throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Claude Rotten's replacement?

STLtoday - Discussions - Jim Thomas Live

Jim Thomas: The Rams are in the process of signing Henry Smith, a nose tackle, from Texas A&M. He's 6-3, 315, and was with New England earlier this offseason as a rookie free agent.
    DT Josh Thompson is expected to be waived-injured to free up the roster spot

I guess this guy will be the newest Ram .. Anybody have any more info on him?
    Henry Smith - Football Recruiting

RANDYRAM Guest

Re: Claude Rotten's replacement?

This might be a blessing !
    We might get a young guy that is hungry and wants to play??
    I don't know anything about him! but can he be any worse than
    Claude pot head wortton.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I had him going to us in the 7th round in my mock draft. I don't see how he is wrotten's replacement becuase he is real strictly a NT if he made the team Ryan would be playing more 3 technique.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

From April 3, 2008 (thread on sleeper picks):

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I previously listed Bruce Davis as my top sleeper for Day 2. I think he could really contribute as a situational pass rusher.

Some others:

Kevin Robinson, WR/KR, Utah State
    Anthony Hoke, OLB, Cincinnati
    Hilee Taylor, OLB, North Carolina
    Henry Smith, DT, Texas A&M

45superman Guest

I still see Carriker as more of a 3 technique tackle than a nose, so I like the idea of bringing in some more potential depth and competition at nose.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I had him going to us in the 7th round in my mock draft. I don't see how he is wrotten's replacement becuase he is real strictly a NT if he made the team Ryan would be playing more 3 technique.
    Not necessarily. It could be that Carriker and Ryan will be our starting duo with Glover backing up Carriker and Smith or someone else behind Ryan.

RealRam is offline Registered User
    Maui, found this just now from Aggieathletics.com on DL Henry Smith: 6-3 / 315.

2006 (JUNIOR): Solid run-stuffer off the bench produced 22 tackles in 13 games of action … also had two quarterback sacks and four tackles for losses … had a season-high four tackles against The Citadel.

2005: Redshirted.

2003-04 (EAST CENTRAL CC): Produced 48 tackles, including seven for losses and four sacks at East Central (Miss.) Community College … also blocked a pair of field goals … coached by Terry Underwood.

HIGH SCHOOL: Two-time first-team all-district and all-state defensive lineman in Alabama at Aliceville High School … was the Alabama Class 3A Lineman of the Year as a senior after piling up 190 tackles, including 10 sacks and 14 tackles for losses … as a junior, Smith posted 160 tackles, including eight sacks, while leading AHS to a 15-0 record and the state championship.

PERSONAL: Henry Otis Smith Jr. is the son of Lulla Bell and Henry Smith, Sr. of Aliceville, Ala. … born June 19, 1983 … agricultural leadership and development major.

And this from NFL Draft Profiles / Prospects:

Analysis
    Positives: Has good bone structure with adequate muscle development, but does carry around excess baggage in his midsection...Has strong powerful hips and lower leg drive to get a good push coming off the snap...Best playing in run containment, as he has the size to clog the rush lanes and while inconsistent, he flashes the ability to force guards back into the pocket on the bull rush...He can locate the football better on the move than when working through trash...He shows an adequate burst on his upfield push and can chase down ballcarriers in the short area (lacks stamina for the long chase)...Has just enough acceleration to help him get penetration and finds ways to make plays in the backfield (better bull rusher than pass rusher)...When he stays low in his pads, his strong anchor is very difficult for double teams to defeat...Will win most one-on-one battles when he keeps his hands active...Needs to show better block protection to keep the opponent off his feet, but does move down the line with good urgency...When he gets into position, he can hit and impact the ballcarrier with good pop on contact...Marginal pass rusher, but on the bull rush, he takes good angles to pressure the pocket...Must be more active with his hands when trying to shed, but generates a strong punch to rock the blockers back on their heels...Very good space eater who likes his ability to occupy multiple blockers, as he is more combative with his hands when facing those odds, doing a good job of grabbing jerseys to drag and jerk his man to the ground...Stout at the point of attack and except for losing some battles to cut blocks, he is a relatively immovable force when he sticks his foot into the ground.

Negatives: Lacks suddenness out of his stance and needs to reduce the girth around his midsection, as the added flesh causes him to struggle when having to get low in his pads...Best as a run stuffer, but shows inconsistencies with his leverage and while he has good playing strength, he leaves his hands at his side too much, letting blockers attack his body...Because of marginal hand usage, he is susceptible to cut blocks and that results in spending too much time on the ground...Try-hard type, but the added girth also affects his stamina and he will shut down late in games...For a player with his upper body strength, you would expect more rip and club moves from him, but he will try to out-finesse blockers with spin moves instead...Gets too high in his stance to slip past blocks to impact the pocket much...Struggles to locate the ball working through trash and needs to show better patience before committing, as he will bite on misdirection...Does not have the timed speed or loose hips to generate much chase pursuing the ball on the perimeter.

Compares To: DARWIN WALKER-Chicago...Like Walker, Smith's motor runs hot and cold, but more so due to his stamina issues, as he needs to get himself in better shape. He has good playing ability as a run stuffer, but must be more aggressive with his hands. He tries to get fancy with spin moves on the pass rush, but is more effective occupying multiple blockers and neutralizing inside runs rather than pressuring the quarterback.

Injury Report
    No injuries reported.
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-29-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Added info

itsguud is offline Registered User

Maybe this is more of a precaution, in case Carrikers inj is worse then we think it is?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguud View Post
    Maybe this is more of a precaution, in case Carrikers inj is worse than we think it is?
    Don't say that!

Don't get me nervous this early, please! I'm only hoping Smith is a safety measure to fill CW's -- that jerk -- roster spot.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    This might be a blessing !
    We might get a young guy that is hungry and wants to play??
    I don't know anything about him! but can he be any worse than
    Claude pot head wortton.
    Hey, Rotten was hungry too. What with all the smoking he'd be sure to have the munchies, and smashing your ex-girlfriend's door ain't easy work either, but someone has to do it and I bet it's enough to make any man hungry. Oh, you meant the other 'hungry' never mind then
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -07-29-2008 at 08:23 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Maybe this is more of a precaution, in case Carrikers inj is worse then we think it is?
    Why would you presume that. Wroten is gone and resever Joshua Thompson was injured. Those are the obvious reasons for the signing.

Do we really need to look for some secret doomsday scenario?