Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By berg8309
  • 1 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By berg8309
  • 2 Post By Curly Horns

Thread: Chiefs @ Rams - Week 2: What's going to happen.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Chiefs @ Rams - Week 2: What's going to happen.

Game Time: 8/18/2012 7:00 PM, Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis

After the blowout the Rams got in Indy, this week's game is going to be another one of those where we're going to end up with two groups of fans: The fans who realize this is just a preseason game, a test for the players to be evaluated on their skills and talents; and then we will have those who will think this is the most important game in the Ram's history.

Coach Fisher already stated that the Rams will remain conservative again this week. This is a VERY telling statement: for the fans who thought the Rams loss to Indy was an omen for the entire season, this tells them that Fisher intended for the Rams to keep things simple - even in the face of some not-so-simple plays called by the Colts. It tells the fans that he isn't ready to name a 53-man roster yet, that the players still have a chance to win a position on that list. It also says that we shouldn't expect to see the guys out there dominating KC for four quarters.

Most importantly, it says that Fisher wants to make sure that the names on that final roster belong to the 53 best players we have. Considering the youth of this team, this means Fisher has to be sure that every one of them has the basics down to instinct. Last week we saw Isiah Pead make quite a few "bonehead" mistakes - some of them due to inexperience, some due to having a wild hair stuck somewhere. Eventually, he settled down. This week, he won't be quite so excited, so he shouldn't be making the mental and execution errors he did last Sunday.

That's what the preseason is for - to get the gun-shy and trigger-happy players to calm down and learn the job they get paid to do...and if they do it well, they have the chance to stay around for the season and EARN those horns. If not, we cut them - or trade them to Washington for an astronomical amount, or trade them to Dallas and let them mess up Romo's hopes.

Now for a look at this weeks matchup:

The Chiefs are going to come into this game with confidence, since they beat Arizona last week. What they probably don't realize is that beating Arizona in the shape they are in is like beating the team from the Pauly Shore School for Asthmatic Dweebs. The Rams, meanwhile, are coming into this game without any serious injuries, and even after the loss to the Colts, they are likely to approach this matchup with more confidence than they should.

First, let me start off with the Rams offense:

Sam Bradford was in for 19 plays last week. Expect him to be in for at least 3 or 4 series this week. He went 7/9 for 57 yards, and had a more confident look to him during the game than he did during the entire 2011 season. I'd expect more of the same this week - IF the o-line can keep the KC pass rush contained. Last week, KC had seven sacks by seven different players against 'Zona. Of course, I think Avenger Ram could get through the 'Zona o-line by himself. If Sam gets hit more than once or twice, expect Fisher to put in Clemmens or Davis. Watch for Pead to have more touches this week - AND be settled down with his head in the game. The passing game is going to be short, since KC likes to rush the QB, and the ground game will carry most of the load this week.

Defense:

The Chiefs ran over everything that Arizona put out in front of them. They are going to test the Ram's secondary at every opportunity. This will be a great test for our guys - Cassell isn't as good of a QB as he thinks he is, and has been known to throw a few INT's in his career. Chances are, we should see Jenkins or Finnegan run one back after they grab it away from the Chief's WR's. Our LB's will be tested a few times, too. KC knows our weaknesses and will try their best to exploit them. Expect Hillis and Draughn to test our run defense early and often.

Prediction: I see the Rams losing this game, but that is fine. Fisher stated he wants to keep things conservative. This isn't about a win or a loss, it's about player evaluation. It's about the rookies having the chance to show the coaches the talents they have. It's about getting the team coherent and ready to play the first game that really matters.

Rams 17
    Chiefs 28
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -08-17-2012 at 02:23 PM.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: Chiefs @ Rams - Week 2: What's going to happen.

How does being vanilla sort out the best 53? You're essentially ruining players confidence, and we can't even tell how players are grasping the playbook and making coverages and reads. To me its worse that we're not running anything. All these guys have to do is go out there and follow 1 guy or do 1 easy assignment. How is anyone going to seperate themselves from anyone else?

Put some more complex things in there. Let these guys prove their worth. Knowledge and the mental aspect are more important than the physical aspect of this game. Essentially what we are grading right now is almost 100% physical.

THE DREAM TEAM

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Sosa, let me ask you this:

When you learned to drive, what did you learn first? How to handle the side streets at 30 MPH, turn, park, backup, and stop; or did you learn how to drive on the freeway at rush hour at 80 MPH, driving on ice, and how to pass a semi on a 2-lane road safely?

Same thing with the Ram's rookies - once they know they can drive the side streets safely, it's not so scary to be driving alongside an 80,000 pound 18-wheeler at 80 MPH in the dark.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

While the final score and action involving borderline guys don't mean very much, I think it is important that guys projected as starters/significant contributors look sharp in their limited action. Crisp routes. Accurate throws. Good blocking up front. A good pass rush. Good coverages- All the elements one looks for when watching a regular season football game. I don't think it's asking too much when fans expect to see this. And it will certainly go a long way towards more positive comments on the forum.
    Curly Horns, Rambos and r8rh8rmike like this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Sosa, let me ask you this:

When you learned to drive, what did you learn first? How to handle the side streets at 30 MPH, turn, park, backup, and stop; or did you learn how to drive on the freeway at rush hour at 80 MPH, driving on ice, and how to pass a semi on a 2-lane road safely?

Same thing with the Ram's rookies - once they know they can drive the side streets safely, it's not so scary to be driving alongside an 80,000 pound 18-wheeler at 80 MPH in the dark.
    You're right. I figure, who am I to question Jeff Fisher's way's anyway? He's had a job in this league for 17 years for a reason. I just thought it was a weird approach. Then again, the Packers run the same approach and got stomped on by the Browns last night 35-10.

THE DREAM TEAM

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    How does being vanilla sort out the best 53? You're essentially ruining players confidence, and we can't even tell how players are grasping the playbook and making coverages and reads. To me its worse that we're not running anything. All these guys have to do is go out there and follow 1 guy or do 1 easy assignment. How is anyone going to seperate themselves from anyone else?

Put some more complex things in there. Let these guys prove their worth. Knowledge and the mental aspect are more important than the physical aspect of this game. Essentially what we are grading right now is almost 100% physical.
    I know you already responded to this, so I won't harp on it much. Most of Fisher's starters have been decided. Now what he needs to decide is order on the depth chart, and what guys on the bubble will make it, which means who can contribute on special team AND add depth. He's looking for basic execution and ability, but most of the guys who will play a majority of the game won't play a majority of the season. There is no need to reveal your playbook in week 2 and give opponents extra game film on you when all you need to do is evaluate how your players do in an actual game situation (i.e. actually trying to tackle someone). There just isn't a need to use the full playbook right now.
    Rammed likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    While the final score and action involving borderline guys don't mean very much, I think it is important that guys projected as starters/significant contributors look sharp in their limited action. Crisp routes. Accurate throws. Good blocking up front. A good pass rush. Good coverages- All the elements one looks for when watching a regular season football game. I don't think it's asking too much when fans expect to see this. And it will certainly go a long way towards more positive comments on the forum.
    This is the way I see it as well. I could care less what the score is, but I want to see guys, mainly starters and veterans, look like they know what they're doing and execute. Like NJ, I don't think that's too much to ask.
    Curly Horns likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This is the way I see it as well. I could care less what the score is, but I want to see guys, mainly starters and veterans, look like they know what they're doing and execute. Like NJ, I don't think that's too much to ask.
    Definitely better execution. Even with a vanilla playbook, you can make plays and not get blown out. Mostly, the backups need to show why they should be kept around this coming week. Week 3 is where the starters get their major tune-up.
    Curly Horns likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm looking to see the Rams defense play much better... we could not get off the field on third downs. False starts, delay of game penalties have nothing to do with vanilla game plan.

Also looking for a higher energy from the team, this is Fishers home game debut, would be nice to see some excitement form them.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm looking to see the Rams defense play much better... we could not get off the field on third downs. False starts, delay of game penalties have nothing to do with vanilla game plan.

Also looking for a higher energy from the team, this is Fishers home game debut, would be nice to see some excitement form them.
    Interesting!

I don't know why it would matter to ya?

It's just practice.
    Rambos and r8rh8rmike like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Interesting!

It's just practice.
    Everybody's a comedian.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I just want to see some improvement in their starters. I want to see better fundamentals, better blocking for Sam and more energy. I expect we will see that, since it's at home. ...and I don't care if they win or lose.

What I don't want to see is another lackluster performance, poor blocking, poor tackling, and poor coverage in the middle of the field.

And lastly, I want to see a healthy team finish the game.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Interesting!

It's just practice.
    Oh it matters... it just does count.... or something like that

Nice one Ferter