Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Chris Long

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Chris Long

Now before I start I am a big fan of Chris Long, but I also know that Robert Quinn in the best defensive end that we have at the moment and he is going to be looking to get paid next year.

With Clowney being available in this years draft, does anyone think it makes sense to draft Clowney and trade Long to another team. This would in my opinion give us an upgrade at DE and free up some money.

If we were able to pull this off, what do you think we would get for Long?

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Re: Chris Long

This would not give us an upgrade. It would give us a potential upgrade. It would also give us a potential bust, which results in us getting rid of a pretty damn good football player.

I think we need to be more worried about fixing what isn't working, than tinkering with what is.

As far as opinions, I have this gut feeling that Clowney will bust. I'm not even using this opinion to base my decisions off of, I'm just saying.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If we took Clowney and we could get a 2nd rounder for Long I'd pull the trigger (I don't think we could get that much though). I wouldn't mind having Clowney and Long together for a season anyways. Robert Quinn shared a DE spot his first year with James Hall.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

With Long's contract, this is really not a realistic hypothetical.

Besides, right now, Long is an NFL DE who has not missed a game in 6 years, and has averaged over 10 sacks per year over the last four seasons. Clowney, on the other hand, is a college Junior who may or may not be a good NFL player.
    Rammed, ManofGod and Haste like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Action_Jackson View Post
    With Clowney being available in this years draft, does anyone think it makes sense to draft Clowney and trade Long to another team.
    There are some that do, and some that don't.

Ultimately, you're talking about trading away a proven, good player for a high risk high reward gamble, all at a position where any real upgrade is only going to produce a marginal improvement since this team is already among the best in the league in rushing the passer.

And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface about the swing in intangibles you'd have going from a dedicated team leader in Long to a guy in Clowney whose own college head coach has difficulty defending his work ethic to the press.

It's probably evident which group of the earlier "some" I fall into.
    HUbison and VegasRam like this.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I personally don't think it's a good move considering how many positions we need to fill. Our defensive line is one of the few areas we are great at. We need to address the offensive line if anything.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Why would we even think about trading Long now?

You can never have too many good attacking defensive lineman...Clowney would be on a rookie contract and Quinn is still on a rookie contract for the 2014-2015 season so we dont have to worry about finance problems with our D-line this season

We can see how it works for a season before making a move

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Ultimately, you're talking about trading away a proven, good player for a high risk high reward gamble, all at a position where any real upgrade is only going to produce a marginal improvement since this team is already among the best in the league in rushing the passer.

Thank you. I brought this up in another thread, but it fell on deaf ears. We're already really, really good at sacking the quarterback. Top 3 in the league spanning over a couple of years. Adding a (potentially) better pash rusher won't somehow double the sack production coming from our ends. There's only so many to go around. Since Long is hovering right around 10 sacks +/- a season, is the potential for 3-4 extra sacks a year really worth all of this mess?
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

As I've stated previously on other threads, I would not be drafting Clowney if I were the Rams. Upgrading a team strength makes no sense to me if there are other, more pressing units that need attention.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

What message would trading for Clowney and getting rid of Long send? Granted the NFL is a business and most players know that, but they are still human and some hard feelings are a reality...the Rams have to at some point re-sign players and work deals, and if the players don't have a belief they are part of a team, it could be a factor in those contract talks.

Long is part of a team, a core of elite players on the Rams defense; there are relationships involved and a chemistry. Why risk that? If Long's production fell off, that's one thing and players understand. But just to get a cash savings--one runs the risk of poisoning a locker room with player moves like that
    Haste likes this.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I think some people think of the concept of having Quinn and Clowney on the same d-line, and it tickles their garbonzos so much that they dont even care if its the best move or not. They want it regardless.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Some of you guys bring up good points. Even then, if the Rams added Clowney, I would want Chris here another year at least.

THE DREAM TEAM

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

IMO, Long will have one of the following happen in 2015 regardless if Clowney is on the roster. He will either get traded, cut or have his contract restructured. With Clowney here, the first two options are much likelier but if he isn't then I'd expect a restructure.

Fact of the matter is we need to pay Quinn and CL will take up quite a bit of cap. I trust Demoff will be able to restructure his contract so that both could be managed. Long is a nice player, but he has yet to make a Pro Bowl and has never been an All-Pro. We need to pay the much better and much younger player so we can have him through his prime where he absolutely wreaks havoc.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    As I've stated previously on other threads, I would not be drafting Clowney if I were the Rams. Upgrading a team strength makes no sense to me if there are other, more pressing units that need attention.
    Agreed. Get rid of a proven performer, and the spiritual leader of the team, to add a player who at best would only marginally improve the DL (at worst become the next Vernon Gholston), at the expense of several areas of need? IMO, that would be a mistake.

Haste is online now Registered User

If we were to get rid of Long just to have Clowney, then it would probably be a bad move. Fisher is known to treat his players right and to get them motivated, getting rid of a player who produces well just to save some money would be a bad sign to send.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast