MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Challenges for Rams in camp ...

Exerpt from Bucky Brooks SI
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...est/index.html

St. Louis Rams
    Challenge No. 1: Get better production from the defensive line.

After watching their defensive line get dominated for most of last season, the Rams aggressively made moves to upgrade the front four. James Hall was acquired from Detroit to fill a hole at right defensive end and Adam Carriker was taken in the first round to line up at nose tackle. Their toughness and excellent pass rush skills should alleviate some of the pressure on Leonard Little as the Rams' dominant pass rusher. But defensive coordinator Jim Haslett still has to find more ways to create favorable matchups for his squad. St. Louis can't have a repeat of last season, when it finished 31st in rushing defense.

Challenge No. 2: Incorporate Drew Bennett and Randy McMichael into the passing game.

Despite having two 1,000 yard receivers (Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce), the Rams added Bennett and McMichael to help out against the heavy amount of Cover Two defenses they'll see. Bennett's size and athleticism makes him an ideal red-zone receiver and his deceptive speed makes him a weapon as the third receiver in spread sets. McMichael gives them a legitimate threat down the middle; his athleticism also makes their two-tight end package dangerous.

Challenge No. 3: See if rookie Brian Leonard can handle various roles on offense.

The rookie out of Rutgers gives the Rams the combo back they sorely need. If he's as good a runner, receiver and blocker as expected, he'd give Scott Linehan another key piece in what appears to be a diverse and dynamic offensive package

I think it is going to be really tough for Brian to excel at this level -- he quite simply has bulked up too much !!
    http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/415246

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Challenges for Rams in camp ...

Challenge #4. Improve the special teams, coverage and return units.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I think it is going to be really tough for Brian to excel at this level -- he quite simply has bulked up too much !!
    Whoa! Maybe Leonard adopted Carriker's meal plan.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Wow, he could play OG or DL. I had no idea he was that friggin big.
    Last edited by badmoforamfan; -07-13-2007 at 02:52 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    Wow, he's could play OG or DL. I had no idea he was that friggin big.
    Pretty sure it's a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pretty sure it's a typo.
    Yup ...

z.nrd Guest

Exerpt from Bucky Brooks SI
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...est/index.html

St. Louis Rams
    Challenge No. 1: Get better production from the defensive line.

After watching their defensive line get dominated for most of last season, the Rams aggressively made moves to upgrade the front four. James Hall was acquired from Detroit to fill a hole at right defensive end and Adam Carriker was taken in the first round to line up at nose tackle. Their toughness and excellent pass rush skills should alleviate some of the pressure on Leonard Little as the Rams' dominant pass rusher. But defensive coordinator Jim Haslett still has to find more ways to create favorable matchups for his squad. St. Louis can't have a repeat of last season, when it finished 31st in rushing defense.

Challenge No. 2: Incorporate Drew Bennett and Randy McMichael into the passing game.

Despite having two 1,000 yard receivers (Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce), the Rams added Bennett and McMichael to help out against the heavy amount of Cover Two defenses they'll see. Bennett's size and athleticism makes him an ideal red-zone receiver and his deceptive speed makes him a weapon as the third receiver in spread sets. McMichael gives them a legitimate threat down the middle; his athleticism also makes their two-tight end package dangerous.

Challenge No. 3: See if rookie Brian Leonard can handle various roles on offense.

The rookie out of Rutgers gives the Rams the combo back they sorely need. If he's as good a runner, receiver and blocker as expected, he'd give Scott Linehan another key piece in what appears to be a diverse and dynamic offensive package

I dunno about Leonard as a blocker. Except occassionally. That I'll have to see. But I think he can do it as a runner at this level. Maybe more of an inside bull power runner, but my bet is, he can be effective.

Agree about the DL. They have some new faces and it should make some difference.

In addition to what you say, Bennett is also a deep-threat guy. Actually, maybe the best one they have. He is not the scary fast deep threat type---it's his height, concentration, hands. A 6'5" deep threat. Not a bad addition. Plus, he'll be good on those sideline jump balls Linehan seems to like.

I want to add one more thing to your list. OL. Barron needs to settle down, and in a different way so does Incognito (Tweek and Cartman?) But Boudreau is a great coach, so if they do settle down, which is easily possible, this could be one of the best Rams OLs in a long long time. Maybe even going back to the Robinson days.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pretty sure it's a typo.
    Typo......or he is wearing his new Osmium lined cleats.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The only thing I'm concerned about on offense right now is cutting down on sacks. The only teams that allowed more last year were Oakland, Detroit, and Cleveland. Not exactly the company we want to be in. Barron in particular needs to take his game up a notch. He has the ability, but he needs to be more consistent.

Obviously, fixing the defensive line is going to be the biggest challenge, though. I'm looking forward to seeing Hall in action, but I think we're going to have to temper our expectations of Carriker as a rookie starter at a new position.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Obviously, fixing the defensive line is going to be the biggest challenge, though. I'm looking forward to seeing Hall in action, but I think we're going to have to temper our expectations of Carriker as a rookie starter at a new position.

DL is the priority, I agree, but I also feel very optimistic (it's hard for me not to have high AC expectations). I want to see Glover stepping up as a mentor / leader here even if he only plays occasionally through rotation.

Now as for B. Leonard, that better be a TYPO! :O Was 226 lbs. the intended report, or 236?

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

Now as for B. Leonard, that better be a TYPO! :O Was 226 lbs. the intended report, or 236?
    Don't worry !! He'll still be pretty fast, but he'll have trouble jumping over people like he used to in college ...

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I'm suddenly reminded of Madden doing color work in The Replacements, when the big Asian lineman runs the deflected pass in for the touchdown. "I love it when a fat guys scores, because you get a fat guy spike, followed by a fat guy dance!" Give some love to our new lineman sized fullback!

That said, it had better be a typo.