Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Chiefs fans make some noise

Chiefs fans make some noise
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 12:25 am

Unlike the last time these teams met in St. Louis, the Rams' offense didn't have to resort to a silent snap count. Even so, it was difficult at times for players to hear quarterback Sam Bradford at the line of scrimmage.

That's because thousands of Kansas City Chiefs fans once again made themselves at home in the Edward Jones Dome. They were noisy. Was it a factor?

"A little bit," left tackle Rodger Saffold said. "But I think all in all, we just needed to continue focusing. Sam was screaming a little bit louder, making sure that we heard the cadence."

In 13 previous games this season, the Rams had committed a modest 22 false start penalties. But they had five Sunday, four of which were on the offense. (A fifth came in punt formation.)

Two false start penalties in the red zone, where crowd noise can have its greatest impact, helped scuttle the Rams' opening drive. Those penalties turned a third-and-1 situation into a third-and-11 predicament. And when tight end Daniel Fells couldn't hang on to a Bradford pass on third-and-11, the Rams settled for a field goal by Josh Brown.

"For a home game, it was a little harder to hear," Bradford said. "But we have to do better. There's no reason for that. I've got to be louder. We've got to be more in tune to the snap count. Five false starts are really inexcusable."

Most distressing to Rams officials was the fact that the lower bowl of the stadium which is almost exclusively the domain of season-ticket holders was littered with Chiefs fans. That was particularly the case between the 40-yard lines, where there were basically as many Chiefs fans as Rams fans. What that meant is that lots of Rams fans sold their tickets to Chiefs fans for this game.

Advantage, Chiefs

The Chiefs are 5-0 against the Rams in the regular season since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995, outscoring St. Louis by a 2-to-1 margin (189-94). Three of those Kansas City victories have come in the dome, with probably 10,000-plus Chiefs fans in attendance each time.

Miller out

The Rams lost fullback Brit Miller for the season with what the team believes is a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Miller suffered the injury running down a punt with 7 minutes to play in the third quarter. He left the stadium on crutches..

"He had done a good job for us," coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

Since being promoted from the practice squad before Game 6 (San Diego), Miller had been one of the Rams' top special teams players. He entered Sunday's game with 14 special teams tackles, second only to Chris Chamberlain's 15 on the team. Miller also had taken over the fullback job the last four games from veteran Mike Karney.

Karney was on the pregame inactive list for the fourth week in a row Sunday but will probably return to action this week against San Francisco because of Miller's injury.

Sitting it out

Besides Karney, the Rams' other inactives were: RB Kenneth Darby (ribs), WR Mardy Gilyard, OG John Greco, TE Michael Hoomanawanui (ankle), CB Justin King, S Michael Lewis and LB David Nixon (hand).

Attempting to load up against the Kansas City running game, the Rams had all nine defensive linemen active Sunday. Defensive tackles Darell Scott and Jermelle Cudjo both were active for the first time since the Nov. 14 game against San Francisco.

Best in the West

Sunday's 27-13 victory over the Rams gave Kansas City (9-5) a sweep of its four games this season against the NFC West. The 14-point victory over the Rams actually was the "closest" game of the four. The Chiefs beat San Francisco 31-10, Arizona 31-13 and Seattle 42-24.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Chiefs fans make some noise

Most distressing to Rams officials was the fact that the lower bowl of the stadium which is almost exclusively the domain of season-ticket holders was littered with Chiefs fans. That was particularly the case between the 40-yard lines, where there were basically as many Chiefs fans as Rams fans. What that meant is that lots of Rams fans sold their tickets to Chiefs fans for this game.
    I love Missouri. I love St. Louis. But that is really embarassing.

I respect their freedom to sell their tickets, but I'm ashamed they would want to.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

It's been covered already, and my anger at the previous post in this regard is, I think, quite clear, but I'll say it again:

This isn't Rams Fans, this is PSL holders and people need to understand how that situation works here. The Dome is basically run by the PSL.

But if people would like to keep calling me a terrible fan for living in or near St.Louis I can't seem to stop them.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I love Missouri. I love St. Louis. But that is really embarassing.

I respect their freedom to sell their tickets, but I'm ashamed they would want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Browkenwing
    This isn't Rams Fans, this is PSL holders and people need to understand how that situation works here. The Dome is basically run by the PSL.
    Wing, you're right. I certainly did not intend to lump all St. Louis folks in together. I get your point and it's a valid one.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Thank you, I'm glad someone gets it.

rampower is offline Registered User

As I posted on the other thread, it's not rams fans that's the problem. It's the not rams fans money makers. The people who are not you broken wing, they know who they are, and I doubt they frequent fan forums when the team has a losing record. So don't take it personally, as you/we are not the problem. The fact there is not more of us fans in the st louis area is.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Thank you, I'm glad someone gets it.
    Get it, I've lived it for 36 years!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I for one was so loud i KNOW people on the field could hear some of what i was yelling. It was pretty back and forth in the Dome with crowd noise. Every time we got anything as far as a first down and especially the td the noise exploded in the Dome. The Rams just didn't give Rams fans anything to cheer about for the majority of the game while KC had plenty to cheer about and hence the result. At the end of the game there was nothing but KC in the Dome.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I for one was so loud i KNOW people on the field could hear some of what i was yelling. It was pretty back and forth in the Dome with crowd noise. Every time we got anything as far as a first down and especially the td the noise exploded in the Dome. The Rams just didn't give Rams fans anything to cheer about for the majority of the game while KC had plenty to cheer about and hence the result. At the end of the game there was nothing but KC in the Dome.
    Great job yesterday. i know you know any frustration from yesterday lack of fan representation is not aimed at the folks that were there cheering loudly.