Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Chris Long

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Re: Chris Long

You have to consider what affect on the morale of someone like James Laurinaitis it would have if we got rid of Chris Long
    RealRam likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

These are the types of mindless hypotheticals that drive me nuts. What POSSIBLE sane reason would the Rams have to trade a productive, durable guy in his late 20's? Why don't we just automatically cut any guy over the age of about 27 so we can save money and perpetuate this cycle of proclaiming ourselves "NFL's youngest team" while touting "how great we'll be with all this youth in 2-3-4 years??". Long is a guy I want here. And he deserves to be a part of the (hopeful) resurgence of Rams football after being absolute crap for years.

Screw Clowney. A) We don't need him. B) He was a lazy ******* all year BEFORE he received his millions in the draft, how do you think he'll be once he's rich? And most importantly, C) We have other needs to address.
    RealRam and Mikey like this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    That's a clown question, bro , but in fairness to the OP, he was't as much advocating it so much as asking what we could get for him. Also, while Quinn may be looking to get paid next year, he's not necessarily going to, since he will still be under contract.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -02-21-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    Agreed. Get rid of a proven performer, and the spiritual leader of the team, to add a player who at best would only marginally improve the DL (at worst become the next Vernon Gholston), at the expense of several areas of need? IMO, that would be a mistake.
    Exactly, that would be a mistake! Long = Leader. Long = Character (Howie Long character).

Chris Long is one of the Rams that truly takes ownership of the defense. He instills passion in it, sweet, scary passion. We need that terrifying aggressive factor if we're going to continue the improvement trend.

Just ask our new DC.

Last edited by RealRam; -02-20-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Ask DC

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Chris Long is one of the most hard working, max effort guys, in the league. By all accounts, Clowney is quite the opposite.

Two words: please, NO.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Chris Long is an above average proven commodity. On top of that, the passion and effort he brings to the table are outstanding. Cut him loose for an unproven college player? Not me!

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I'm agreeing with the masses here, I do not want to cut/trade Long for Clowney.

That being said, what are the odds of keeping all 3 on the team? By rotating them in and out we could keep all 3 fresh. Having a (relatively) fresh Long, Quinn, and Clowney in the 4th quarter, we could create havoc on a tired O-line.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sauceman View Post
    This would not give us an upgrade. It would give us a potential upgrade. It would also give us a potential bust, which results in us getting rid of a pretty damn good football player.

I think we need to be more worried about fixing what isn't working, than tinkering with what is.

As far as opinions, I have this gut feeling that Clowney will bust. I'm not even using this opinion to base my decisions off of, I'm just saying.
    Ideally, if we drafted Clowney, we'd probably want to keep Long around for this year anyway. Not that I believe Clowney will be a bust, but having that kind of depth can only be good for us.

Unfortunately, if Clowney shows the promise I believe he will show in his rookie year, it will then be time to look into moving Long's astronomical salary next offseason.

And while we're talking about potential busts, I'll remind you that Chris Long has played 6 years and is yet to make a pro-bowl. So although I don't believe he's a bust, but rather a good player, it certainly won't be like Clowney would be replacing Reggie White.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Point well taken Fhater.

It's interesting to see how priorities and plans change within an organization, even in shifting -- for one reason or another -- the value of its key components. Case in point: Chris Long.

I myself would like to see CL remain whether or not Clowney comes aboard (see post #19). Then I remember when the great, GREAT Deacon Jones was transacted away in 1972. Deacon Jones!

Again, for one reason or another -- contracts, personal, etc. -- sometimes superstars move on. It would be nice to keep Long as part of our evolving / improving DL.

...As it would have been nice to keep Deacon as part of the formidable Fearsome too.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Ideally, if we drafted Clowney, we'd probably want to keep Long around for this year anyway. Not that I believe Clowney will be a bust, but having that kind of depth can only be good for us.

Unfortunately, if Clowney shows the promise I believe he will show in his rookie year, it will then be time to look into moving Long's astronomical salary next offseason.

And while we're talking about potential busts, I'll remind you that Chris Long has played 6 years and is yet to make a pro-bowl. So although I don't believe he's a bust, but rather a good player, it certainly won't be like Clowney would be replacing Reggie White.
    I see your point, but let's not use whether someone has made a Pro Bowl or not to determine whether someone is a bust or not
    Rammed likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12