Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Chris Givens

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Chris Givens

Since I already talked about Isaiah Pead, I figured I'd do some other guys as well. I'd like to do all, but don't really see the point in doing one on Ja. Jenkins and Brian Quick. Everyone and their mothers know their style and what their capable of.

This video really doesn't show or prove anything, its just here to give you a glimpse of what kind of player he is. Givens ran a 4.39 forty yard dash at the combine. He is an elite deep threat, and a great route runner. He was considered one of the best route runners in this past years draft. Great route running plus elite speed bodes well for immediate success. He has a great change of direction and can make cuts on a dime.

The player which I think most resembles Chris Givens is:

Chris Givens: 5'11, 198 lbs, Round 4 Pick #96
    Jeremy Maclin: 6'0, 205 lbs, Round 1 Pick #19

Maclin and Givens are very similar players. Both around the same measurables, they are terrific route runners with elite speed. Both are good deep threats, and can run short - intermediate routes as well. In 3 years in the NFL Jeremy Maclin has posted impressive numbers: 189 receptions, 2,596 yards, 19 TD's. If we can get that type of production from our #2 WR, it'll equal more success for other guys as well. The special thing about Givens is that he will finally give us a consistent WR who can take the top off the defense and keep the safeties honest. Not only will that open up things for slot WR's Danny Amendola and Greg Salas, but it will bode well for opposite WR Brian Quick and the running game with SJAX and Pead.

Givens is a player who I think not many people know of. He is going to surprise. NFL.com states that "he could of went in the late first round of the draft". He slipped all the way to the 4th, I'd call that a steal as of right now.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -07-16-2012 at 08:49 AM.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Chris Givens

I agree he could be a stud, and with all his intangibles could easily become our starting #2 overtime, if not more perhaps. I have high hopes for this kid.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Yeah, I think it goes without saying that if Givens can produce the way Maclin has in Philadelphia, it'd be a help on numerous fronts. The Rams haven't had a receiver put up the yardage Maclin did as a rookie since Torry Holy in 2008. This team is starved for talent on the outside.

The question is how realistic it is for Givens to achieve that. They may have similar measurables, but I think Maclin is more explosive and consistent as a playmaker. Givens also doesn't benefit by being in a more conservative Jeff Fisher offense, so it'll be more difficult to put up similar numbers in this scheme.

Still, one could argue matching numbers aren't as important as the threat he'd provide if he can successfully establish himself as an outside weapon in the intermediate and deep passing game. Givens has the talent to become a quality player, and should compete for a starting job in a weak unit immediately. He has as good a chance as any newcomer to this roster of making an impact.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Torry Holt in 1999.
    Fixed that for ya.

gap

live4ramin is offline Registered User

These guys impress early, they'll get more to do.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Fixed that for ya.

gap
    My wording probably wasn't clear, I apologize.

As a rookie, Maclin achieved 762 yards. The last Rams receiver - rookie or veteran - to meet or exceed that number was Torry Holt, who gained 796 yards in 2008. Since then, no Rams receiver has surpassed Maclin's rookie yardage.

So while I understand we're talking about ideal outputs here, it's still a high bar to set for Givens, especially if we accept the notion that he'd be at best a #2 in a conservative scheme that will feature a lot of the ground game and possibly some increased tight end involvement. It's worth noting that based on his 2012 WR projections from earlier this summer, Sosa doesn't envision any Rams WR being as productive at gaining yards as Maclin was as a rookie.

When you look further at the numbers, Maclin's three-year averages come out to around 861 yards per season with six touchdowns a year. He's averaging 58.75 yards per game while playing in at least 13 games every season. The most recent Ram to meet or exceed any of those numbers was Torry Holt in 2007.

So forget getting this kind of production out of our #2; our recent #1's haven't even been able to come close to this. Let's hope this is the year that starts to change.

My wording probably wasn't clear, I apologize.

As a rookie, Maclin achieved 762 yards. The last Rams receiver - rookie or veteran - to meet or exceed that number was Torry Holt, who gained 796 yards in 2008. Since then, no Rams receiver has surpassed Maclin's rookie yardage.

So while I understand we're talking about ideal outputs here, it's still a high bar to set for Givens, especially if we accept the notion that he'd be at best a #2 in a conservative scheme that will feature a lot of the ground game and possibly some increased tight end involvement. It's worth noting that based on his 2012 WR projections from earlier this summer, Sosa doesn't envision any Rams WR being as productive at gaining yards as Maclin was as a rookie.

When you look further at the numbers, Maclin's three-year averages come out to around 861 yards per season with six touchdowns a year. He's averaging 58.75 yards per game while playing in at least 13 games every season. The most recent Ram to meet or exceed any of those numbers was Torry Holt in 2007.

So forget getting this kind of production out of our #2; our recent #1's haven't even been able to come close to this. Let's hope this is the year that starts to change.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't expect Givens to produce like Maclin. I'm just saying their similar players, and if Givens reaches his full potential and all things work out, than he can produce like that.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I wouldn't discount the fact that Maclin had Michael Vick throwing to him versus Sam Bradford who'll be throwing to Givens. Right there the classic pocket passing style of Bradford versus Vick's more scrambling style gives Maclin a slight timing edge. But Sosa wasn't trying to compare the 2 rather simply draw an analogy and I agree they have some similarities.

Go Rams!
    sosa39rams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I don't expect Givens to produce like Maclin. I'm just saying their similar players, and if Givens reaches his full potential and all things work out, than he can produce like that.
    They have similarities, sure. But obviously they have some differences too, since one was a Top 20 selection in his class and the other just barely cracked the Top 100 picks this year.

I'd like nothing more than for Givens to become this team's version of Maclin, but I don't want us as fans in our desperation for receiver talent to overshoot the expectations for these guys, especially early on.

Thus, my point is that the "If we can get that type of production from our #2 WR" talk should probably be put on hold until we can at least get that kind of production from our #1 first. We haven't for a number of seasons, so let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

They have similarities, sure. But obviously they have some differences too, since one was a Top 20 selection in his class and the other just barely cracked the Top 100 picks this year.

I'd like nothing more than for Givens to become this team's version of Maclin, but I don't want us as fans in our desperation for receiver talent to overshoot the expectations for these guys, especially early on.

Thus, my point is that the "If we can get that type of production from our #2 WR" talk should probably be put on hold until we can at least get that kind of production from our #1 first. We haven't for a number of seasons, so let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.
    So far Givens has played toe to toe with Maclin. Maclin has missed a game or two to injury, but Givens rarely played the first few games, so it balances out. But dang, was this guy a steal or what?
    Richbert88 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    So far Givens has played toe to toe with Maclin. Maclin has missed a game or two to injury, but Givens rarely played the first few games, so it balances out. But dang, was this guy a steal or what?
    Well, I think that's in no small part because Maclin's quarterback is playing so poorly that he may be benched in favor of a rookie. Context is important. But yes, Givens has racked up the yards as the deep threat this team has sorely needed. What I'd like to see from him is something I touched upon back when this thread was created, and that was consistency, where Maclin IMO has the edge.

As a rookie, Maclin averaged 3.7 receptions per game and that number only went up the two years after. Through eight games, Givens is averaging 1.6. Even if you remove the first two games of the season, it only pushes Givens up to 2.1 receptions per game. He's provided a deep threat that this team sorely needs, but he's not really established himself as the kind of consistent target that Maclin has become since joining Philly.

Those reception numbers have been trending up in the last three games, though, so hopefully by the end of the year, I can check that off the list. I agree that he's certainly looked like a steal, which if I recall another thread from around the time of this one, is what one very wise poster said he had a lot of potential to be.

Well, I think that's in no small part because Maclin's quarterback is playing so poorly that he may be benched in favor of a rookie. Context is important. But yes, Givens has racked up the yards as the deep threat this team has sorely needed. What I'd like to see from him is something I touched upon back when this thread was created, and that was consistency, where Maclin IMO has the edge.

As a rookie, Maclin averaged 3.7 receptions per game and that number only went up the two years after. Through eight games, Givens is averaging 1.6. Even if you remove the first two games of the season, it only pushes Givens up to 2.1 receptions per game. He's provided a deep threat that this team sorely needs, but he's not really established himself as the kind of consistent target that Maclin has become since joining Philly.

Those reception numbers have been trending up in the last three games, though, so hopefully by the end of the year, I can check that off the list. I agree that he's certainly looked like a steal, which if I recall another thread from around the time of this one, is what one very wise poster said he had a lot of potential to be.
    That man must be a genius!
    Nick likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM