Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Long

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Chris Long

I know you cannot accurately judge someone based on their first year in the league, but I see nothing from Chris Long that shows me he's a game changer or the 2nd best player available in the 2008 draft. I didn't see the game today- I said three games ago I wasn't wasting my Sundays watching guys that looked as if they didn't want to be there- but did Long even play? He was credited with zero tackles. Hardly what you want from a guy who was drafted to be an impact player.

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

Re: Chris Long

Yes, clearly we should ignore what he's done the rest of the season and just focus on the last few weeks, when all rookies slow down.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

I know you cannot accurately judge someone based on their first year in the league
    ...You should have stopped right there before you even posted this thread.

It takes players on the D-line a year or two before they get there. Example: Mario Williams. He's shown flashes of greatness though. Plus, there's no one on the defense that could match his leadership qualities. I don't know what you've been watching...but his motor doesn't stop. That's a quality I'll take in any football player. It's just that right now, he's hit a wall. He's not used to going this long. No need to worry.

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

Leonard Little in the first season he started all 16 games (well after his rookie year):

44 tackles, 37 solo, 7 assists and 12 sacks.

His rookie year:

6 games, .5 sacks, no other stats.

His best year prior to starting:

5 sacks, no other stats.

Chris Long so far:

35 tackles, 4.0 sacks, 1 FF.

Where's the problem?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Among rookie DL, Chris Long is second in tackles (35, to Glenn Dorsey's 36), and first in sacks (4.0, tied w/Cliff Avril). At this pace, Long would finish the season with 43 tackles and 5 sacks.

Mario Williams' stats as a rookie: 47 tackles, 4.5 sacks.

Does that mean that Chris Long will have 25 sacks in the next 2 years? No. But it is way too soon to judge him.

From what I've seen, he's more consistently around the QB than any other DL on the Rams.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I know you cannot accurately judge someone based on their first year in the league, but I see nothing from Chris Long that shows me he's a game changer or the 2nd best player available in the 2008 draft. I didn't see the game today- I said three games ago I wasn't wasting my Sundays watching guys that looked as if they didn't want to be there- but did Long even play? He was credited with zero tackles. Hardly what you want from a guy who was drafted to be an impact player.
    LOL. Thats really all i can come up with, sorry.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Yes, clearly we should ignore what he's done the rest of the season and just focus on the last few weeks, when all rookies slow down.
    Good point. He didn't do much today, but he's been pretty solid most of the season. He's tied for the league lead in sacks for rookies and leads the league in tackles by all rookie DE's, by a big margin. With his energy and work ethic, he's got star power written all over him IMO.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Are you kidding me?!?!

Rookie seasons..

Mario Williams - 4.5 sacks 47 tackles
    Patrick Kerney - 2.5 sacks
    Kyle Vanden Bosh - .5 sacks his rookie season...3.5 sacks his second season
    Osi Umenyiora - 1 sack
    Michael Strahan - 1 sack
    Aaron Kampman - .5 sacks rookie season...2 his next season.

look at these guys now later in their future. You cannot base rookie DE stats and determine their play making abilities. Some players have great rookie seasons like Jarred Allen though.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I've read where they say sometimes he will get physically dominated, but overall he's doing about as well as you could expect from a rookie DE. I haven't seen much on him at all (film-wise), but have heard more positive than negative about him.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Long and Little are the only two from the front seven on this defense that are worth keeping.

The rest of the front seven sucks; beit starters or back-ups.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Good point. He didn't do much today, but he's been pretty solid most of the season. He's tied for the league lead in sacks for rookies and leads the league in tackles by all rookie DE's, by a big margin. With his energy and work ethic, he's got star power written all over him IMO.
    I think there was a quote from Torry Holt in a PD article that said basically the same thing with reference to Avery. All rookies seem to "hit the wall" about week 13 (Even Adrian Peterson got hurt about this time last year) of any given season, and the key to their progress is to fight through it. One thing I think we've seen consistently from Long this season is exactly that, probably moreso than any other player. Fight.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

what the hell are you talking about?..this kid is a beast with a very bright future ahead of him..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I know you cannot accurately judge someone based on their first year in the league.
    That is an excellent point, NJ! Well done.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

blood85 is offline Registered User

I think the kid is doing an admirable job, considering the piece of garbage team we have.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It's obvious you guys just want to bust my balls. Chris Long might very well turn out to be a decent player- I like him personally and he's a worker. That said, he has done NOTHING to show me he's some kind of defensive superstar- which is what the number 2 player in the entire draft should be.

He's had zero tackles the last two weeks. My mistake- I don't have a right to be critical of him. Carriker has done a great job, also (NOT). We should have drafted two offensive linemen the last two seasons, then maybe our offense would be worth a sh##.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-08-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: missing word

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast