throwback week

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Chris Long led the league...

In QB hurries with 38...Long is the NFL’s most effective player in forcing quarterbacks to throw before they want to, according to Football Outsiders’ game-charting metrics...

These stats are for this past season....Great job Chris!!!

Other Rams players in the top 3 at their position:
    Lowest yards per carry allowed: Fred Robbins (ranked #1 in NFL) with 0.1 ypc against....Robbins, 33, had a watershed season in which he not only limited running backs more consistently than any other tackle, but he also picked up six sacks and defensed seven passes.
    Yards per pass allowed: Ron Bartell (ranked #2 in NFL) (4.7 YPP, 78 passes) This isn’t yards per completion; we’re just as interested in numbers that indicate incompletions.

Keep in mind that these stats are not mine, i am just passing them along...They came from the site that i referenced above and from Yahoo sports...Just thought you guys might enjoy these positive defensive stats
    Last edited by Bruce=GOAT; -01-29-2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: added more to post

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Re: Chris Long led the league...

Incredible. I had no idea about the Robbins and Bartell stats. Now we just need to fill in the couple holes we have on Defense, and the whole team will start to perform like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Nice! Something definitely clicked for Long this season, whether it was help along the line, improved coaching, or just a strong desire to prove the doubters wrong, I'm not sure. Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg though!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Hard to be impressed with stats such as Hurries. All that (Hurries) mean is an inability to actually get to the Quarterback. No knock on Chris...he's actually had a career year in Sacks (8.5). More impressed with Chris' durability, one things for sure Chris Long Shows up for every game, which says alot for his accountability. Hope its not too much to ask for one to expect more from Chris Long, becoming a perennial Pro Bowler like Dad Howie.
    Long, Bartell, Robbins are becoming household names on the Rams Defense along with Laurinaitis, Atogwe and Hall. Slowly but surely, Spags has this unit coming together quite nicely. Rams may concider spending a high draft pick on a quality LB or a D lineman that can be a key piece to the puzzle of the Rams Defense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Hard to be impressed with stats such as Hurries. All that (Hurries) mean is an inability to actually get to the Quarterback. No knock on Chris...he's actually had a career year in Sacks (8.5). More impressed with Chris' durability, one things for sure Chris Long Shows up for every game, which says alot for his accountability. Hope its not too much to ask for one to expect more from Chris Long, becoming a perennial Pro Bowler like Dad Howie.
    Long, Bartell, Robbins are becoming household names on the Rams Defense along with Laurinaitis, Atogwe and Hall. Slowly but surely, Spags has this unit coming together quite nicely. Rams may concider spending a high draft pick on a quality LB or a D lineman that can be a key piece to the puzzle of the Rams Defense.
    Why wouldn't you be impressed with hurries? If you watched any of the Rams games this year, you saw Chris Long frequently miss out on a sack because the QB threw the ball away but they still took solid hits for it. If Long wasn't getting to the QB, it wouldn't count as a hurry. So I don't understand why you say it's "an inability to actually get to the quarterback". Another way of saying that IMO, is Chris Long got more pressure this year that any other DE. I think that number (sacks) can fluctuate a lot. If 2 or 3 times a QB just eats the ball, Long is sitting at 10 or 11 sacks. And no one would be complaining. I think its a great stat because it shows that he's being disruptive and throwing off the timing of the quarterback. Just my 2 cents.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Why wouldn't you be impressed with hurries? If you watched any of the Rams games this year, you saw Chris Long frequently miss out on a sack because the QB threw the ball away but they still took solid hits for it. If Long wasn't getting to the QB, it wouldn't count as a hurry. So I don't understand why you say it's "an inability to actually get to the quarterback". Another way of saying that IMO, is Chris Long got more pressure this year that any other DE. I think that number (sacks) can fluctuate a lot. If 2 or 3 times a QB just eats the ball, Long is sitting at 10 or 11 sacks. And no one would be complaining. I think its a great stat because it shows that he's being disruptive and throwing off the timing of the quarterback. Just my 2 cents.
    Exactly. Quarterback hurries lead to, no surprise, hurried throws. The completion rate for these throws drops considerably. That's 38 play disruptions. 47 if you count the sacks. Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Exactly. Quarterback hurries lead to, no surprise, hurried throws. The completion rate for these throws drops considerably. That's 38 play disruptions. 47 if you count the sacks. Not too shabby.
    0 Pro Bowls unfortunately, doubt it very seriously if the Pro Bowl committee takes in account of 'Hurries' as a valid stat or if the overall Fan vote takes 'Hurries' in concideration when making selections.
    Hurries are nice, if only to look on the 'Bright side' of things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Will51 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Nice! Something definitely clicked for Long this season, whether it was help along the line, improved coaching, or just a strong desire to prove the doubters wrong, I'm not sure. Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg though!
    First of all many people agree that the pro bowl is a popularity contest and chris long isn't exactly a popular name just yet. Now the majority of votes come from fans which is why they have a pro bowl snub list so it does not have nothing to do with him not being in the pro bowl. Quarterback hurries lead to interceptions broken plays and inaccurate throws and chris long lead the league in all of those I'll take that any day not to mention I believe our team was top 10 in sacks in the league

thermobee is offline Registered User

0 Pro Bowls unfortunately, doubt it very seriously if the Pro Bowl committee takes in account of 'Hurries' as a valid stat or if the overall Fan vote takes 'Hurries' in concideration when making selections.
    Are you serious? Pro bowls? What planet do you live on? You are measuring Long's success by how many pro bowls you have? No wonder people dont like you on this forum.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

You know ... Marc Bulger made a couple of Pro Bowls back in his day. How did you feel about him, again?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Id take 8.5 sacks and 30 some odd hurries a year over a Pro Bowl every year.I don't watch the Rams to scout our future pro bowl prospects...I watch the Rams because I want them to compete every game like Long does to win games. Besides I hope Chris never goes to a pro bowl(Because he's to busy practicing for the Super Bowl).

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    You know ... Marc Bulger made a couple of Pro Bowls back in his day. How did you feel about him, again?
    Marc Bulger failed to live up to expectations, after replacing Kurt Warner and the 'Greatest Show of Turf' era.
    Bar-bq, you should know That I was the only one rockin' the Bulger Avatar, but I had to tell it like it is when it came to Bulger's poor play.

I see you've been Rockin' C Long for awhile now, initially, I had reservations about the abilities of Chris Long, but in the 'Long' run I can see Chris being more of a stand out defense lineman for Rams, in the future. 0 Probowls yet, but C Long is coming together rather nicely!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1. Long's hurries alone aren't that much to be excited about, but combined with the 8.5 sacks amount to a pretty successful season. He did a lot to quiet those who might have felt he wasn't living up to expectations.

2. Fred Robbins should have been voted into the Pro Bowl. The only DT in the NFC who had more sacks was Ndamakong Suh, and according to the stats mentioned in this post, he was top notch against the run. So he ranked in the top two against both run and pass...what more does he need to do?

3. That's quite impressive about Bartell, and somewhat disheartening in what it tells us about the rest of the pass defense when you figure we were still in the bottom half of the league in passing yards allowed even with a shutdown guy on one side of the field.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hard to be impressed with stats such as Hurries.
    Much more impressive than getting stalled by OTs all day.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Will51 View Post
    ...not to mention I believe our team was top 10 in sacks in the league
    Yes it was, and at one point we LED the league in sacks.