Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Chat w/ Gordon from Monday 6/11

Gordo Live
    By Jeff Gordon
    Monday, June 11, 2007

Q: How do you think the interior of the offensive line will end up? Incognito seems a slam dunk for one of the guard spots, but is McCollum still in the mix for center? Is Setterstram a given for the other guard? Is this the year Alex Baron gets the snap count?

Jeff Gordon: Don't rule out Claude Terrell at guard or Dustin Fry at center. McCollum ought to be the center if he is his old self, but that is a big if. Incognito and Barron are future stars and Setterstrom could become a mainstay, too, if he progresses in pass protection.

Q: I have some concerns with the Rams defensive line. With Kennedy being shipped off to Denver for just about nothing, I think the Rams are putting a lot of their eggs into the basket of Carriker. What other possible moves could the Rams make to bolster thier D-Line? Is Jenkins still a possibility? Thanks for your time.

Jeff Gordon: I was baffled by Kennedy's exit at this point of the offseason. Why not get to training camp to see where the kids really are? And why deal him for a sixth-round pick when you weren't sure what else you could acquire between now and then? Apparently the coaches were as disappointed with him as Ram Nation in general.

The Jenkins deal has to be in play now. When the club didn't jump at Sam Adams, I figured they were happy with their unit. That obviously wasn't the case.

Q: One of the strangest retirements in the history of the NFL...what in the world happened to Aeneas Williams? Why haven't the Rams held a halftime celebration for him?

Jeff Gordon: That was sad -- and now that the Martz Regime is gone, the time has passed for that sort of ceremony.

Q: Why all the fuss about trading Kennedy. The run defense could not be worse at 4.9 TPC last year. Any other body would be an improvement.

Jeff Gordon: I see your point, but it's always good to have options. Kennedy could have at least provided some camp insurance against injuries or the failure of one or more of the young DTs.

Q: Seems like Rams should have gotton AT Least a 5th for Kennedy on a straight trade or At Least conditional 6th plus, or packaged with trade for other need player if not done at this early stage...what's your take? Also, if still interested in Jenkins, agree should lower any offer to no more than 4th or 5th?

Jeff Gordon: The Panthers and Rams are both posturing on Jenkins. Carolina insists he is in its plans, despite the agent's effort to force a deal. And the Rams say they are happy with Claude Wroten. What the Rams ultimately pay for Jenkins -- if they made the deal -- will depend on what other teams do. The Panthers ought to hang onto him another other teams start losing DTs to injuries.

As for Kennedy, the team put him on the block a while ago. To nobody's surprise, there wasn't much interest. When the Rams drafted all those DTs, other teams knew he could come into play. There just wasn't much interest in him.

Q: On June 7th Shefter of NFL Network reports that the Rams would be interested in Culpepper only if he is released, then the following day Culpepper announces that he refuses to be traded and demands his release. Could it be that regardless of our qb status, Culpepper wants to come to the rams because of his prior relationship with Linehan. Plus the rams seem to be clearing cap space(cutting butler and trading kennedy) for some type of signing, trade or maybe they are just getting ready to resign bulger.

Jeff Gordon: Linehan has seemed lukewarm about Culpepper, largely because he loves Frerotte as a back-up and he has come to appreciate Bulger -- to the point of campaigning for a new deal for him. Baltimore might be a better fit for Daunte, since McNair can't play forever and Boller needs a fresh start.

Q: How comfortable are you with the Rams Decision to go with an all rookie Def.Line. My opinioin is it can't be any worse than it's been the last 3 years so let's give the kids a chance....and that same attitude has helped our Offensive Line Play.

Jeff Gordon: The Rams did have uncommon success with young OL last year. And Setterstrom was a late pick. (So was Tony Palmer, who was good enough to stay.) If the young DTs want to work, there is no reason why they can't hold up in his scheme.

Q: Don't know about you but I've got major heartburn about Haslett's defense. Where is he going with it? Lovie was fast and small which works fine until they hit fast and big. Marmie was over-complex & clueless. So with the post Marmie/Lovie revolving door in tackles, ends and linebackers, Which best chacterizes Haslett's direction:
    1. Finger in the dike?
    2. Roll the dice?
    3. Keep shuffling the deck?
    4. Buy high sell low?
    5. Beggar on NFL Freeway on-ramp?

Jeff Gordon: I think he does, but we'll see soon enough. He knew the guys he inherited weren't good enough and he has been assertively cleaning house. Was he right about Carriker and the other draft picks? The Rams hope so, because he moved dramatically toward youth.

Q: 1) What do you think the Rams need to do to once again be a Super Bowl contender?

2) Do you think we will have any interest in any players when the NFL's Supplemental Draft arrives?

I'll be at Rams Park this week, so we'll see about the supplemental draft. That usually yields nothing.

To get back to the Super Bowl, a LOT of guys would have grow up fast. Healthy skilled players plus a powerful offensive line would get the Rams into the playoffs, but it will take dramatic progress on defense and special to really contend again.

Q: If Linehan is looking to add a veteran defensive end, why not sign up Grant Wistrom? I read somewhere that he'd still be interested in playing for the Rams again. Besides adding depth to the d-line, he'd make the perfect mentor for Carriker. With Jimmy Kennedy gone, what are the chances that the Rams will pick up either Wistrom or maybe Kris Jenkins?

Jeff Gordon: If Wistrom really wants to play and he is really in football shape and he is really interesting in coming to the Rams for back-up money, I suppose there might be a fit there. But there are a lot of ifs there.

Q: Carriker might be a good player at DT. The key word is might, he is a rookie and has never played a snap in the NFL and we are counting on him to fix next to the worst run defence in the league. We let sam adams get away from us. What are we going to do now, this dline will not do the job this year PERIOD, who are you kidding if you expect us to believe they will. Its time to step up to the plate and get this problem fixed.

Jeff Gordon: The D-Line needs another veteran, for sure. Is that a high-end guy like Jenkins or a back-up? We'll see. But I agree, trading Kennedy wasn't necessarily addition by subtraction. There are lots of unproven players on the depth chart.

Q: I heard a great interview this weekend with Bulger and he seemed pretty upbeat about his contract getting done. Any ideas of what he is looking for at this point in terms of money, length, etc..?

Jeff Gordon: He'll get the going rate for Pro Bowl quarterbacks. What that is -- and how it is structured, to fit the cap - I don't know. But he ought to be in the Top 10 of veteran QBs. Linehan has a good track record of convincing Jay Zygmunt to get his key guys locked in.

Q: i'm highly upset. our dbs sucks. we have two LBs and one D-linemen. we are slow and not strong. this is how I see the rams. what do you think?

Jeff Gordon: I'm looking for a 9-7 finish. If that's good enough for the playoffs, then it's good enough. The secondary is better than you think, but, you're right, the linebackers stil have much to prove. There is more overall strength than a year ago, but perhaps less speed.

Q: What are your thoughts on the amount of money spent on free agency by other teams in the Rams division? What effect it will have on the playoff race this upcoming year?

Jeff Gordon: Hard to say. Same with the draft. To me, it comes down to how well the second- and third-year players progress. Look at the Wrotens and Barrons and Incognitos on this team and how pivotal they are. You can add a price FA or two, but still slip when you previous draft picks fail to make an impact. (Hello, Damione Lewis, Jimmy Kennedy, Ryan Pickett . . .)

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Chat w/ Gordon from Monday 6/11

Jeff Gordon: I was baffled by Kennedy's exit at this point of the offseason. Why not get to training camp to see where the kids really are? And why deal him for a sixth-round pick when you weren't sure what else you could acquire between now and then?
    Congratulations, Gordo, on being the newest member to the club. Right now General Counsel and I are the only two members, but you make three.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    The Jenkins deal has to be in play now. When the club didn't jump at Sam Adams, I figured they were happy with their unit. That obviously wasn't the case.
    Gordon, Thomas, and half of Rams nation feel they have to seriously consider trading for Jenkins now.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Gordon, Thomas, and half of Rams nation feel they have to seriously consider trading for Jenkins now.
    None of which matters, unless the organization itself feels the same way, and there's nothing thus far that shows they do. Quite the contrary actually, since Linehan came out and said amidst trade speculation during draft weekend that nothing had been talked about.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Congratulations, Gordo, on being the newest member to the club. Right now General Counsel and I are the only two members, but you make three.
    There's more than 3 of you in that club.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    None of which matters, unless the organization itself feels the same way, and there's nothing thus far that shows they do. Quite the contrary actually, since Linehan came out and said amidst trade speculation during draft weekend that nothing had been talked about.
    It sure seems as if the Rams have no interest here, but this thing just continues to have a life of it's own. A lot of "league officials" and "insiders" have reported that there is and has been interest, could all of it be merely baseless speculation? The Rams have certainly been cagey and unpredictable the last few months, I'm not sure anything they do would surprise me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It sure seems as if the Rams have no interest here, but this thing just continues to have a life of it's own. A lot of "league officials" and "insiders" have reported that there is and has been interest, could all of it be merely baseless speculation? The Rams have certainly been cagey and unpredictable the last few months, I'm not sure anything they do would surprise me at this point.
    I don't think we've seen many if any reports from "league officials" and "insiders" since the draft, though. It's basically been beat writers speculating that it could happen or and fans not wanting it to die because they want the big name and his [hopefully] big game.

Think about it though. The Rams just culled the herd by getting rid of bad attitudes in Jimmy Kennedy and Jerametrius Butler. What do they gain from a character perspective by bringing in a fat overweight tackle who is demanding more money?

I just don't see anything concrete keeping this story alive.

I just don't see anything concrete keeping this story alive.
    I agree. The Rams have certainly said there have been no discussions and are giving no creedence to what has been writen, but it seems a bit curious to me that stories like the one Jason posted today (Jenkins future still uncertain (Rams info contained in thread)) continue to surface with specific information on what Carolina was demanding and what the Rams were willing to give up. I also recall Barry Waller being very confident that a Jenkins deal would get done before the draft and I just wonder what fueled that confidence.

It's basically just beat writers speculating about big name players, though. Jason's article, for instance, comes from the blog of a sports writer for the Charlotte Observer and as you mentioned, it's referencing the draft, nothing regarding current developments between the teams.

The only thing keeping this alive is the persistence of fans and possibly beat writers in talking about the acquisition of a big name because, frankly, it's a slow news season for pro football. Linehan and Company probably didn't help their cause by stating they may look for a veteran via free agency or the draft, but nothing about Jenkins seems to fit in with what this coaching staff wants their team to look like so I would be surprised if they were quietly referencing him.

I personally think we'd all be better served letting this one stay buried until something actually happens, especially since nothing has even happened on this front for nearly a month and a half now.

It's basically just beat writers speculating about big name players, though. Jason's article, for instance, comes from the blog of a sports writer for the Charlotte Observer and as you mentioned, it's referencing the draft, nothing regarding current developments between the teams.

The only thing keeping this alive is the persistence of fans and possibly beat writers in talking about the acquisition of a big name because, frankly, it's a slow news season for pro football. Linehan and Company probably didn't help their cause by stating they may look for a veteran via free agency or the draft, but nothing about Jenkins seems to fit in with what this coaching staff wants their team to look like so I would be surprised if they were quietly referencing him.

I personally think we'd all be better served letting this one stay buried until something actually happens, especially since nothing has even happened on this front for nearly a month and a half now.
    You make a good point about Jenkins not fitting in with the type of personality the coaching staff is looking for. As far as the story being buried, that will probably be easier said than done.