Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: Chris Johnson out at the 1?

That would have been cool tx, but Johnson didn't sell it. In fact the guy needs acting lessions. Regardless, BURNED TIMEOUT. A new Martz record goes in the books.:bow:

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Spin it how you want it. If you want this to be negative, spin it that way. If you want to look at why he did it and still put a negative spin on it, do that too.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Rule interpretation - txram is that true

Tx,

You sure about that? Say I am lying with my toe out of bounds but the rest of my body is 6 feet inbounds and the ball is bouncing straight down the field and would go into the endzone but I reach out and touch it and stop it at the one yard line. Would the Rams get it at the 40?

The rule is that if you had any part of your body out of bounds when you had control of the ball, then the ball is out of bounds. This is on kickoffs now. If Johnson would have any part of his foot on the out of bounds line THEN caught the ball, the ball is out of bounds and the Rams are rewarded the ball at the 40.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Spin it how you want it. If you want this to be negative, spin it that way. If you want to look at why he did it and still put a negative spin on it, do that too.
    I don't really see any room for "spin" whatsoever as this play is as straightforward as it gets and sucked on many levels:

* The guy caught a kick that was going out of bounds then stepped out of bounds on the 1. Pretty much the worst thing you can do on a kick return outside of fumbling.

* Instead of owning up to his mistake he tried to cheese out of it with some technicality to the rule and lobbied Martz to challenge. Strike two.

* Martz actually challenged it. Fill in your own joke here.

* Bottom line, it was by definition the worst possible way to start the first offensive series of the season. You simply can't start out any worse, there's no negative-1 yard line. Talk about setting the tone for the year. Yeah, a 99-yard drive would have been great, but I think getting the ball on the 40 is slightly better. The only thing missing was sending in Tony Banks to start his career on his own 1-yard line (which "coincidentally" just so happened to be against the Whiners, too).

* We traded a former 1st-rounder for Johnson so he would return kicks. Sure, he has some long term potential at DB, but the trade was because of his return speed. Had he busted a return for a TD, Martz would be spouting that's why he traded for him. Instead it's another bad personnel move for Martz (so far).

* The Whiners get to reap unintended results as only they can. Instead of their kicker's mistake ending up as great field position for the Rams and setting the tone for the game, it goes exactly the opposite thanks to their opponent's idiocy. Just like how Montana once tried to throw the ball away out of the back of the endzone but instead it ended up as the greatest catch in their history, the Whiners luck out again.

Well, okay, there is some spin in there, mostly bitter residue from years of watching this sort of crap happen against the Rams and for the lucky benefit of the you-know-who...

No problem AJD, that's what this message board is for. To voice all opinions and to give everyone that respect. Spin is spin, I do it too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12