Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By QUINNtessentialTruth

Thread: Chat with Executive VP of Football Operations and COO Kevin Demoff

Rambos is online now Registered User

Chat with Executive VP of Football Operations and COO Kevin Demoff

Rams Fans, it's great to chat with you today. It's been a busy week, and I know many of you have great excitement about the hiring of Jeff Fisher and many of you are here because you have great trepidation about today's announcement. As a franchise, we are excited about both and the chance to become an elite franchise in the NFL. With that, let's chat!

Hi, Mr. Demoff! I appreciate the time you take with us fans. That being said, did you really believe that fans would be happy with the fact that THREE home games are now scheduled to be played in London, one in each of the next three years? I am so unhappy about this that I cannot believe it. I NEVER thought we would lose THREE home games!! I don't look upon it as an honor, but as a snub. What was Mr. Kroenke thinking? By the way, I loved the hiring of Jeff Fisher. I felt certain that better days were on the horizon. But now I'm not so sure. Please tell me that I'm wrong.

VP of Football Operations and COO Kevin Demoff, Stlouisrams.com
    To be honest, we knew the news today would provide a mixed bag for our fan base. We view London as a powerful tool to build our fan base regionally, nationally and globally for the long-term. But we also knew that in the short-term, many of our best fans would be upset by the news. To wake up and find out that we are playing a game in 2012-2014 in London and not St. Louis is a shock, and certainly given fan angst over the lease situation, it likely appears more ominous than it actually is. Our thinking is we need to find a way to grow our fan base and this is a way to leverage the power of the NFL to do so.
    Rich, St. Louis
    3:17 PM CT
    I know you have said that this London thing is good for the Rams. How is it good for ram fans?
    I realize people think I'm being disingenuous when I say this is a good thing for St. Louis, but here is why I think that: 1. The league is placing its faith in the St. Louis Rams and now has a vested interest in our success. That means potentially a better schedule, a possible primetime game, things like that. 2. This is a unique opportunity to showcase St. Louis globally and especially in the UK. For multinational businesses like AB, Monsanto, Enterprise, Emerson, Purina, etc, this provides a platform that combines their local roots with international reach. 3. The bigger we can make our brand nationally and globally, the bigger it makes our "effective market size". If you look at Buffalo playing yearly in Toronto, they are applying the same concept to grow their fan base while still being a regional and local team.
    Austin, St. Louis
    3:22 PM CT
    Tired of the constant F-you's by your organization. You guys have successfully alienated your entire fanbase over and over again. You guys are the laughingstock of the league, congrats.
    Austin, I think today's announcement with the league shows just the opposite. I will admit, at times, given our record on the field and our performance off the field that we have been the laughinstock of the NFL. Today the NFL's venture with us in the UK shows that they have great faith in our organization and that we are anything but a laughingstock in their eyes.
    Michael Wolf, St. Louis
    3:24 PM CT
    How does "growing the fan base globally for the long-term" for Mr. Kroenke's team, SPECIFICALLY benefit the St. Louis Rams fan? Why should we care if Kroenke can sell Ram's hoodies in Cambridge?
    Michael, Those hoodies in Cambridge could help pay for the next CB we need or might allow us to reduce concession prices for hot dogs. Growing our fan base globally allows for revenue streams beyond St. Louis that reduce the pressure on St. Louis to deliver those revenue streams. Additionally, the larger the global brand, the more the TV networks and advertisers see our Club as one they want to work with and the better that is for our visibility.
    Gabe Gore, Algood, TN
    3:28 PM CT
    Thanks for taking time to answer our questions. How is the GM search coming along?
    The GM search is going to pick up steam next week as we interview candidates beginning Thursday or Friday. We have six to eight candidates we are interested in meeting with who are emerging stars in the personnel world. We will also speak with Les Snead and Lake Dawson again now that Coach Fisher is here. We hope to make progress by the Super Bowl but the goal is to find the right voice to lead the personnel department moving forward. The Head Coach/GM relationship is the most important in the building and we need to get it right.
    Todd Swope, St. Louis/ PSLholder since 95'
    3:32 PM CT
    Why doesn't Stan Kroeke hold a public meeting to discuss his fututre for STL and the Rams? He has been silent for too long and we need something.
    Todd, I think as we get farther into the lease process this is something we would consider. I know our fans want to hear more from ownership, but as Stan said on Tuesday, this isn't necessarily the most appropriate time to discuss the topic before we start talking with the city. Our goal is to build a winning organization on and off the field in St. Louis, and that continues to be the goal for the next year, three years, ten years, twenty years.
    Kevin, Downtown
    3:35 PM CT
    Why cant you guys just commit to STL so we can all renew our season tix and everyone else can be happy? This is painful for us.
    Kevin, I understand exactly where you are coming from. Believe me, nobody would be happier than me to announce a long-term agreement to keep the team in St. Louis. We want this team to be successful and win for our fan base that has been loyal to us for so long, including some terrible stretches of football. However, we also realize that we can greatly improve the fan experience for all of our fans and season ticket holders and that those changes, in addition to playing better football, can make the experience in the Edward Jones Dome better for all fans. Our goal is to tell our fans positive news once we have positive news, and we all hope that is the outcome. But I think it would be lousy of us to pay lip service to what you want to hear just to score quick PR points. I hope our fans understand that.
    Tyler Bishop, O'Fallon, attended every home game
    3:40 PM CT
    How does the London business show a commitment to winning. Certainly it does not benefit the players and coaches to travel across the Atlantic to play what is actually an away game.
    Tyler, we actually hope that we can gain a competitive advantage by playing abroad and knowing exactly how to adapt to the conditions versus a team traveling to the UK for the first time. Additionally, with Arsenal's facilities, we should have the opportunity to have a normal practice schedule in the UK should we want it. Finally this will allow us to have a bye in early November for the next few years which is highly important to the overall health of our team down the stretch. And let's face it, we haven't played any better at home the past few years than on the road.
    RamFan80, St. Louis
    3:42 PM CT
    You mentioned more money from London means less money required from St. Louis. Could we make the leap that a game in London every year and expanding the base there might make it easier for the Rams and STL to reach a deal.
    That's one of the few leaps I've seen today that actually has some truth in it. We aren't looking at doing this every year but we will continue to look for ways to innovate and increase our fan base.
    David, St. Louis, MO
    3:43 PM CT
    Kevin, I was contemplating buying season tickets for next season before today. What do you tell me and, more importantly, the current season ticket holders who just lost the most compelling home game for the season? Why would I commit to a PSL and tickets when I can get them cheaper on the secondary market? Finally, what do the rams tell the St. Louis business owners who depend on home games?
    David, first off, I don't think we have any idea what the most compelling game of the 2012 season will be. We could be making a playoff push in December and be playing the Vikings and that could be the most important game to have at home. Certainly the Patriots are an attractive draw and we might prefer to have the London game be an NFC opponent that plays here more often, but the 2012 games will be compelling in their own right, and the Packers/Jets/***** and others coming to STL might be just as intriguing when the games arrive.
    Mike - original PSL holder, Chesterfield
    3:46 PM CT
    I think that there is a perception around the league that St. Louis has not supported the Rams. I don't think that could be further from the truth. Given the team's record over the past six plus years, and there have been only like two blackouts, they get exemplary ratings on television, and interest remains high. Look at all the empty seats in Oakland, Tampa, Carolina, Jacksonville, yet you never hear about those cities not supporting their teams. Where do you think this thought process comes from?
    Mike, I don't think that perception exists around the league at all. In fact, one of the factors in Coach Fisher choosing St. Louis was the passion of our fan base and the reputation of STL as a great sports city. I think in the stretch from 2007-2009 when we had a number of blackouts and declining ticket sales, people may have thought that, but as we move forward as an organization, the past few years have demonstrated the passion of our fan base.
    Mike, Affton
    3:48 PM CT
    Did the Rams approach the league, or vise versa, on committing 3 straight years for one team's home games to be played in London? Why land on that number of games? Why wouldn't 1 game have showcased St.Louis globally? Any connection between 3 games in London takes the team thru their current STL lease?
    Mike, the league approved an initiative in October allowing teams to apply to play for up to five years. The majority of teams applied for three years because that was enough time for the league to consider the request but also not committing for the long term. There is some connection to the lease timing, but that wasn't the driving force in the years. The driving force was our desire to partner with the league in putting on these games and knowing we had to show a commitment to the league. On the flipside, people want to say that once the games expire we can leave, but what if we also look at it as once the improvements take place we want to return back to a refurbished building for good?
    Steve, St. Louis
    3:52 PM CT
    Arsenal, whats with the rumors about Arsenal playing here in STL? How good of a chance do we have seeing this materialize?
    Steve, we have broached the subject with Arsenal and hope that they decide to embark upon a tour of the US in the near future. If they did, I think it would make great sense for them to come to STL and play in the Edward Jones Dome as a way to build the STL-London relationship.
    Bob N. Weaver, Saint Louis, MO
    3:53 PM CT
    I want to apologize for the behavior of some fans in this chat and others, and on the radio, etc. Please understand that this is an emotional relationship the fans have with the team, and people get excited about it. It's not much different than your wife coming home and telling you about she has a lot of other suitors and if you don't start looking like George Clooney and buying her diamonds and mansions she may decide to leave.
    Love the name. Nobody should apologize for our fans being worried about the team leaving, I would feel worse if this was met with apathy. We have great fans who are passionate about the St. Louis Rams, and right now, they could care less about growing our brand globally or increasing our footprint. I'm sure if we announced in March that we had reached an agreement with the city for a 30 year lease extension our fans might warm up to the idea of growing our brand more. But today is a shock and seems like we are being disrespectful. I see it as quite the opposite, this is us doing everything we can to make sure our brand grows and remains viable in St. Louis.
    Dan, Las Vegas
    3:56 PM CT
    I am pleased with the hiring of Jeff Fisher, It looks like Gregg Williams is soon to be on board also. Are you close to naming a GM soon, or an offensive coordinator?
    Dan, Coach Fisher said yesterday he would like have both coordinators in place by early next week, so that is the target date. I know Coach Fisher is currently meeting with a number of coaching candidates in the building and hopefully we will have news soon.
    Jill, Columbia
    3:57 PM CT
    You made that comment about improving the dome to make it a better experience for the fans. How? I've been a PSL owner since the beginning and if I had a problem with my experience at the Dome, I wouldn't renew every year. The improvement issues that concern me, have to do with what the RAMS will do if they don't happen. So, please don't confuse what the Rams want with the Fans' experience.
    Jill, what we want is a better fan experience. For example, we know that it takes too long for our fans to get into the building, that most fans can't send text messages or receive calls in the building, that we can offer better food choices, that the sound system needs to be improved. Those are all things we hear from fans that we know impact the fan experience and we would like to evaluate.
    Devin Kempker, St. Louis
    4:00 PM CT
    I am starting to wonder about the location of the Rams in a few years. Some say that baby-steps are being made back to L.A., and others believe that they could possibly end up in the U.K. The question is will St. Louis be the Rams home for good or will they be moving sometime in the future? As a fan, I would hate to see them leave!!
    Devin, is it possible that we are neither taking baby steps towards LA nor focused on moving to London but rather are just trying to improve our franchise?
    John bryant, creal springs il
    4:02 PM CT
    Kevin, what this all comes down to is that we, NFL fans in St. Louis, have been burned before. One of the worst days of my life, other than losing a loved one, was the day the Big Red, announced they were leaving St. Louis. I remember exactly where I was and how it felt. I don't want that feeling again.
    John, I can't tell you how many times I've heard that exact sentiment from our fans. We don't want that feeling again for our fans either, which is why we are trying to be proactive and solve our issues. This is a great sports city and a passionaate football fan base and the last thing we want to do is let our fans down who have been so loyal to us.
    Kalvin, St Louis
    4:04 PM CT
    Are there any intentions of bringing any preseason game over there? As season ticket holders, we're paying full value for two worthless preseason games to obtain 8 real games. Now we only get 7 games and to top it off, you take away one of our prime games and export it. As least the Bills had the decency to make Toronto host some preseason games.
    Kalvin, we are looking at how we make the preseason right for our fans as is the entire league. If we could take a preseason game to London, we would, I promise you that. On a positive note today as I know our fans are looking for any positive news, we will continue to have training camp in St. Louis and will try to increase the events at the Edward Jones Dome for our fans to see the team for free.
    David, Wentzville, MO
    4:06 PM CT
    Mr. Demoff, I really appreciate your optimistic tone regarding the Rams future in St. Louis. As you can see, we're all worried about them leaving. We are great fans and deserve to keep our team. In fact, I will personally organize a boycott of all things Rams, NFL and Kroenke if they go. That being said, how confident are you a new lease will be worked out? Also, does Stan care if St. Louis buys tickets this year? If so, he sure doesnt act like it.
    David, we all care if St. Louis buys tickets this year. If we didn't, we wouldn't be hosting sessions like this, going on radio and TV today to explain our thinking or sending an email to season ticket holders before the news was announced. We realize this will be an educational process with our fan base as we have had longer to think about the pros and cons than our fans have. As for the lease, we are excited to being the process this month and resolve the situation. I know how difficult the lease issue is on our fans and how much it pains them to have be in this position again, it's not something we enjoy either. But we promise to be open and honest and communicate throughout the process.
    Richard, St. Louis
    4:09 PM CT
    First off Mr. Demoff, thank you for taking the time to answer questions on a day when a rather large announcement was made. I understand that the NFL is a business, and this is a business decision. However, could you at least explain why the timing of the announcement when the CVC has to make a proposal by February 1st? Was it possible to make the announcement any earlier than today?
    Richard, the league finalized the arrangements this week and informed the teams of the decision and the date earlier midweek. The timing isn't perfect, but this gives us plenty of time to interact with concerned fans and move forward towards a positive solution.
    pat, st.louis
    4:11 PM CT
    Kevin, any plans to change up the uniforms?
    Haven't there been enough changes this week??? We are going to evaluate our uniforms with Nike over the next year or so and may consider changing the throwbacks to the Blue and White, but I know the yellow and blue is nostalgic for many fans. All options will be on the table.
    Craig, Ohio
    4:12 PM CT
    Kevin - appreciate the job you are doing , does your gut tell you Brandon Lloyd will resign with us? Teaming him with a draft pick or free agent would certainly help Sam and boost the offense. Thanks
    Brandon enjoyed his time with the Rams a great deal, and the chance to prove what a great place this is to play was one of the reasons we traded for him despite being 0-5. I think we would have a good shot at resigning him and that process will begin soon.
    Jonathan,
    4:14 PM CT
    KD, I don't love the London news, but I get it. Honestly, I do. That news would be much easier to swallow if there wasn't a lease situation looming. It's difficult to make an emotional and financial investment in your team with all these uncertainties. Anything new you can say to reassure us?
    Jonathan, our goal is to build an emotional connection with all of our fans, and we recognize our fans want to embrace us but get the sense that we aren't "all in". Nothing could be further from the truth. We spend all of our days trying to make the St. Louis Rams a better organization and better football team. Yesterday we performed our January Day of Service with the Urban League, the 30th consecutive month we have performed a day of service. We care about St. Louis and care about getting it right here.
    Stephen , St. Charles
    4:16 PM CT
    Kevin, I'm a die hard fan and I have extreme confidence that if we just add a few key pieces to the team (Justin Blackmon) that we will have a successful season. That being said who do you think we might draft and also what's your guess for are record next season?
    One thing all Rams fans can agree on today is that we need playmakers, and certainly Justin Blackmon and the other WR's in the draft fit that profile. We're excited to sit down with the new coaching staff and GM and identify a plan to get better both quickly and for the long term. The Senior Bowl will be the beginning of that process and I can't wait to get back to talking football.
    jim, springfield
    4:18 PM CT
    randy karaker has it right, show no passion towards the rams because they will do nothing for you in return. you do realize all of st. louis radio is killing the lambs toady, right?
    I'm going on the Fast Lane in 20 minutes, thanks for the heads up. We do realize we are getting killed today, and that's ok. People say that we just don't get PR and if we did we wouldn't do this. Our goal isn't to win the PR battle today, our goal is to make the best decisions for the long-term interests of the franchise in St. Louis and we all believe we did that with the International Series. If we have to trade a week of bad press for more opportunity for a long-term agreement in St. Louis, that's an easy trade for us to make.
    Jeff, Creve Coeur
    4:20 PM CT
    I am a charter PSL holder and am concerned about a move as well, but I think I understand what you are trying to do. Is what the Rams are doing analogous to what Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool have done in England - going from regional football teams to globally successful brands?
    Jeff, that is exactly what we are trying to do. I realize the difference is those clubs play exhibition games in far flung places and not actual games, but that is how they built the international following that sustains those clubs and has spurred their growth. We have a chance to become the next Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers, why wouldn't we try to do that?
    Greg, Carthage MO
    4:21 PM CT
    We have heard the fans reaction to the movement of a game a year to London for the next few years. Have you had any feedback from the players? How do they feel about one less game at home each year? Any speculation on any impact this may have in recruiting free agents?
    This may surprise our fans, but our players are very excited to play in London. The game is a primetime game in front of 80,000+ fans, and the environment is that of a playoff game. Plus, the fact that they get a later bye has them excited as well. The news was received positively by the players, at least the ones in the building today.
    darrell, st louis mo
    4:22 PM CT
    What would you say to the downtown restaurants and bar owners who rely on footbball games to generate income?
    I would say that a viable franchise in St. Louis for years to come that is of greater stature in the NFL is better for business than what we have been putting on the field for the past decade or so. If we start winning games and become a household name, everybody in St Louis will benefit.
    Mike Dietrich, Bridgeton
    4:24 PM CT
    Could you leverage the loss of three home games to get a Superbowl game in St. Louis?
    Sounds like a great idea
    4:25 PM CT
    can you guarantee that money generated from the international series will be re-invested? also will st Louis fans get cheap flights/tickets ect?
    To paraphrase from our owner, I can promise you the Jack that comes from London will be reinvested back into the Club. We are going to make sure our fans have great packages that are as affordable as we can make them. We want our fans to be part of this experience.
    Cory, Wentzville Mo
    4:26 PM CT
    Kevin, I wonder, is one criteria you are looking for in a GM is someone who has a history of trading a high first round pick?
    Our criteria for a GM is someone who can work well with the head coach and is a great evaluator. If we can find both of those traits than we will have found the right guy. Experience in trading a high pick is a plus but not a prerequisite.
    Todd Swope, St. Louis
    4:28 PM CT
    How is Sam Bradfords ankle these days?
    Sam's ankle is improving every day, he saw an ankle specialist right after the season who said he should be fine to start the off-season program and that everything would keep healing in time. He is in great spirits.
    Craig Beiermann, Jerseyville, Il
    4:29 PM CT
    one thing i know as a Rams fan that doesnt make since is why in the world do you take the best game on the schedule to London? Why not a team we play every year like San Fran., Seattle, or Arizona?
    Craig, the New England game is obviously a game we'd like to have for our fans, but the final opponent ultimately was the league call. I think over time this will even out and a less desirable game may be the one chosen. We still have a number of good games on the schedule for next year!
    DT , Godfrey
    4:49 PM CT
    I have been a Rams season ticket holder for 17 years and have only missed 2 games. Why do you not do something for your loyal long time season ticket holders? You throw all your perks to everyone but your most loyal fan base.
    We held exclusive lunches for our Charter PSL holders this past fall that were well attended. We held a draft preview Q&A for our season ticket holders as well as special training camp perks. I promise you we pay special attention to our season ticket holders and believe in rewarding them for their faith in us.
    MoSkeeter, St Louis PSL holder since 1998
    5:01 PM CT
    Sorry but the idea that I get from this whole thing is that the Rams organization is saying that the games in London will be a boost to the organization. TRUE but it is also telling me that we are going to go where the money is. All this hoopla about doing it for St Louis is just that ... Hoopla". Thru out this whole thing you keep stating "for the Rams organization" which is telling me that if the Rams get a better offer from LA.....Bye, Bye St. Louis.
    MoSkeeter, I think we are consistent in saying this is better for the St Louis Rams organization. This isn't about who makes the best offer, its about finding a solution to make it work in St. Louis.
    Matt 'Micro' Read,
    5:02 PM CT
    Although the international series has caused upset people need to realize its for the future of not just the franchise but also for player development, as its very similar to playing a post season game which not many of our young players have experienced yet. most importantly our young franchise qb
    Last year, the Buccaneers sought out playing in London because they viewed it as a chance for their young players to get a "big game environment". I think there is a lot of value for a young team to get to play in an environment like Wembley.
    Kevin M., Paducah KY
    5:04 PM CT
    Kevin, I've met you in person and you seem like a nice guy and I certainly don't envy your job of answering these questions. As a season ticket holder that has faith in Mr. Kroenke, what are the chances of the lease agreement being settled before the season ticket payments are due on May 1st. I'd buy 2 years up front IF I knew there was a lease extension done.
    Nothing would make us happier than to have a lease initiative finalized before May 1st, not because of season ticket renewals, but because it would provide great relief to an anxious fan base.
    James Sutton, Fort Smith, AR
    5:05 PM CT
    As a caveat to your answer given to RamFan80 (nice name btw) Winning might help your cause...with your fans and thus your ability to negotiate with the city.
    I couldn't agree more, hence the addition of Coach Fisher!
    JIM, St. Louis
    5:06 PM CT
    As a owner of 4 PSL's (investor) - I am struggling with this 3 year London deal. Personally - I think it sucks! It works for Stan - I get that ...but it leaves us on the short end. To be fair - Stan should "donate" ticket costs for us season ticket holders to one of our 2 meaningless preseason games for the sacrifice that we have to make - can you make that happen? On a positive note - THANK YOU KEVIN for your hard work in getting us Jeff Fisher. As a loyal Rams fan - I'm grasping at anything I can to stay onboard!
    This is a great comment/question to end the chat on. We are exploring all avenues to make things better for our season ticket holders with preseason and the total costs of attending Rams games, and the flexibility London gives us may provide other benefits to STH that are unseen as of right now. We are tremendously excited about the hiring of Jeff Fisher and what it means to our ability to win games moving forward. Getting the GM on board and the coaching staff finalized will go a long way to helping us win games as well. We have great fans who are loyal and want to find ways to stay on board. Have patience and see the plan unfold, and judge us by our actions over the next year and not just the news cycle today. We want to build a winner in St. Louis for our great fans who have stuck with us through toough times, and you have my pledge we will do everything we can to be successful in St. Louis. As for another home game, let's add 2 more home games in the playoffs and we will all be excited. Kevin
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-21-2012 at 08:40 PM.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Chat with Executive VP of Football Operations and COO Kevin Demoff

I don't envy that man's job right now at all. He's probably taking a beating from every fan he meets. I don't really get the feeling they want to leave St. Louis and really are trying to find new ways of generating revenue for a team that isn't playing great football. Taking that London money and putting it back into the Rams is a pretty smart movie imo. Of course I'm not losing a game since I cannot attend anyway so I'd probably feel different if I had to pay for season tickets.

As for the move to LA ... it really makes no sense to be worried about it like some of these fans are. There's a reason that 2 prominent football organizations left one of the largest markets in sports and the NFL hasn't been back. Crap, even Cleveland got a new team when the Browns left. Cleveland! LA doesn't seem to be a football town and I think the NFL knows it.
    Last edited by DE_Ramfan; -01-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Why would they want to leave St. Louis?

Ofcourse, they don't. Thats why they hired Fisher.

They know if they can atleast be competitive they can fill the seats, and that would be much easier than uprooting.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If Kevin Demoff is fed up of the whining fans from St Louis, too scared about losing a home game rather than enjoying the current turn around of the team, he can come to London, where I'm sure i won't be alone in being a Rams fan thanking him profusely for expanding the global market and allowing me to see my team for the first time in person

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Yeah he is definitely taking a beating. Hopefully once this off-season runs through people will calm down about that a little, especially if we win some games.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.