Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77
  1. #46
    Vooskin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    va
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    I don't think anything but what I know, that you guys lost last season, and all you redskin fans are still bitter. We put the wack on Cambell many times man. I watched that game last season. I had to find a Rams bar to do it, you know how hard it is to find a rams bar in The most bandwagon town in the U.S.? I see more Patriot fans and Steeler fans here than anything else.

    What i saw, was Cambell Being forced out of the pocket many times. Our Defensive scheme was different and we had some crazy blitz's on cambell.

    Turnover's happen in the NFL. If you don't know that, well welcome to football. It's the ability for a team to capitilize on mistakes, that wins games.

    We got 3 turnovers last game. But we got shut out because of inexperience. Our offense hasn't played together once until seattle.

    So i suppose the Ravens Superbowl win was a fluke right? Because all the other teams made mistakes right, that the raven's never played good right?

    You make me laugh.
    I'll leave the turnover issue alone. I'll let you bask in your glory of one of your two wins last season. When you win by things going wrong for the other team even though they clearly look like the superior team all you can say is a win is a win.

    But I agree, and if the tables were shifted I'd be saying the same as you. Would I truly feel my team was better? No, but I wouldnt tell anyone. When wins are sparse you need to get the most that you can out of them.

    While I can't say I know what a 2-14 season is like I can say being 24 years old and not really watching football til about 8 years old I have only seen my skins go to the playoffs 3 times and win two playoffs games. Unlike you guys who have superbowls and victories in the past decade the last superbowl the skins won was in '91 and I was 6 years old. I don't remember anything of the glory years of my team and have only seen at best mediocrity my whole life.


  2. #47
    IBleedBnG83's Avatar
    IBleedBnG83 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    144
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    ok ok ok.. sometimes the best team doesn't win. ex( Patriots beat rams in SB36) (Giants defeat Pats in superbowl 42).. we could do this all day. the team with the most desire to win, usually does win. all that matters is that you are the best team in that givin week.
    Right on.

    So with that said, the Redskins will be the better team THIS week!

  3. #48
    21Forever21's Avatar
    21Forever21 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    DC
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    The Rams definitely took advantage of their opportunities. Glad we don't have Kendall anymore, a smart lineman would have just fell on the ball, and covered it up. I don't know what made him feel that he was Peterson at the time.

  4. #49
    hawaiianpunch's Avatar
    hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBnG83 View Post
    That is hilarious. You are simplying relying on facts!!!

    I bring more content to the table when I see fit. It is in my opinion based on several laid out comments I made why I think Landry is better. Nick was great in getting some strong facts as a rebuttle.

    You will never here or read me rely on facts to support an argument. Thats what Nick did. He used facts to support his argument. Not just 1 is greater than 2 so A is better than B. Thats elementary. I could do that when I was 4
    If that was elementary, then why did nick say OJ was better, because he forced turnovers. He also had a rebuttal about how there stats compared over a span of two years. If stats didn't matter then neither did his comment. Cause that was one of the strongest points in his argument as well as the fact that, your defense is taught to tackle first pat down second then go for passes later.

    Still Im forgetting the fact that in the span of two seasons they have the same amount of tackles according to the stats sheet, but yet OJ still has a greater take away total, including some forced fumbles.

    Don't forget i mention this in the game against The Cardinals, Dallas, and against San Francisco, Atogwe pulled down interceptions in the 4th quarter. I rely on what i see as well, not always whats based on stat. I watch every single game every year, why cause i bleed Gold and Blue.

    Even if Landry is the better athlete. O.J. Has the tip in greater awareness.

    Not because everything i say is elementary.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -09-19-2009 at 01:18 AM.

  5. #50
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,372
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBnG83 View Post
    That was my own misconception.

    Now, I would also venture to say that teams are more willing to throw down field against the Rams considering the lack of talent in the backfield vs. the Redskins.

    I'm not saying Atogwe is not a good player. His numbers ARE better than Landry. Like I pointed out about Nnamdi Asomugha, numbers don't tell the whole story and I feel by watching them that Landry is a superior athlete and has bigger play potential. Bias? Probably. But ask anyone around, they would probably agree.

    By the way, great lookup on the stats. Keep those coming.
    You may be right about teams being more willing to throw down field against the Rams' defense, though I hope we can both acknowledge that teams likely aren't purposely throwing towards either Landry or Atogwe.

    You're also right when you say numbers don't tell the whole story. But I think in this case, they tell a pretty compelling one. In the same number of regular season games over the last two years, Atogwe has amassed as many tackles and as many pass deflections as Landry, but has created fifteen more turnovers. When you consider the latter part of that statement, I really can't agree that Landry has more big play potential when Atogwe has dwarfed him in big plays (ie. turnovers) over the last two years.

    Is Landry the superior athlete? I'd say yes. There's a reason he was selected as high as he was coming out of college, and when you examine what both were able to do in pre-draft workouts, Landry was outstanding. But is Landry the superior player? Well, I think there's a case to be made by both sides of that debate, and I don't necessarily think one has to be biased towards the Rams in order to argue the case for Atogwe. Because as you put it, his numbers are better.

  6. #51
    IBleedBnG83's Avatar
    IBleedBnG83 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    144
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You may be right about teams being more willing to throw down field against the Rams' defense, though I hope we can both acknowledge that teams likely aren't purposely throwing towards either Landry or Atogwe.

    You're also right when you say numbers don't tell the whole story. But I think in this case, they tell a pretty compelling one. In the same number of regular season games over the last two years, Atogwe has amassed as many tackles and as many pass deflections as Landry, but has created fifteen more turnovers. When you consider the latter part of that statement, I really can't agree that Landry has more big play potential when Atogwe has dwarfed him in big plays (ie. turnovers) over the last two years.

    Is Landry the superior athlete? I'd say yes. There's a reason he was selected as high as he was coming out of college, and when you examine what both were able to do in pre-draft workouts, Landry was outstanding. But is Landry the superior player? Well, I think there's a case to be made by both sides of that debate, and I don't necessarily think one has to be biased towards the Rams in order to argue the case for Atogwe. Because as you put it, his numbers are better.
    I should also point out that Landry came in as a SS while Sean Taylor was playing FS. As you know, SS plays in the box and closer to the line. So you are talking about essentially two different positions between 2 years. But in his rookie season, when the 'Skins went to the playoffs, he came up with 2 picks in one game. On film, he is great. He has made some HUGE tackles and pass deflections on KEY downs. I love what I see.

  7. #52
    Vooskin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    va
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You may be right about teams being more willing to throw down field against the Rams' defense, though I hope we can both acknowledge that teams likely aren't purposely throwing towards either Landry or Atogwe.

    You're also right when you say numbers don't tell the whole story. But I think in this case, they tell a pretty compelling one. In the same number of regular season games over the last two years, Atogwe has amassed as many tackles and as many pass deflections as Landry, but has created fifteen more turnovers. When you consider the latter part of that statement, I really can't agree that Landry has more big play potential when Atogwe has dwarfed him in big plays (ie. turnovers) over the last two years.

    Is Landry the superior athlete? I'd say yes. There's a reason he was selected as high as he was coming out of college, and when you examine what both were able to do in pre-draft workouts, Landry was outstanding. But is Landry the superior player? Well, I think there's a case to be made by both sides of that debate, and I don't necessarily think one has to be biased towards the Rams in order to argue the case for Atogwe. Because as you put it, his numbers are better.
    Nick I wont argue about Landry one bit. I believe Landry is a good safety and even though hes probably not used to the best of his ability I still think he has developing to do. I also believe he doesnt get near as many chances as atogwe but I DONT WATCH RAMS FOOTBALL. So I have no basis to even say what I just did. I can name the starting lineup for most teams but could name only a hand full of guys on the entire rams squad.

    The only time I pay attention to the rams is in fantasy football and making sure I start whoever is playing against them. I def have the skins defense starting this week but I cannot make up my mind on Moss, Luckily I take the best talent on the board and I still have Reggiewayne, Ochocinco, Desean Jackson, and Devin Hester at WR to rely on.

    So do you think Moss has a chance at a big game this weekend? Seeing as how I know jack about the rams secondary.


    That said I have Season Tickets, not great seats but still I have tickets and never got around to selling the rams skins tickets. Im looking to dump them off cheap if I could cause no one wants them or plans on going to the game. I only go to a few games a year and I have two tickets for monday night games against the giants and the eagles and sunday night against the cowboys, all home games for the skins.

    Anyone in the va beach area want interested in tickets? 44 bucks face value, have 2, upperdeck 442
    Last edited by Nick; -09-19-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Editing out profanity

  8. #53
    hawaiianpunch's Avatar
    hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by Vooskin View Post
    I'll leave the turnover issue alone. I'll let you bask in your glory of one of your two wins last season. When you win by things going wrong for the other team even though they clearly look like the superior team all you can say is a win is a win.

    But I agree, and if the tables were shifted I'd be saying the same as you. Would I truly feel my team was better? No, but I wouldnt tell anyone. When wins are sparse you need to get the most that you can out of them.

    While I can't say I know what a 2-14 season is like I can say being 24 years old and not really watching football til about 8 years old I have only seen my skins go to the playoffs 3 times and win two playoffs games. Unlike you guys who have superbowls and victories in the past decade the last superbowl the skins won was in '91 and I was 6 years old. I don't remember anything of the glory years of my team and have only seen at best mediocrity my whole life.
    Yes. Im pretty sure the rams weren't the better team last season. But during that game they capitalized i never said the rams were better. My opinion's may never be the right one. But i love the rams. I am a little biased.

    But when you put that aside, look that the rams had a new headcoach during the middle of the season, +17 people missing or injured, 6 losses under our belts. wouldn't you say that a win against a team with clinton portis, is one hell of an Accomplisment? Any win for any team with that record?

    And i didn't like that muff at the end of the Bills game as much as any of you. But at the end of the Day what goes up on the team's record? Not what could have been but what had happened. That bounce up in the bengals game and stokley scores? It doesn't matter. Yea bengals were a better team in my opinion, but they didn't win.

    In the end i was really making an argument for O.J. He works his butt off every week, and for someone who is miss informed to come in and tell me what i don't know about my player is baffling.

    All im saying is, any team in the NFL can beat any team, on any given Sunday.

    But good luck to your skins, it should be one hell of a ride.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -09-19-2009 at 01:41 AM.

  9. #54
    hawaiianpunch's Avatar
    hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    396
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    lol sorry Redskins.

  10. #55
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,372
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBnG83 View Post
    I should also point out that Landry came in as a SS while Sean Taylor was playing FS. As you know, SS plays in the box and closer to the line. So you are talking about essentially two different positions between 2 years. But in his rookie season, when the 'Skins went to the playoffs, he came up with 2 picks in one game. On film, he is great. He has made some HUGE tackles and pass deflections on KEY downs. I love what I see.
    Okay, a few things here...

    1) As you pointed out, Sean Taylor was part of the Redskins secondary in 2007. Which means for the nine games that Taylor played in 2007, defenses were likely more focused on throwing away from the 2006 Pro Bowler than they were throwing away from the rookie Landry. And in those nine games, Taylor came up with five picks and one forced fumble. So it's not as if there weren't plays to be made in the Redskins secondary, or that good safeties can't find ways to create turnovers.

    2) Yes, FS and SS are two different positions. But Landry @ SS and Atogwe @ FS still amassed the same number of tackles over a two year span. And again, Atogwe has superior production in terms of forced fumbles. Close to the line or far from the line, Atogwe appears to be more efficient at ripping the ball out from the ball-carrier.

    3) Yep, I believe Vooskin mentioned the playoff game as well. Even when you factor in that game, Atogwe is +13 in interceptions over the last two years (as opposed to +15 over the regular seasons). But wouldn't factoring in that game mean Landry has had an entire game's worth of opportunities more than Atogwe has over that span?

    Again, I think they're both very talented, young players. My point has simply been that it's possible to argue in favor of Atogwe over Landry without it being based on bias towards the Rams.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vooskin View Post
    So do you think Moss has a chance at a big game this weekend? Seeing as how I know jack about the rams secondary.
    Sad as it is to say, a part of me hopes he does because I believe I have him in my RB/WR/TE in one of my leagues.

    But that being said, it's hard to say what Moss will be able to accomplish against the Rams. He'll likely be lining up across from Ron Bartell, who really had a very good year at cornerback last season and was rewarded with a new contract. Seattle's top receiver (T.J. Houshmanjzadeh) was held to 48 yards on six receptions in Week One, though I can't say for certain how often Bartell was covering him. Last year, Moss had only two receptions for 22 yards against the Rams, and it doesn't look like he's off to a very productive start this season.

    I anticipate Cooley having another productive day against the Rams. For years now, the Rams have simply not been very good at covering tight ends. Cooley is one of the top 5-10 in the league, so I anticipate he'll give the Rams some trouble. Randle El was productive last year against St. Louis, and it looks like he pulled in some catches in your opener last weekend. How he matches up with Jonathan Wade is going to be interesting. Wade is a fast player who has the speed to hang with most receivers; if he's matched up man to man on Randle El, that's going to be a fun battle to watch. Wade saw some action in last year's Washington game, so he won't be coming in completely blind to the opposition.

  11. #56
    Vooskin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    va
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    True, but we still had more of a pass rush than they did last season. Maybe Haynesworth changes all of that, but the Redskins haven't had a lot of luck historically when they've thrown money at their problems.


    I wasn't really meaning to imply that we were better at linebacker than they are, just that there's not so much reason to think that they would dominate on both sides of the ball. Generally, I look at the Redskins' front seven and offensive line, and I see a lot of players who are either past their prime or who are not there yet.
    "just that there's not so much reason to think that they would dominate on both sides of the ball."
    But we dominated on both sides of the ball against you last year? Sure we had turnovers the cost us the game but beyond those you guys did nothing to stop us from marching up and down the field nor could you guys move the ball against us.

    Well considering the skins finished the season #4th overall in yards and i think 6th or 8th in points on defense while the rams finished 28th I wouldnt argue too much about defense. The fact you guys only put up 200 yards against us last year and the fact the skins allowed 288 yards a game average versus the 372 of the rams. And the fact the skins only allowed an average of 18.5 points a game while the rams allowed 29.1.

    Yah maybe you guys had more sacks, just like atogwe has more big plays. But do not underestimate our players. Our guys are disciplined and play in the system is all about making an offense work for it and getting punished in the process.

    Again the skins were at the bottom of the league in sacks and turnovers yet still finished 4th overall? HMM.. maybe there is more to the game then those two stats considering the rams had us beat yet finished at the bottom in defense in yards and points.

    Also remember we play the cowboys, giants and eagles twice a year, we also played new orleans, arizona two other big offenses that we shutdown. The rams play west opponents 6 times a year and while they will all be improved this year they are stil the nfc west.

    Id say #4 overall isnt bad considering the offenses we face.

    And for our offense, we may not be great but please believe that we arent terrible. We got handled by the giants but the giants Dline is like no other in the league. Part of the reason the skins offense isnt so great is because every single team in the NFC east was in the top 10 in defense last season not to mention we played the steelers and ravens last season.
    Last edited by Vooskin; -09-19-2009 at 03:01 AM.

  12. #57
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by Vooskin View Post
    "just that there's not so much reason to think that they would dominate on both sides of the ball."
    But we dominated on both sides of the ball against you last year? Sure we had turnovers the cost us the game but beyond those you guys did nothing to stop us from marching up and down the field nor could you guys move the ball against us.

    Well considering the skins finished the season #4th overall in yards and i think 6th or 8th in points on defense while the rams finished 28th I wouldnt argue too much about defense. The fact you guys only put up 200 yards against us last year and the fact the skins allowed 288 yards a game average versus the 372 of the rams. And the fact the skins only allowed an average of 18.5 points a game while the rams allowed 29.1.

    Yah maybe you guys had more sacks, just like atogwe has more big plays. But do not underestimate our players. Our guys are disciplined and play in the system is all about making an offense work for it and getting punished in the process.

    Again the skins were at the bottom of the league in sacks and turnovers yet still finished 4th overall? HMM.. maybe there is more to the game then those two stats considering the rams had us beat yet finished at the bottom in defense in yards and points.

    Also remember we play the cowboys, giants and eagles twice a year, we also played new orleans, arizona two other big offenses that we shutdown. The rams play west opponents 6 times a year and while they will all be improved this year they are stil the nfc west.

    Id say #4 overall isnt bad considering the offenses we face.

    And for our offense, we may not be great but please believe that we arent terrible. We got handled by the giants but the giants Dline is like no other in the league. Part of the reason the skins offense isnt so great is because every single team in the NFC east was in the top 10 in defense last season not to mention we played the steelers and ravens last season.
    With all due respect, I was at that game last year, and I didn't see either team particularly dominating. The Redskins' first score of that game came off a Rams fumble that was practically on their own goal line. Every other Redskins possession for the entire first 3 quarters ended in either a punt or a fumble. Is that what you call a dominating offense? The Rams didn't exactly dominate, either, considering we were unable to score an offensive touchdown, but the team did just enough to win. I'd expect a similarly close game this year.

  13. #58
    Vooskin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    va
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    I'd say 368 yards to the rams 200, 50 of it coming on one play at the end of the game is fairly dominated. 150 yards of offense in 59 mins of the game is dominated.

    Was 7 to 3 and the skins were in the redzone and the way things were going I remember pretty confident they were going to score and make it 14 to 3 at half. Fluke turnover where if the lineman does anything but catch it it doesnt happen. That guard is no longer with us and instead of being 14 to 3 or at worse 10 to 3 at half it ended up being 10 to 7 rams. 3rd quarter we drive multiple times, cooley fumbling on a play in the redzone again, and either a center to qb exchange mishap or maybe i think it was a shotgun play and the center snapped it over his head and rams recovered? Not sure about that one.

    Skins did not have turnover problems last season cept for that game and the steelers game I can remember off the top of my head. I remember the steelers earning them, the rams were fortunate.

    Finally 4th quarter rolls around and the skins finally get a drive that doesnt result in a fumble. Of course we all know what happened, 3rd and 13, stopped like all the rest of the game and for some reason I don't remember, we had our 4th CB at the time (isnt even on the team anymore) covering Donnie Avery. I laughed when i saw that play not because I was embarrassed but because Torrence was right ontop of him (now your #1 as far as I know) in coverage but didnt look at the ball. Any of our other cbs and it would have been a pick.

    Anyways It's all speculation, and im pretty good at admitting when the skins are dominated. Like against the giants last weekend even though the final score was 17-23 they shutdown our offense. Our defense played well except for shoddy tackling by our secondary which resulted in the Giants LONE offensive touchdown. A 3rd and 9, wr screen. Smoot reads it immediately to make the tackle behind the line of scrimmage to make the giants go three and out but misses the tackle! Manningham runs down the sideline and hall is there to knock him out but mario stops short and hall whiffs.

    But the season is early and our secondary is usually very good at tackling. I expect them to get that fixed. OK ben fun chatting, time for sleep. If I'm not here to respond tomorrow I wish us all a good game on sunday. I hope the skins dominate the rams because a close game would not make anyone in washington feel good. We constantly compete with a division where everyone has the talent to make the playoffs and anything but a blowout and the skins will get no respect. I wish for both our teams to get out healthy though thats for sure.

    I'll keep my eye on this Atogwe fella to see if he's any good =) If he is I'll be sure to mention his name from time to time and maybe even vote him for the probowl. Here's to an injury free butt whooping on sunday.
    Last edited by Vooskin; -09-19-2009 at 05:11 AM.

  14. #59
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,358
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    I've no idea who is better between Landry and Atogwe. Both are good although based on last week's performance-just watched the NYG game on Rewind-, I'd say OJ is looking sharper and more disciplined.

    They both had the second highest number of tackles on the team with 8,I believe, but that doesn't tell the half of it. Atogwe was everywhere. And in tandem with the savvy and disciplined Butler, I think we match up well there. Big change from last year for both pass and run D.

    Landry had some dubious mental errors/discipline issues vs NYG(late hit out of bounds & Cogged Jacobs (where's the flag,Zebs?!) as well as some good hits & gifting Hall with the pick.

    There were a couple of occasions where the NYG WRs got behind him. Manning didn't always take advantage but the chances were there.We have even better speed this year at WR with the addition of Robinson but who knows if Bulger will have time & get it there.

    Gotta give credit to the Skins DL for pressure here & there vs NY; I thought Carter looked esp good at times.Should be an interesting match-up between Carter & Barron.

    Cooley's a beast,of course, and we had major problems with the Hags TE.You could actually say that the long TD run by Jones-half his total yards- and two long receptions by Carlson, one for a TD, made a tightly fought game look like a rout.

    Our offense cracked early & often under the pressure of a deafeningly hostile crowd & great front 7 play-esp their LBs. I know FedEx isn't an easy place to play,either, but I doubt it will be as much of a factor nor, despite the amazing London, are the Wash LBs as versatile,imo.Someone needs to watch Horton on the blitz,though.

    I'd like to see some hurry-up from the Rams early on as well as copying NY's plan of alternating hits up the gut with outside running plays. Barring another catastrophic breakdown vs the run, I think our D can keep it close enough for the dividends later.

    As always, it will come down to the trenches.Both teams look worse on the stat sheet than they actually played,imo. The Rams had a shockingly bad day rushing the passer and The Skins definitely wore down in the second half; if they could have got the Giants off the field on one of those long field goal-ended drives, I think they might have made a game of it.

    But NY not only ran effectively with Bradshaw later on (Gado or Darby for The Rams?) but owned the underneath passing game to him as well. I'm sure The Rams took note . I sure as heck hope they saw how NY pounded away early even though there wasn't much there & it was a part of the reason the Skins stayed close in the first half. Otherwise they were totally dominated but in a slow strangulated kind of way; 20 mins TOP for NY but only 17 points .An old school trick play on a kicker scramble TD was the best offensive Skins play until the late Cooley TD. And didn't the best run for The Skins come on a bad snap fumbled by Campbell? I think that led to a FG.

    I think Campbell played a poor game mentally .The Osi strip/TD was embarrassingly poor pocket presence & if he really did check into a run play on 3rd & 8 as Aikman commented....and after a timeout,to boot. Accuracy wasn't a strength ,either. Then again, it was under the pressure of the freakin' Giants DL. I don't think it's likely we can apply that kind of heat without taking more risks with blitzes.

    I don't know what to expect from our pass rush. Little & Hall both disappeared after taking IVs so the whole "wear em down" thing cuts both ways.

    I don't think Campbell sees things nearly as well as Hasselbeck so I think it's more a matter of containing him so he can't use his legs outside. Sometimes he seems worse when he has time to think. If you think that's a polite way of saying he's dumber than a bag of hammers...um...

    Bulger, on the other hand, is probably better off with taking his drop and making a quick decision. He CAN throw very well on the run to his right but it only works as a change-up. There are people here who will claim that he can't at all but if I had a dime for every pass Holt and Bruce caught from him while doing it...-prob a third of Holt's catches last year came on controlled rollouts to the right.

    The fact that it didn't work last week very much is an example of how well-prepped The Hags were,not a lack of aptitude,imo. Once again, depends on the Big Uglies giving Bulger time.There's a lot riding on Cogs , Brown, and Bell.

    And if SJ gets smushed in blitz pick-up again, I'm gonna buy his action figure & shave its head. Dunno if he even has one,actually, but you get the point.


    All in all, I thought our opening performances were kind of similar. It's really hard to say ,with all the terrible mistakes and weird strategy -Jackson gets 18 touches-tied for 3rd least in the league,I believe- how good The Hags really are but I think Wash handled their adversity on the road better overall against what is obviously one of the better teams in the NFL.

    But certainly they needed every bit that they got from fat Albert and London and were let off the hook by Eli and his green WRs on some plays.

    The Rams played the run better & kept at it until the end. That one big play can't happen again if we are to have a chance.Portis is always a threat but I hope they keep running him outside like they did vs NY. I doubt it but I hope.
    If nothing else, our young LBs are fast & tackle well.

    I do know that the more DeAngelo Hall plays, the better.I think he's going to make one of our receivers look good at some point.And I'd love to see him 1on1 with SJ. Guy totally bailed on a Jacobs tackle, got penalized on STs, and whiffed on that toe dance down the sideline by Manningham. Just about the only smart move the Raiders FO has made in the last decade was ditching him.Is Smoot fast enough to cover any the teen squad?

    The intestinal fortitude which helped us stay in last year's game; remember SJ's early fumble-was very much in evidence vs The Hags. We were outplayed by The Skins -no matter what my homer heart might want to claim- yet hung tough & capitalized on mistakes.

    It WAS a steal of a win. Probably will have to be this time as well with this young group but more along the lines of shoplifting than daylight bank robbery.LOL.

    That never quit attitude is bolstered by the same playmakers ; Avery,OJ, SJ, and ,yes, Bulger. He made several key throws on that last drive,not just the bomb to Donnie.

    And many of the weaknesses are gone;Leckey replaced by Brown (imagine Leckey lined up in front of Albert. I bet he's taken bigger dumps), Kreider replaced by Karney,Chavous & Glover nixed, Holt replaced by Robinson,TE Randy is healthy and all our CBs are healthy-both of last year's starters Hill & Brown were out.Neither were much good,anyway, & our new guys are an unknown quantity except for Bartell but at least they are Spags' first choices.

    An important game for both teams but I think a loss by The Skins would be worse. We still have the underdog status. The pressure's on them,methinks. All the Rams really have to do is play respectably to get some momentum. I wonder how patient Schneider(sp?) will be with Zorn,though, if he loses.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-19-2009 at 05:29 AM.

  15. #60
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Chatter in the DC area

    Quote Originally Posted by Vooskin View Post
    I'd say 368 yards to the rams 200, 50 of it coming on one play at the end of the game is fairly dominated. 150 yards of offense in 59 mins of the game is dominated.

    Was 7 to 3 and the skins were in the redzone and the way things were going I remember pretty confident they were going to score and make it 14 to 3 at half. Fluke turnover where if the lineman does anything but catch it it doesnt happen. That guard is no longer with us and instead of being 14 to 3 or at worse 10 to 3 at half it ended up being 10 to 7 rams. 3rd quarter we drive multiple times, cooley fumbling on a play in the redzone again, and either a center to qb exchange mishap or maybe i think it was a shotgun play and the center snapped it over his head and rams recovered? Not sure about that one.
    As I recall, there were less than ten seconds on the clock at that point. If there was no fumble, the Redskins would have had enough time for a field goal attempt. Of course, if the Rams hadn't fumbled earlier, then the Redskins would not have scored at all at that point. Let's pretend that neither Pete Kendall's fumble, nor the Rams' fumble at the 3 had occurred. Rams lead 7-3 at the half. We could play this "What If?" game all day, but I think the bottom line is that when a team can't score, it's safe to say that their offense is struggling.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rams plan for training camp in St. Louis area
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-27-2007, 04:45 AM
  3. watching super bowl in DC area...
    By PaddyRam in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -02-04-2006, 08:23 PM
  4. Rams Give Area Kids Reason to Dream
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -06-14-2005, 08:38 PM
  5. new ClanRam Chatter Room
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -07-15-2004, 09:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •