Rambos is offline Registered User
    one > Tipsheet > Rams Draft Day > Chris Long speaks!
    Chris Long speaks!
    By Jeff Gordon
    04/27/2008 3:37 pm
    Here are some highlights from Chris Longís news conference Sunday afternoon at Rams Park:

On what he likes about joining the Rams: ďI think schematically, the coaching staff, everything Iíve heard about the city and the organization. The combination of those things and the people that I have met here and obviously their position in the draft. It all made sense to me that this would be the place for me to be. I wouldnít rather have it any other way.

ďI know Marques (Hagans) real well. I was very excited for the fact that we will be reunited here. Heís one of the best teammates Iíve ever had. Marc Bulger called me yesterday and I had about a five minute conversation with him. It was really encouraging to just hear how cool he was. Heís like ĎHey you can crash at my place if you need a place to stay in the mean time. Any questions you have, I can answer them.í And thatís a relief. It speaks volumes for this organization. He is the face of this franchise and the leader. I also talked to LaíRoi Glover as well. Someone that I grew up watching back when I was a kid and now Iím going to hopefully be able to learn a lot from him.Ē

On learning the position from Leonard Little: ďThe first thing I want to do here is learn from the veterans and establish myself in the locker room because Iím not a guy who takes anything for granted and I know I have a lot to learn. Any guy like that, Leonard Little, LaíRoi Glover, Adam (Carriker), any of those guys that are willing to help me, I would love to be helped. I need help. Iím a young guy. Iíll be the first to admit that Iíve got a lot to learn. I canít wait to work with guys like that. Whatever they are willing to do, Iím receptive to that.Ē

On benefiting from his lifelong exposure to the NFL as Howie Longís son: ďI think that because of the fact that there is more pressure in my situation growing up that it has probably given me a bit of a mental edge. But at this point we are all equal as rookies. We have all been through college football for four or five years, so I donít have any advantage over the guys now. I think the game has changed a lot since my dad played and since I grew up around that game. Iím new to it, just like he is new to the process as well.Ē

On his leadership potential: ďI think you are who you are throughout this whole process. As a teammate and a player, passion is not something that you can contrive and neither is leadership. I think these things come naturally to some people. I donít think of myself as a leader or anybody out of the ordinary. I just do what comes naturally to me as a person and as a teammate and subsequently as a player. If Iím able to be a leader, great, but Iím going to come in and try to be the same guy everyday.Ē

On his skill level: ďI need to work on everything. My technique might be good relative to some guys but I donít think technically the college game, especially with defensive lineman, is too high of a level. I really have to step my game up in some of these phases. I mean the press conference would go on for hours if I talked about what I need to get better at.Ē

On his ability to rush and stop the rush: ďVersatility is something that I feel that I can bring to a team. I think itís fun to play a number of different spots. To have a number of different responsibilities is something that I did at Virginia. Obviously thatís the college level and this is the pro level. I think really what I have to do is get just good enough to get on the field and do one thing well. Iím willing to do anything that coach wants me to do. I canít wait to lineup anywhere on the field.Ē

Coming home to the Louis! NFL Video Galleries
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-27-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Chris Longís news conference Sunday afternoon at Rams Park:

I'm glad we decided to pick him. He's such a great character. The team seems excited to have him. Here's to 08 guys

bjjones2455 is offline Registered User

Great pic at 2, Chris will make the defense a force to reckon with for years to come!

thoey is offline Registered User

Welcome aboard son. Now get that contract signed and get to learning.

Oh, and get a number assigned. I know which jersey I am getting this year...
    This space for rent...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Youre in line too eh?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Its great to see how Long knows he has to work to be the best, and it seems he is very willing to do so. Also:

Marc Bulger called me yesterday and I had about a five minute conversation with him. It was really encouraging to just hear how cool he was. Heís like ĎHey you can crash at my place if you need a place to stay in the mean time. Any questions you have, I can answer them.í
    Marc Bulger is a true leader for the Rams. I dont care what anyone says. He might not shout and scream to get people going, but he does all the right things.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Its great to see how Long knows he has to work to be the best, and it seems he is very willing to do so. Also:

Marc Bulger is a true leader for the Rams. I dont care what anyone says. He might not shout and scream to get people going, but he does all the right things.
    Bulger is the freakin' man. That is so cool to hear that he said that. I am VERY impressed by that. He is indeed a leader, and I think he does truly care about the team.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ramer is offline Registered User

Bulger is such a class act. I hope the OL stays health so he can show everyone what a great QB he is.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I like the fact that Chris Long really puts thought into what he says and means every word of it. Despite being the son of a Hall-of-Famer, he is loaded with humility and will be a leader on the defense. Pairing up with Carriker on the line will be scary; those are two intense dudes.

-jake-

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Welcome aboard son. Now get that contract signed and get to learning.

I'm guessing he'll be #93. I'll be buying the jersey also.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

bulger just wants long to take it easy on him in trainig camp, lol, but for real bulger is a true leader and we would be in a devastationg state as a franchaise without him
    Built RAM tough

Ramer is offline Registered User

Long will be the 1st jersey I buy in 08.