Hang Time is offline Registered User

Chip Off the Same Block

I am so happy to have found this forum. I have been a Rams fan for many years and am hoping that the "new" owner, Chip, dares eventually to change th organizational flow chart so we can become a better organization.

So far the Chip era has been in my mind a colossol disappointment. I hope his decision to retain Shaw and Zyg are tentaive decisions. The ills of the Rams have been exacerbated by Shaw's enthronement of Zygmunt as THE GUY who makes imporatnt ersonnel matters. While a wise management of teh salary cap is a prudent practice and praiseworthy skill, it's that difficult to keep the cap under control and to limit unnecesary spending especiallyon declining free agents.

I believe Shaw and Zygmunt go too far, erroring on the side of financial restraint, oftentimes at the expense of acquiring and retaining talent. Most long time observers of the Rams believe the Rams need someone in charge who is a better judge of talent. The Rams go through the motions of trying to improve personnel decisions on an annual basis. Last year it was Softli who promised to be the cure for Zygmunt's poor player evaluation skills. Zygmunt has reached his level of incomepetence.

The Peter Principle you may recall refers to the fact that in organizations and businesses people keep getting promoted until they are given a position that they are unable to excel at. This is the case with Zygmunt. A great cap guy, a hard ball negotiator, he keeps our cap space in a healthy state; however, being frugal to a fault, he usually finds a way NOT to attain the best talent via free agency.

Chip seems to be following Georgia's footsteps by allowing Shaw and Zyg to run a "profit-driven" decsion making enterprise that is done at the expense of being able to build perennial contenders.

So far, not so good for Chip and Rams nation. I hope Chip, in time, will get a Football guy, who's just as passionate about winning championships as he is aboput keeping Chip's profit margin lucrative and secure. Till then, I expect the Rams to NOT acquire much help in free agency, the draft, and coaching selection.

rampower is offline Registered User

Re: Chip Off the Same Block

I also would love more, but I'll give him a bit more time before I give up on him.

I like the hiring of saunders; Just wonder how long Linehan will be in town, I totally hope all goes well and our fortunes reverse, I like the way he has admited his failings and gone out to get help like saunders to address this, but if he cant regain the players trust, he will go.

Anyways welcome to the forum Hang Time, you will find many a rams fanatic here.

Stick around and join in the craic.

Rampower
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I have to completely disagree, HT.

Since Chip's been in charge, we've hired Saunders and Devaney. How much of that was engineered by Rosenbloom is debatable, but to infer that he should have already "cleaned house" is pretty unrealistic, given his lmited experience in his current role.

Let him watch for a year, assume more of an executive role, (if indeed that's what he wants to do), and then evaluate his decisions. This is pretty much a transitional year anyway, and valid criticisms of the current management notwithstanding, replacing management with unknowns at this point would be less than beneficial.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Whether or not you like what's been done so far, isn't rendering an opinion at this point kind of like watching the first minute of a film and saying, "man, this movie sucks!"

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Were you at the forum on stltoday.com before? i remember when i used to go there there was a guy named hang time.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Time View Post
    I believe Shaw and Zygmunt go too far, erroring on the side of financial restraint, oftentimes at the expense of acquiring and retaining talent. Most long time observers of the Rams believe the Rams need someone in charge who is a better judge of talent. The Rams go through the motions of trying to improve personnel decisions on an annual basis. Last year it was Softli who promised to be the cure for Zygmunt's poor player evaluation skills. Zygmunt has reached his level of incomepetence.

The Peter Principle you may recall refers to the fact that in organizations and businesses people keep getting promoted until they are given a position that they are unable to excel at. This is the case with Zygmunt. A great cap guy, a hard ball negotiator, he keeps our cap space in a healthy state; however, being frugal to a fault, he usually finds a way NOT to attain the best talent via free agency.
    Your critique of John and Jay has its merits, but it is far to soon to pass judgement on Chip, pariticularly given the circumstances under which he came to be controlling owner of the Rams. John and Jay really were like family to him over the years, so he isn't going to become Dan Snyder all of a sudden. Give the guy at least a little time to learn the ropes as an owner. He's a rookie right now. Sure he's been around the fringes of the organization for a long time, but that is a far cry from being required to make decisions as the Rams top man. If Chip maintains a certain loyalty to Shaw and Ziggy for their services to his late mom, it is understandable even laudable, particularly in this day and age. Chip hasn't forgotten his Dad either, whom he loved and respected. I believe he truly wants to restore the Rams to greatness; whether he can or not, remains to be seen. Let's at least give him his due.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Time View Post
    I am so happy to have found this forum. I have been a Rams fan for many years and am hoping that the "new" owner, Chip, dares eventually to change th organizational flow chart so we can become a better organization.

So far the Chip era has been in my mind a colossol disappointment. I hope his decision to retain Shaw and Zyg are tentaive decisions. The ills of the Rams have been exacerbated by Shaw's enthronement of Zygmunt as THE GUY who makes imporatnt ersonnel matters. While a wise management of teh salary cap is a prudent practice and praiseworthy skill, it's that difficult to keep the cap under control and to limit unnecesary spending especiallyon declining free agents.

Chip seems to be following Georgia's footsteps by allowing Shaw and Zyg to run a "profit-driven" decsion making enterprise that is done at the expense of being able to build perennial contenders.

So far, not so good for Chip and Rams nation. I hope Chip, in time, will get a Football guy, who's just as passionate about winning championships as he is aboput keeping Chip's profit margin lucrative and secure. Till then, I expect the Rams to NOT acquire much help in free agency, the draft, and coaching selection.
    Is this the beginning of C.R.O.P.?

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-02-2008, 04:07 PM