RamWraith is offline Registered User

Chavous is willing to take risk to play again

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/21/2007

Marc Bulger isn’t the only Rams player eager to get back on the field after a two-week absence. Like Bulger, strong safety Corey Chavous has been sidelined since the Dallas game Sept. 30.

Chavous suffered a partially torn pectoral muscle against the Cowboys. As with Bulger’s rib injury, Chavous’ ailment probably won’t fully heal until after the season.

“It was just one of those freak things,” Chavous said. “Talking to some of the doctors, they think a helmet actually hit me on the spot. ... I’m not real sure.”

After a full week of practice, Chavous is expected to play Sunday in Seattle.

“The training staff’s done a good job,” Chavous said. “We’ve come a long way in the healing process, and also the strength and conditioning coaches have really speeded it up.”
    Nonetheless, there is a risk that Chavous could aggravate the injury by playing so soon, which could result in a complete tear of the muscle. It's a risk Chavous apparently is willing to take.

“Guys have played with it before,” Chavous said. “And I’ve talked to some of the guys that have had the injury as well. So that’s helped me a lot with my decision-making and the pace at which I’m trying to get back out on the field.”
    Advertisement

Looker, too

Fair-skinned to begin with, wide receiver Dane Looker still looks a couple of quarts low.

“Thank you for noticing,” Looker said.

Perhaps a trip to the tanning booth would help his pale face. “It won’t help me,” he said.

A bizarre thigh injury against Dallas caused Looker to lose much of his blood supply. “It was just a deal where the skin and my muscle separated, causing a pocket,” he said. “And when the blood vessel ruptured, the blood just drained into the pocket.”

Looker received two blood transfusions from his family to help speed his recovery. “I got two units,” Looker said. “A unit’s about a pint, and I lost four units into my leg. My level’s up pretty good. It’s a little shy of where I want it to be.”

That didn’t prevent Looker from practicing this week, much to the surprise of the coaching staff. He wasn’t even listed on the depth chart, a good indication that no one expected him to practice. Looker was moving pretty well by the end of the week and is listed as questionable for Seattle, which his hometown.

Bennett’s blues

Wide receiver Drew Bennett could’ve been a hero on two occasions against Baltimore. Instead, he suffered a hamstring injury that has him listed as questionable for Seattle.

In the second quarter in Baltimore, Bennett was wide open on a deep route, but quarterback Gus Frerotte underthrew what looked like a sure touchdown pass, resulting in an interception. Later in the quarter, Bennett was open in the end zone on a post route, but Frerotte was sacked. (The play was nullified anyway because of a penalty on Alex Barron.)

Bennett, who has battled a nagging quad injury much of the season, suffered the hamstring injury in his other leg running the post route.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Chavous is willing to take risk to play again

Good to hear about the other two walking wounded. Especially Looker. He's the man if he plays again this season, I'm sorry for suggesting that we drop him during the preseason.