Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Was Chris Long Worth Second 0verall

What I really Wanted to ask was Will We see that Second Overall Talent, The reason I ask was Because Mario Williams went 1st 0verall and there Rookie Seasons are Very Simular and then Williams Took off from There.

Mario Wiiliams Stats
    Texans 2008 Tackles: 53, Sacks: 12.0
    Texans 2007 Tackles: 59, Sacks: 14.0
    Texans Rookie Tackles:47, Sacks: 4.5

Chris Long's Stats
    Rams Rookie Tackles: 40, Sacks 4.0
    Last edited by rams 24/7; -04-12-2009 at 01:36 AM.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Re: Was Chris Long Worth Second 0verall

I would definitely say, I expect this to go a long way. I think Long has the potential to outshine almost all the DEs of the NFL, because of his work ethic and seemingly endless supply of effort. He never stops going, and plays the play out to the whistle, and then some. He has all the character traits that we need as well, and will definitely develop into a solid leader on the Rams if he can be retained post-rookie contract. I think if we supplement our defense at all this offseason, we are going to see long add quite a few more sacks to the game. (I can understand the "Rookie Tackles" is obvious, but what are the 2007 tackles and 2008 tackles representing? The rookies from that season? Or Mario Williams? Because it doesn't say "Mario Williams Tackles:".) But if that is the implying that as a 2nd year player earns/earned 14 sacks, I think that shouldn't be the expectation here. The majority of veterans aren't going to get that many, so I think that may have had some other factors involved.

Either way, I think you/me/everyone are going to watch Chris Long develop into a great defender and leader, and that he was definitely worth the 2nd pick, and will show it.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    I would definitely say, I expect this to go a long way. I think Long has the potential to outshine almost all the DEs of the NFL, because of his work ethic and seemingly endless supply of effort. He never stops going, and plays the play out to the whistle, and then some. He has all the character traits that we need as well, and will definitely develop into a solid leader on the Rams if he can be retained post-rookie contract. I think if we supplement our defense at all this offseason, we are going to see long add quite a few more sacks to the game. (I can understand the "Rookie Tackles" is obvious, but what are the 2007 tackles and 2008 tackles representing? The rookies from that season? Or Mario Williams? Because it doesn't say "Mario Williams Tackles:".) But if that is the implying that as a 2nd year player earns/earned 14 sacks, I think that shouldn't be the expectation here. The majority of veterans aren't going to get that many, so I think that may have had some other factors involved.

Either way, I think you/me/everyone are going to watch Chris Long develop into a great defender and leader, and that he was definitely worth the 2nd pick, and will show it.
    I think he will definatly show his worth. I get the feling we will go smith this year but I would prefer curry. I think with curry you would get some more definition out of carriker, ( does anyone know if he is still putting on weight?). And I also think finishing up a defence would help the offence this year more than any rookie tackle ..

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

well,just in reply to the question used in the title of this thread...i watched every game of his rookie year and yes Chris Long was/is worth the 2nd Overall pick.

i dont think Chris will become one of these 10plus sacks a season sack masters (tho he still could) but Chris`s strengths are his overall play..there isnt one aspect of his game that he isnt atleast good at..he is so driven to become great that coupled with his skills,i just cant see him failing in the long run other than through injury or ill health...if his heart is allowed to drive his career,he will not fail!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The thing about Chris is he's the perfect size for his position, has the right work ethic and the absolute drive and attitude it takes to make it work in the NFL at DE. It's really hard to see him not progressing into what should be an outstanding career.

Question is, will this Rams regime keep him if he indeed lives up to expectations? Everyone says yes they will but I personally really don't know.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Too early to tell, by the end of year three, we should have a clue.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Chris Long seemed to be overmatched last year in his first shot, going up against NFL offensive linemen. He is however only a rookie! Though Long may not have produced the positive results you would like to see from your defensive end, you have to like the guys motor. Chris Long has alot of 'heart' which in turn will carry him a long way throughout his football career. I'm sure Dad, "Howie" will have given him some pointers as Chris furthers his developement going into his 2nd year with the Rams.
    Chris Long is fine, and he is a solid #2 overall draft pick!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Long was the best guy we could of hoped for last year. Even the old regime couldn’t screw that one up. The kids gonna be a great player for many years. Gotta love his motor over anything else. To answer your question. Without a doubt he was worth the #2 pick….

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    The thing about Chris is he's the perfect size for his position, has the right work ethic and the absolute drive and attitude it takes to make it work in the NFL at DE. It's really hard to see him not progressing into what should be an outstanding career.

Question is, will this Rams regime keep him if he indeed lives up to expectations? Everyone says yes they will but I personally really don't know.
    I think they will based on Devaney new track record in retaining 2 young guys in OJ and Bartell. In the past we probably would have lost 1 or 2 of those guys.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I feel safe in saying the prior FO regime probably wouldn't have. Billy D. and Spags have given voice to building a foundation however, and Chris Long would appear to be an ideal building block. As long as Chip is the owner, and Billy and Spags are commanding the ship, I would be completely flabbergasted if Long were allowed to depart at the end of his current contract, providing of course that he fufills expectations concerning his on field performance. Chris should show improvement this year, even though it's a new system to learn. The 2010 season (if not before) should huge for him.

Shale is offline Registered User

Long is going to be a great player, but I think more so for his leadership than his athletic prowess. Don't get me wrong, I expect him to put up good numbers and be a very solid player but his real strength will be in the locker room (IMHO).
    </shale>

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Too early to tell, by the end of year three, we should have a clue.
    So as of right now theres NOTHiNG you can opiniate on about Chris?

He definitely has upside, he's a superstar without the "superstar attitude". Deep into his craft and a hard worker. I know it'll take another year or two to tell if he was worth the pick, or wether he backed up the hype well, but as of right now i would say yes, this man is a good embodiment of what a true, hard working athlete should be. Good for our football team!

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Long was the best guy we could of hoped for last year. Even the old regime couldn’t screw that one up. The kids gonna be a great player for many years. Gotta love his motor over anything else. To answer your question. Without a doubt he was worth the #2 pick….
    Well said, got to agree here

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

In a word, yes.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I would say yes, I expect him to be much better this season,remember he has had all off season to talk and work on it with his father who can only help him get better,I for one was pleased with his first season,sure he could have done better but I am glad we made that pick,we should just be glad the Rams didn't listen to some of the Clan members and select Vernon Gholston,then this conversation would be much different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast