Chris Johnson
    Position: Cornerback
    College: Louisville
    Height: 6-0
    Weight: 184
    Hometown: Longview, Texas

Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Aggressive wrapup tackler … Knows how to locate the ball, showing alertness and good hip swerve turning out of his breaks to track the ball in flight … Stays low in his backpedal, keeping his feet in control … Has a good feel for his man in the zone, getting a jump on the ball due to his ability to read the quarterback's moves … Sticks tight with his man, mirroring the receiver step-by-step … Effective in run support, quickly stepping up to fill the lanes.
    Negatives: Bit of a gambler, spending more time concentrating on the ball rather than making the switch-off assignment in the zone … Has dropped a few sure interceptions due to his concentration lapses (wants to run before he has the ball secured) … Has poor hand usage in run support, allowing blockers to cut him off at his feet … Despite fluid hips, appears very tight when having to make lateral moves.

CAREER NOTES
    Physical hitter who provided quality depth in the secondary while seeing action in the nickel and dime packages … Began his career at Blinn (Texas) Junior College … In two seasons at Louisville, recorded 40 tackles (28 solos) with 7 pass deflections in 21 games.
    2002 SEASON
    Played in 12 games, starting against Cincinnati, Southern Mississippi and Houston … Made 28 tackles (21 solos) with 6 pass deflections.
    Colorado State and Army - Made an assisted tackle in each game.
    Memphis - Had a season-high 7 hits (6 solos) and a pass breakup.
    Texas Christian - Deflected a pass and delivered 6 tackles (3 solos).
    East Carolina and Southern Mississippi - Registered 3 tackles in each contest.
    Cincinnati and Houston - Deflected a pass and came up with 2 tackles in each game.
    Alabama-Birmingham - Delivered 3 solo tackles and a deflected pass.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Chris Johnson Draft info

Johnson Hoping to Catch on Fast
    Tuesday, September 6, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

The number on the backside of Chris Johnson is abnormally small. In fact, if the number was on his jersey, it would be a violation of league rules.

But while everything is fine with Johnson’s No. 37 Rams’ jersey, the 4.18 tattooed on the back of his calves indicate a whole different way of identifying Johnson.

It wasn’t so long ago that that number had value beyond Johnson’s expectations. It was his 40-yard dash time. The time used, whether fairly or not, to measure a rookie’s speed on a football field.

As a defensive back at Louisville, Johnson ran the 40-yard dash in that precise time. He estimates that about half of the NFL scouts and coaches in attendance clocked him in that time while the rest clocked him in a more pedestrian 4.22 seconds.

For those who don’t know, those numbers aren’t just good for an NFL player, they’re good for a world-class sprinter.

“To me, it’s a blessing,” Johnson said. “A lot of people, they’re not really blessed to be that fast so it’s something that stuck with me.”

It is that kind of speed that made Johnson a valued commodity for the Rams when they began to shop former first-round choice Robert Thomas. Johnson said he was surprised that he was traded for a first rounder, but said it also made him feel good.

Johnson’s surprise generally comes from the fact that he was highly thought of even though he has yet to play in an NFL game in his two seasons in the league. Of course, injuries were the cause of that absence, but there were plenty of supporters in St. Louis trumpeting the cause of trading for Johnson and his athletic ability.

At the top of that list is free safety Michael Hawthorne, who spent the past two seasons mentoring Johnson.

“I don’t know anybody that runs 4.18, besides him,” Hawthorne said. “People tend to gravitate towards those that can shell out information. That would be the wise youngster and the wise old guy, so to speak. I had him around a lot. I consider that guy my little brother. I took him under my wing.”

Also pushing to add Johnson was defensive backs coach Kurt Schottenheimer, who coached Johnson with the Packers.

Schottenheimer told coach Mike Martz about Johnson’s physical skills and made a good enough case that St. Louis agreed to the trade Saturday night.

“In this situation, we solely relied on Kurt’s opinion of him,” Martz said. “Obviously he coached him. He had great things to say about him, thought he had terrific potential, had some injury issues that we are hoping and think are cleared up at this point. He’s still rough around the edges, but he’s a competitive guy with a lot of ability that we think in short order can contribute for us.”

Johnson enters a situation that presents plenty of opportunity for a guy in search of his first NFL playing time. Martz said Saturday that he would like to find some more depth out of his defensive backs and Johnson could compete with Corey Ivy, Terry Fair and Ronald Bartell for a nickelback job or, perhaps, more.

Tony Soprano Guest

The Packers secondary is woefully terrible. He didn't play in two years there, so I'm skeptical. And with all his speed, he lasted until the 6th or 7th round of the NFL draft. He had ONE intereception in his entire college career.

I'm still skeptical.

I'd be willing to wager the Rams were negotiating with the Packers from this guy and another player, and when the Packers wouldn't include the other player, or they couldn't agree on which other player, the Rams had no other offers and just took this guy because it was more than they would get just be cutting him. Teams have a good idea of when someone is being shopped and is no longer wanted, so any interested teams were holding out on getting Thomas after he was cut. In other words, the Rams were not in a good negotiating position.. The Packers were going to cut Johnson and we were days away from cutting Thomas..

I'm aware of the Bill Kollar quote that Thomas was going to be a backup, but I also heard on ESPN radio (Mel Kiper and the host)
    that the Rams had been shopping Thomas for several weeks.

Last edited by Tony Soprano; -09-06-2005 at 10:16 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Maybe Johnson is the kick re-tuner we so desperately need. If he has the speed that they say he does, not sure what’s left after the injuries.

sbramfan Guest

I have a Pro Football magazine (the one with Warner on the cover) and they don't even have this guy listed on the Packers roster.

Nor do they talk about him in the section where they explain that the secondary is terrible, so how could he not figure at all into their plans? And why did he go so late in the draft with that speed?

No INT's is odd? EVER?? He can't catch, or what?

Well, everyone gets their pick, so this one's on baby Shottenheimer. Who knows, maybe he's a future Deion Sanders?

Tony Soprano Guest

Kick Returner - that I can understand. Burners are great as Kick Returners, well most..

DatsunDimer Guest

The Packers have invested so much in young corners and have so much "potential" at that position that they didn't want to really invest anymore in Johnson. Many here in Wisconsin believe Johnson would have made the team, if he wouldn't have been traded.

One reason people beleive he went so late is because in college he never really got to showcase his speed. In Louisville they played zone coverages, were Johnson loves to use his speed in bump-n-run and be physical with the receiver; he is much better in that type of coverage.

I also feel that the Packers and Rams were in talks at least early last week and that the Packers were trying to showcase Johnson's return capabilities the last preseason game for the Rams' benefit.

sbramfan Guest

Thanks for the info Dimer,

Did he have some good returns in that game?

We really need a return guy. I think Fair will be good when healthy, but we could plug this guy in on day 1.

Anyone is better thant the combination of Cason, Harris, and my personal favorite, Shaun "wrong way" MacDonald.