Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A-Web is offline Registered User

Re: Was Chris Long Worth Second 0verall

I think it is almost redundant and stupid to think that even the PRIOR FO would have let him slide away.

Chris Long was Linehan's guy. If you asked Long that, he would have agreed. They got along, and they clicked really fast. You could tell with all the post-draft footage of the two making the traveling plans and doing interviews. They had a quick bond that is sometimes, but not always immediately forged between rookie and head coach.

I sometimes think that when you take that key element away, it might upset the development of a player such as this, as in the situation in Oakland where I feel Russell is being screwed over season by season without having any consistencies in his coaching. But, I think, unlike J. Russell, Chris Long is being handed an even better coach, and he will realize this and thrive under the new regime.

Time will tell, I agree, but I think my time machine just brought news back, and it said Chris Long has alot of Pro Bowls in his near future.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I agree with txramsfan, I love his work ethics & drive for football. I see Chris having an outstanding NFL career.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Many seem to think that if you do not get a game breaking skill position player or a guy that will revolutionize the position with a top 5 pick, then the pick is somehow wasted. I disagree with this line of thinking. While it does not appear Chris Long will be a superstar in the Reggie White-Bruce Smith mold, all indications are that he can be a very good player for an 8-10 year time period. Couple this with his work ethic, his drive to succeed and his pedigree with a Hall-of-Fame father, and I think the Rams made a good selection.

As pointed out by others earlier, his rookie year is on par with other high picks who played the same or similar position. There is no reason to think Chris Long won't continue to get better and become an important piece in this Rams turn-around.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    I think it is almost redundant and stupid to think that even the PRIOR FO would have let him slide away.
    Well .. we'll never know for sure, thankfully! But I wouldn't have been surprised if they somehow managed to alienate him come contract time. Probably stupid and redundant of me to feel that way, but if anyone could have screwed it up, they were certainly capable IMO.

Yes, Long was worth the 2nd overall pick! He'll provide a solid building block for Billy and Spags to continue their remodeling of the Rams. Munroe or Smith will provide yet another ...

flying t-bird is offline Registered User

Long is definately worth it. With the way he works and his effort, no doubt about it

RealRam is offline Registered User

Oh, absolutely! Yes indeed. Chris Long has one of the best mentors a DL could have in the NFL. I believe our young DE most definitely has the right stuff: character, patience, physical potential.

It will be VERY interesting to see how his 2nd year will turn out. 2nd year with the Rams, no less.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

I would like see more sacks coming from #72. He's got a good motor, but if he can't get to the Quarterback it's all just wasted energy. Chris Long will have to develope the mentality of "KILL THE QUARTERBACK!" Starting with Chris and Adam, the Rams two young defensive lineman, must not get push around anymore. It's time now to punch the rest of the NFL in the mouth. These are our boys Long, Carriker and the rest. It's time to stop the rest of the league from running over us! I'm behind Chris Long, but you gotta bring it! Show me something! Results!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eldfan is offline Registered User

I would say yes right now it's still early but I have know dought he will be good for us for a long time.
    :ramlogo:

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Was he worth the second overall?

Only time will tell.

When you spend the second overall on a player you expect him to have a long, productive career with the team. That can't happen in one year.

Did Long play well as a rookie?

I think he did. If you look at the best DEs in the league, quite a few of them did not come into their own until their 2nd or 3rd year in the league. So a guy who starts from Day 1, has decent numbers, and consistently pressures the QB, in my book did just fine.

Long strikes me as a guy who will work every year to get better. In that regard, he's like Bartell or Atogwe, who have both contined to improve. He's the opposite of Barron, who seems content to be a slightly-above-average guy on the basis of his natural physical ability.

I think Long will justify the pick over time.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    I would like see more sacks coming from #72. He's got a good motor, but if he can't get to the Quarterback it's all just wasted energy. Chris Long will have to develope the mentality of "KILL THE QUARTERBACK!" Starting with Chris and Adam, the Rams two young defensive lineman, must not get push around anymore. It's time now to punch the rest of the NFL in the mouth. These are our boys Long, Carriker and the rest. It's time to stop the rest of the league from running over us! I'm behind Chris Long, but you gotta bring it! Show me something! Results!
    Kill the Quarterback!....... just don't lunge at him if on your knees, don't hit him above the shoulder pads, don't hit him after the ball is released..... oh, and don't wrinkle his skirt.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I would say yes, I expect him to be much better this season,remember he has had all off season to talk and work on it with his father who can only help him get better,I for one was pleased with his first season,sure he could have done better but I am glad we made that pick,we should just be glad the Rams didn't listen to some of the Clan members and select Vernon Gholston,then this conversation would be much different.
    ANd what is Gholston doing? Virtually nothing.

DakotaRam is offline Registered User

Good comparison with Williams on this post. I would say yes, he was worth the #2 pick.
    Gotta Go To Work... Gotta Go To Work...

thoey is offline Registered User

Same as this year. We have too many holes to fill. BPA at that pick in the draft. I feel he will be well worth that pick when we look back 2-3 years from now.
    This space for rent...

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaRam View Post
    Good comparison with Williams on this post. I would say yes, he was worth the #2 pick.
    Aleast some0ne was paying attention. I said and was Being optimistic about Long, Every0ne knows that Mario Williams can be argued as a Top 3 DE in only His 3rd Year. But going By stats Williams and Long's Are almost Identical in there Rookie year. Both having 0nly 4 sacks, even there draft pick-up are very Simular, Both taking in the Top 3. So my Question was with all this Similarity between them and 0nly in Williams 3rd year can be argued as a top 3. What are the opinions of Long being mentioned in that Top 3 around his 3rd year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12