded Hargrove.

He addressed our poor ST defensive play and has turned it around considerably.

He has the confidence and loyalty of his players, which speaks volumes, and outwighs all other points you can make about him.

If not for our O line stuggles, our crappy run D wouldn't even matter beacuse we'd be outscoring everyone, and we'd be winning more, and you never would have started slop.

As to his quietness in postgame interviews, I'm pretty sure if we are all this deflated and borderline depressed over today's loss, he is taking it even harder. I'd rather have him quiet in the interviews than look like a raving lunatic that so many coaches do.

Please Av we've given you way more than one reason, so be a man of your word and quit posting this slop garbage.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I don't know David. You sure place a lot of blame on one person. Maybe we can change your S.L.O.P anagram to S.old L.inehan O.ut P.arty

As many would say about Martz. He isn't the one out dropping the balls, missing tackles, blocking, sitting on the side line hurt.

There is no "I" in team. And I will be damned if you can lay all the blame on one person like you seem to think. I really hope you aren't a head hunter like this in real life or when you played organized sports.

Lets turn the page on the SLOP...

Agreed. It's simplistic to lay this on a head coach in his first season, particularly with the roster that we have.

Let's move on.

On further reflection....................

I think it's apparent, and has been so for some time, that are current roster is not as talented as it might be. The blame for this rests in several areas most notably the previous incumbent at HC, the scouting department, previous positional staffs and the front office. This dearth of talent, as unpleasant as it is to comtemplate, is the primary reason why this team of ours has the unfortunate tendency to throw in performances like this. I wouldn't say I saw it coming, but as I sat with a friend of mine last eve who hails from Massachusets (Yes, he's a Pats fan................) we highlighted this game as one that could confound the spread, if not turn it on it's head.

If we were in a position where a coaching regime was squandering an undoubted wealth of talent in a horrendous effort week-in, week-out than perhaps AV might have a legitimate point. As it is, I feel that calling for the head of a rookie head coach coming off a losing season, an indifferent roster and a rash of injuries to be simplistic. I fail to see exactly how Linehan can mitigate the weaknesses of his playing staff with decision making or can be held entirely responsible for it performing to it's talent level.

'Any given Sunday' folks.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -12-03-2006 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Thought about it for a second longer than I wanted to.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bulger
    'Weíve said stuff to people. Coaches have. But the coaches arenít on the field. Coach Linehan has addressed so many issues. Heís made a point of it. So many things. He can only beat it in so much. Itís your job. And when you donít approach football like a job and just think youíre on scholarship, thatís the problem."
    Something tells me Bulger would not aree with or appreciate SLOP. Is a testimonial from Marc good enough to kill this thing?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Something tells me Bulger would not aree with or appreciate SLOP. Is a testimonial from Marc good enough to kill this thing?
    If that's not a compelling reason....
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    He hired a Defensive Coordinator in Haslett that most thought was a good move and would be a huge boost to our D.)
    I didn't. But I echoed the party line, and now I regret it.

Most of the time he manages the clock well, saves timeouts for the end of halves/games, throws the red flag appropriately.
    Digs at Martz won't make your point.

He traded Hargrove.
    Actually, he didn't. He's not the GM.

He addressed our poor ST defensive play and has turned it around considerably.
    Exqueeze me? Have you checked our return averages?

He has the confidence and loyalty of his players
    How do you know that?

If not for our O line stuggles, our crappy run D wouldn't even matter beacuse we'd be outscoring everyone, and we'd be winning more, and you never would have started slop.
    That's a load of nonsense. If you can't stop the run, the offense can't even get on the field.

As to his quietness in postgame interviews, I'm pretty sure if we are all this deflated and borderline depressed over today's loss, he is taking it even harder.
    Its not the quiet that bothers me. Its the "I just don't know what happened" atttitude.

Please Av we've given you way more than one reason, so be a man of your word and quit posting this slop garbage.
    You've given me none.

How do you know what Bulger really thinks about Linehan? Do you really expect him to call out the Head Coach? Of course not.

Besides, Marc's statements only highlight my point. Why isn't Linehan saying these things - and DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT!?!!?! (i.e. putting the players who do care on the field)
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-03-2006 at 10:56 PM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Good point Avenger.... you would expect the coach to get fired up after or during a game like this one....I don't think it should be the QB who gets vocal, but Bulger is stepping up and throwing his weight around now. It will be interesting to see how the players respond.

What does Linehan say after the games? I don't get to hear much of his post game reviews.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How do you know what Bulger really thinks about Linehan? Do you really expect him to call out the Head Coach? Of course not.
    Well, from his statement today he obviously thinks Linehan is doing everything he can to try and get things on track. If you don't see support in comments like "Coach Linehan has addressed so many issues. Heís made a point of it. So many things. He can only beat it in so much.", then you just don't want to see it.

Bulger has backed Linehan every step of the way, from the early offensive struggles, to the calls on fourth down, to the problems of the team today. Bulger was being completely forthright and was not afraid to say what was on his mind. Do you really think he would make such a bold statement and then hold back any displeasure with Linehan? Would he praise him if he thought Linehan was a problem. Of course not.

Do you really think he would make such a bold statement and then hold back any displeasure with Linehan?
    Yes, that's exactly what I think.

Its a heck of a lot easier to call out your co-workers (many of whom, given his status as a veteran and as the starting QB, are akin to subordinates) than it is to call out your boss.

Yes, that's exactly what I think.

Its a heck of a lot easier to call out your co-workers (many of whom, given his status as a veteran and as the starting QB, are akin to subordinates) than it is to call out your boss.
    It's obvious your challenge is a no win situation and any further discussion would be senseless. It's been fun.

Its not useless at all. I merely require a quality that can be evaluated with some form of objective criteria. As I said, Coy came the closest by bringing up the turnover ratio. Unfortunately, that statistic has seen a marked downward slide, so I don't see that as a present basis to support Linehan.

Give me one good stat that shows improvement in an area of significance.

I don't see it.

I see a team that can't stop anyone, has been mediocre on offense, is 2-4 in the division, is only 3-3 at home, and hasn't put a team away with more than 2:00 to go in the game all season.

Let's remember... this team won 6 games last year despite injuries to Bulger, Jackson, Bruce, Little, and Pisa, not to mention losing the Head Coach to illness in the middle of the season.

Even with the injuries to the O line, shouldn't this team be better, particularly after adding guys like Witherspoon, Glover, Chavous, Hill and Klopfenstein?

If you say, "no," fine. That's your opinion.

My opinion is that this team isn't fighting - and I don't see the coaching staff finding 22 guys who will fight. That's their job.

So disagree if you must. I wish I shared your optimism.

Unfortunately, I don't.

Ramanator is offline Registered User

Well, from his statement today he obviously thinks Linehan is doing everything he can to try and get things on track. If you don't see support in comments like "Coach Linehan has addressed so many issues. Heís made a point of it. So many things. He can only beat it in so much.", then you just don't want to see it.

Bulger has backed Linehan every step of the way, from the early offensive struggles, to the calls on fourth down, to the problems of the team today. Bulger was being completely forthright and was not afraid to say what was on his mind. Do you really think he would make such a bold statement and then hold back any displeasure with Linehan? Would he praise him if he thought Linehan was a problem. Of course not.
    Yes he would hold back as proven by his company line towing during the Martz era. Not saying anything is wrong with supporting your leadership, as
    bulger has done, I just do not think he would ever tear down his HC, not in his character.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I could shoot down all your defenses to my arguments, but I'm done wasting my time here...enjoy your thread Avenger
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -12-04-2006 at 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling

++++ADMIN NOTE++++

guys when posting.

Please remember that this is a Ram FORUM.
    Forum = debate, discussion, round table, medium, environment.
    So,

1, If you donít want to get involved in a particular discussion, fine .. donít.
    2, If you do, then please bare in mind the forum rules.

I have seen one or two posts that have came close to breaking the rules of this forum, on this discussion but in the interests of a flowing medium I am going to let them slip but am adding this warning.

So, let the debate continue.

++++END ADMIN NOTE++++

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

about the Special Teams, werent the Rams one of the best teams for punt coverage before that 90 yard return by Burleson? Hasnt Linehan finally found a punter that is actually good? We also actually managed to have a return of over 30 yards on a kick off today from Willie Ponder.

Linehan has improved the Special Teams, but with the state of the ST as they were before the improvement doesnt look that great.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast