RamWraith is offline Registered User

Claiborne is excited about seeing Vikings

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/08/2005

Rams linebacker Chris Claiborne is eagerly anticipating a homecoming weekend in Minnesota.

"I'm looking forward to seeing the guys again," said Claiborne, who was with the Vikings in 2003 and '04. "It was great when I was there. They were really good to me."

The Rams figured that the signing of Claiborne as a free agent March 4 would solve a nagging problem. Former first-round draft choice Robert Thomas had been a disappointment at middle linebacker, plus the 6-foot-3, 255-pound Claiborne would provide a much-needed physical presence inside.

So Claiborne received a three-year, $10.5 million deal, and Thomas was traded to Green Bay. And yet Claiborne might not even be in the starting lineup Sunday when the Rams (5-7) and Vikings (7-5) square off at the Metrodome.

Claiborne's play tailed off after a strong opening to the season, and Trev Faulk has started the last two games in his place. Claiborne, Detroit's first-round draft pick (No. 9 overall) in 1999, didn't get in for a down on defense Nov. 27 at Houston. But he turned in what interim head coach Joe Vitt called his "most productive day" of the season Sunday against Washington.

Faulk was limited to a couple of series because of illness, and Claiborne collected seven tackles in a relief role. "He was getting off blocks, and he showed some range," said Vitt, who also coaches the linebackers. He called Claiborne's benching "a little wake-up call. And he responded like a man. I was proud of him."

Claiborne, 27, declined to discuss his demotion or Vitt's assessment of his play vs. the Redskins. "I don't want to get into that," he said this week. After averaging 120 tackles in his first seven seasons, Claiborne has just 48 this year. He is replaced in most passing situations, which has limited his production somewhat.

Rams re-sign CB

Second-year cornerback Dwight Anderson paid a stiff price for missing curfew one night in training camp: He was released.

Some four months later, Anderson received a pardon of sorts when the Rams re-signed him. "It was weird," Anderson said. "It was like 7 o'clock (Wednesday) morning, and I got a call out of the blue."

The 5-foot-10, 172-pound Anderson, who was having a strong camp before his misstep, moved on to Carolina for three weeks in the preseason. He said he had no other tryouts after the Panthers cut him Aug. 28.

Anderson, 24, promised that he'd be ready for action Sunday if the Rams need him.

That losing feeling

Rookie Ryan Fitzpatrick hadn't experienced defeat as a starting quarterback for more than two years before Sunday's 24-9 loss to Washington.

After a 32-24 loss to Pennsylvania on Nov. 11, 2003, Fitzpatrick's Harvard outfit beat Yale in the season finale the next week, then went 10-0 his senior year.

"I haven't felt that feeling in a while," Fitzpatrick said. "It's not a great feeling."

Ram-blings

As expected, cornerback Terry Fair (neck) was placed on injured reserve Thursday. ... Offensive lineman Matt Morgan was promoted to the 45-man roster from the practice squad, and center Toby Cecil was re-signed to fill Morgan's spot on the practice squad. ... Defensive lineman Brian Howard (concussion) hasn't practiced this week and probably won't suit up Sunday. ... Vitt said Jamie Martin would back up Fitzpatrick on Sunday. Jeff Smoker, who filled that role last week with Martin recovering from a concussion, moves back to the No. 3 spot.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Re: Claiborne is excited about seeing Vikings

He should be more concerned about stopping the run or sacking the QB than seen the guys, ...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

After averaging 120 tackles in his first seven seasons, Claiborne has just 48 this year. He is replaced in most passing situations, which has limited his production somewhat.
    I know this is beating a dead horse, but I just don't understand why we keep taking him out in sub packages. Other DCs (ie, in Minn and Detroit) seemed to think he did just fine in every package. So why are we taking him out?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

HUb who is our DC again, and how did he get that job? Oh wait he is the EX DC of the Cardinals and was a friend of Martz by the name of Larry Marmie

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

well now maybe he'll give that extra 100000% and get about 50 sacks this game

that would help us for sure

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Second-year cornerback Dwight Anderson paid a stiff price for missing curfew one night in training camp: He was released.

Some four months later, Anderson received a pardon of sorts when the Rams re-signed him. "It was weird," Anderson said. "It was like 7 o'clock (Wednesday) morning, and I got a call out of the blue."

The 5-foot-10, 172-pound Anderson, who was having a strong camp before his misstep, moved on to Carolina for three weeks in the preseason. He said he had no other tryouts after the Panthers cut him Aug. 28.

Anderson, 24, promised that he'd be ready for action Sunday if the Rams need him
    Alright we have a Dwight back. I liked his energy level. Hopefully he stays out of the dog house this time.

Rookie Ryan Fitzpatrick hadn't experienced defeat as a starting quarterback for more than two years before Sunday's 24-9 loss to Washington.

After a 32-24 loss to Pennsylvania on Nov. 11, 2003, Fitzpatrick's Harvard outfit beat Yale in the season finale the next week, then went 10-0 his senior year.

"I haven't felt that feeling in a while," Fitzpatrick said. "It's not a great feeling."
    I was watching Fitzpatrick at the end of the game and he took the loss to heart. That is a nice winning streak he had going at Harvard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]