Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: A challenge from SLOP

SLOP isn't going away. This team should not be this bad. There is too much talent for them to be blown out at home by a 2-9 team.
    Where is all the Talent AV? Barron, COG, Setterstrom these guys are very young. We donít have an all-pro line on either side of the ball.

SLOP give me a list of the current Rams going to the pro bowl this year? If we are loaded with talent there has to be a long list of candidates to choose from.

This team has been bad for years; itís not going to get fixed in one year. DV needed three, Linehan should get two more, if we look this bad next year at this time, I will join you. Two drafts, two FA pick-ups we should start to see some improvement.

Martz was a good offensive mind no doubt, but someone fell asleep at the wheel and let to much talent walk.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams still have...

• One of the better QBs in the league.
    • One of the best young RBs in the league.
    • Excellent WRs.
    • One of the top 3 OTs in the league (we weren't winning even before Pace was injured).
    • One of the best pass rushing DEs in the league.
    • Two very good young LBs (Witherspoon, Pisa).
    • One of the best PKs in football.
    • Some young players who are showing potential (Incognito, Hill, Klopfenstein, Adeyanju, Atogwe)
    Is that enough to be Championship contenders? No.

But there's enough talent here that the Rams should be competing every week, showing some improvement, and winning home games against teams with similar or lesser talent.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Avenger Ram,

you've done a great job of defending your opinion. You did not have to do much to convince me.

Comparing Vermiel to Linehan is not apples to apples. The talent the Rams had with Vermiel was horrible. No QB or RB.... Vermiel brought the toughness back and then gave the Rams an identity and attitude.

I have not seen the toughtness or the attitude this year.

Also, the Rams have pro bowl players but when you play like crap you should not get elected to the Pro Bowl.

Before you ask for EVIDENCE Ram fan 4 life. Read your post provide us with the evidence in your statements then I will do the same. Until then this is just my opinion evident by what I see and past experience only.

Go Rams Lose the rest of the way so we can move up the draft board...

One of the top 3 OTs in the league (we weren't winning even before Pace was injured).
    We started off 4-1 and he did go down for a week and never looked the same.

Pisa has not been the same with one arm has he? And he did miss some time.

But there's enough talent here that the Rams should be competing every week, showing some improvement, and winning home games against teams with similar or lesser talent.
    The same can be said about AZ, hey all teams have some talent.

Also, the Rams have pro bowl players but when you play like crap you should not get elected to the Pro Bowl.
    This is not Tennis or Golf. Itís a team sport if you lose your center and all but one starting line men, guys like Bruce, Holt, Curtis, Marc become just well average and trend to not put up numbers.

As far as the defense goes, this was the biggest problem area to fix. Some FA like Spoon are playing well and some like Glover have not. That is where it takes time; we need the draft, FA to get more talent in here.

I will say this; Iím not thrilled with Linehan. I donít see the use of the TE, why we drafted two and donít use either of them in the passing game makes no sense. He was the offensive mined HC, all I see is check down after check down, maybe due to injuries maybe not. He is the HC, and yet the D looks the same week in and week out.

But he was the guy we hired I will give him a fair amount of time and like I said AV, if we donít get better by the middle of next year send me an application. I think we have lost too many starters on the O line to judge that side of the ball, the Defense well I'm at a loss for words.

Comparing Vermiel to Linehan is not apples to apples. The talent the Rams had with Vermiel was horrible. No QB or RB.... Vermiel brought the toughness back and then gave the Rams an identity and attitude.

In what year was his talent horrible in his first two, I think you just made my point.

Give him some time.

DV got in his third year; Warner, Marshall, AZ, Holt and Martz came in with Trent green in the third year.

With no Holt, Marshall, AZ, Warner and no Martz no greatest show, give him some time and then throw him under the bus.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    But he was the guy we hired I will give him a fair amount of time and like I said AV, if we donít get better by the middle of next year send me an application.
    I have little doubt that Linehan will get (at least) another year and, as I've said before, if the FO sees fit to retain him, I'll get behind him. Hopefully, he'll prove me wrong.

But if, at the end of the season, the FO decided to make a change (let's say FILL IN NAME OF DREAM CANDIDATE became available), I would not have a problem with that.

Would you?

Footnote: My only regret with the whole SLOP thing is that part of me thinks what I should have started is an anti-Haslett campaign instead.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Now that Mike Martz is gone the only thing I see that has improved is the relationship between the Head Coach and the front office. To be honest I don't know to what extent. Linehan doesn't deserve credit for that. Who ever was hired would have obviously improved that area of concern.

I'm really and truly on the fence with Linehan. My being on the fence is clouded because of the Documentry that been shown recently about the Greatest Show on turf team of 1999. DV came to the Rams and beat our guys into the ground until they said uncle. After 2 years of torturing and wearing down the players the team still wasn't turning the corner. Year 3 with the key additions to the offense and DV backing off just alittle bit the plan all came together. So even as experienced and successful as DV was he couldn't get to the promised land without the talent.

Linehan does have a more talented team than DV took over. Linehan has instituted his scheme and style of play. Recognizing that the Mike Martz Rams were to care free with the ball. Linehan has helped minimize the turnover issue. However his style of offense isn't working, he needs to realize and trust his offense's abilities. He has basically handcuffed everyone except Steven Jackson. Av is right, we haven't had 1 convincing win all season but have been beatdown more than once.

So I know that this isn't the answer that AV is looking for but I do feel Linehan needs time but more than that he needs more talent on the Defensive side of the ball. Right now we probably have 3 guys out of 11 that would start on the other 31 teams in the NFL. (Witherspoon,Pisa, and Little)

I am thoroughly disappointed with Linehan and Haslett....I guess they're not the miracles workers I thought they'd be. Then again the defense and O-line have been held together with band-aids and duct tape. So which is it Fire Linehan or give him the proper tools and some more time??

Sorry, I'm on the fence.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So which is it Fire Linehan or give him the proper tools and some more time??
    Replace Linehan with who though? Bringing in another new guy/staff/system just starts this process all over again.

Linehan deserves 2 years minimum to try and fix this mess we have.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Replace Linehan with who though? Bringing in another new guy/staff/system just starts this process all over again.

Linehan deserves 2 years minimum to try and fix this mess we have.
    Again that's part of why I'm on the fence. Losing brings contempt. I'm really wondering if the Rams should have hired a DC for Head Coach...:x

But if, at the end of the season, the FO decided to make a change (let's say FILL IN NAME OF DREAM CANDIDATE became available), I would not have a problem with that.

Would you?
    I will say this; I am really disappointed with the Rams this year. The offense and the Defense have been a let down. We have not put together one game where they both have played well. The only things that looks better is the kickoff and punt coverage and we still managed to lose a game on a 90-yard punt return for a TD. We are running the ball more and SJ is the real deal, running and catching.

That being said itís been a disaster, for the most part. Do we cut and run and hire a big time HC if one is available? I would have to say no.

No matter whom we brought in, it would not mean a quick turn around. There is no such guy. I look at Dallas; they still are not considered to be a real deep playoff team. And then I look at the Browns; Browns, fired coach Bill Belichick and he now would be a great hirer. If the Rams would have fired DV and we where close, we may still have never won a SB.

It really goes back to the FO, we just let too many good players go. From Flecher, Ernie, Bly, Winstrom, the list goes on and we are still looking for their replacements.

I say stay the course, give the guy time to help rebuild, not coach guys that where losing before he got here and we where losing. One more off-season and draft.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-05-2006 at 09:34 AM.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    Avenger Ram,

you've done a great job of defending your opinion. You did not have to do much to convince me.

I have not seen the toughtness or the attitude this year.

Before you ask for EVIDENCE Ram fan 4 life. Read your post provide us with the evidence in your statements then I will do the same. Until then this is just my opinion evident by what I see and past experience only.

Go Rams Lose the rest of the way so we can move up the draft board...
    you should be ashamed of your last comment,lose the rest of the way to move up in the draft,first of all,you never want to lose,no matter what the gain might be,and do you really think moving up a couple spots in the draft will help this team that much.

You may not like it but yes I am hoping the Rams lose the rest of the way. I hope the players are embarrased and they realize they need to work hard next year.

Yes, I do think a couple of picks can make a difference.... Urlacher was taken top 3rd of the 1st round, how about Ray Lewis, and I am sure you can think of some more players like Merriman.

Maybe losing we can get the Rams into a position to take an impact player like one of these guys.....

So,,,,, no I am not ashame. The Rams have done very little this year to deserve my full support. They have shown little improvement and if they continue to play this way then YES I hope they LOSE.

If they start to show some heart then I will hope for a WIN.....

You may not like it but yes I am hoping the Rams lose the rest of the way. I hope the players are embarrased and they realize they need to work hard next year.

Yes, I do think a couple of picks can make a difference.... Urlacher was taken top 3rd of the 1st round, how about Ray Lewis, and I am sure you can think of some more players like Merriman.

Maybe losing we can get the Rams into a position to take an impact player like one of these guys.....

So,,,,, no I am not ashame. The Rams have done very little this year to deserve my full support. They have shown little improvement and if they continue to play this way then YES I hope they LOSE.

You are intitled to your opinion. You're right Urlacher, Lewis and Merriman were great draft picks. My response to the draft is for every 3 great picks how many bad ones are there? We've had the players here and let them get away. London Fletcher, Dre Bly, Grant Wistrom....to name a few. We the fans support our team and want them to win "ALWAYS". Whether they win or lose full support will always come from me and alot of other ST. LOUIS RAMS fans.
    So, Please stay with us we will be back.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

to hope your team loses and not giving them your full support,are you serious ? i respect your opinion, i really do and i have a day off and its cold and snowing in N.Y., so i will be on the computer all day, not looking for an argument just debating some stuff,thats the mentality of the team right now,they don't care, so is it ok for the fans to give up to ?, i don't think so,if anything the fans need to show there 100% support, as hard as it may be right now.i think this season is shot, but i don't believe this team is shot, i that making some good moves this off season could put us right back in it next year.the foundation is there,but as they say the window of oppurtunity is closing quickly for some of our veterans,so change must be quick.

I have no problems with supporting the Rams when they earn my support . I supported the Rams all through the 90's. I had no problems supporting them we had a streak of bad luck and the talent or coaching for the most part was not in our favor....

This year I am very unimpressed with the effort and the coaching. I see a team on a decline and ongoing issues never addressed properly. Special teams, run defense, and so on.

For the 1st time in my life I stop watching a Rams game last week. After, Arizona scored and basically put the game out of reach I was done watching.

This team has no leadership (maybe Bulger?) for the most part. No attitude or Heart IMHO.....

We have good enough talent. Look a the Cowboys can you honestly say they have more talent than the Rams. Maybe a little more on the D side but I would take our O side anyday yet we are worlds apart when it comes to winning football games?????

This team quits and you may or may not want to hear it. One thing Haslette brought from New Orleans his team always folded down the stretch........

I have no problems standing behind a team who gives full effort from whistle to whistle. Until I see that I will hope the Rams will lose and get some new players with a winning attitude. I refuse to cheer for a team who is playing flat without heart or even an attempt to get better........

That is my 2 cents.... You do not have to agree it's what I see.... Lineham needs to improve the attitute of this team or his HC job will be a very short visit......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast