Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Unhappy Claude Wroten's character

Several poeple have posted (on another tread) that "Wroten's willingness to acknowledge his mistake is important" and "At least Wroten and Linehan are saying all the right things. Wroten has been apologetic and is doing his best to reassure everyone that part of his life is over"

I'm a skeptic on this guy, even though in my heart I hope his off-field character matches his promising on-field talent.

Here's why: It's been widely reported that his response when questioned on his past drug troubles was “It was definitely a one-time thing, I wasn’t thinking at the time,”

It wasn't a "ONE TIME THING", it was three things regarding the same substance. I would like to think Wroten can count. I think his comments fall short and I do not find them forthcoming.

But, I will pray and hope for the best.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Claude Wroten's character

maybe he meant one time, as in maturity. Maybe he's matured, you never know, this is a big deal to be in the NFL. And I'm sure Linehan knows what he's doing...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What are you referring to?

He was arrested in January for possession, but not charged.

At the Combine, he tested positive.

Now, if you know anything about marijuana (I do because I've written many employer drug testing policies), you'd know that if you use marijuana in January, you could certainly test positive a month later, as the substance remains in the system for a long time.

So, it may very well have been a one time incident.

I do think his contrition is important. Compare it to Marcus Vick who, when asked about his problems with the law and his university, said he was the victim of "bad luck."

Do those who express contition always avoid repeat offenses? Of course not.

He's a young man who made a mistake. A lot of us made mistakes at his age - but most don't have the spotlight of the NFL draft to magnify them.

Either what has happened to him since January will be a wake up call or not. That's up to him to determine - and is not for us to prejudge.

CanadianRam! Guest

Linehan checked with LSU coaches and they all said that Wroten is a nice kid...i'll give him a chance.

Rampage39 Guest

College coaches always say their kids are nice kids. Frank Beamer sent a letter to all the NFL teams telling them how well behaved Jimmy Williams is but everyone out there knows hes a nutcase.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Right now he desreves a CLEAN SLATE from everyone in Ram Land. Everyone makes mistakes, he hasn't made any mistakes as a Ram and deserves a chance here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

As far as the "one time" thing, it was at least a two time thing. The possession incident occured in January, and the positive test could easily be linked to smoking pot then. However, he revealed that he had tested positive another time during his junior year.

Either way, I don't think it matters that much. The way I've heard it in terms of his game and practice habits, he has a good work ethic and doesn't take plays off. While all coaches are going to say good things about their players, I would expect that Linehan's relationship with Saban in Miami would be such that he could get a candid response (remember Saban coached LSU before taking the Miami job, and Linehan was Saban's OC last year). I'm sure the interviews were taken into account as well. The impression I get is that it was something he did without really thinking about the consequences, and now that he sees what a serious issue this could be for his career, he's going to think twice before doing it again.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Right now the perfect example everyone in the NFL can refer to is the unraveling career of Ricky Weed Williams.

Those types of mistakes are nothing new, they occur in every professional sports environment, sadly. But the NFL is doing its job and players are listening, especially --or shall we say, hopefully -- the rookies!

Steroids in the MBL, etc., etc., etc. No, not here, not now! Wroten will be coached well and listen with wide open ears, with a sincere mind. He's young enough to prepare for a successful future within an organization that in general is clean and committed...

Let's welcome Wroten to The St. Louis RRRRAMS!

tanus is offline Registered User

who didnt smoke weed in college? lol

Tony Soprano Guest

I've been reading a lot on Wroten, and it seems many teams took the guy off their draft list after interviews. It was reported that teams felt that Wroten was "Phony" in interviews.

However, I was hard pressed to find any assessments that didn't have the guy (talent-wise) as a First round pick. When evaluating his play, he was a consensus first round pick. One analysis even said that he was in need of a Buddy Ryan. He doesn't like to work out, but if a "Buddy Ryan" type motivates him - WATCH OUT.

Seems he has always been able to get by on his natural playing ability.

I wonder if they're thinking Haslett can be that "Buddy Ryan"?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with goldenfleece on this. Linehans relationship with saban and the coaching staff at lsu means he gets a 100% candid response. These guys are professional associates, they arent going to mislead each other for the sake of some 21 year old kid. They have a LOT more invested in the relationship with each other. Its not the same thing as a frank beamer letter to all teams about jimmy williams because i agree in that case it doesnt mean all that much.

To me, the big issue here is risk vs. reward. If this was a first round pick i would be irate. A second round pick iffy. But what amounted to a free third round pick for a first round talent is worth the risk to me. Even if he craps out, i wont criticize the pick. I think we got the guy we wanted in ty hill and if wroten can play ball as advertised, the upside is worth the risk at that point in the draft.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramstiles is offline Registered User

yeah I agree with Fleece and GC I thought I read that he spoke with other coaches at miami that he said were good friends of his and had coached at LSU they are not gonna lie to their good friends so give him a chance I don't think we can loose.
    Look at Incognito he had problems coming out of college and with nothing to do except rehab he appears to have stayed out of trouble I know they had different problems but the FO have done their homework give them a chance why are lots of people getting on wrotten's case before he's had a chance

chiguy is offline Registered User

The operative case here is not Ricky Williams, by the way, because he was selected first overall and developed his penchant for smoking dope *after* he had achieved success in the NFL. The analogy that comes closer in my mind is Warren Sapp, a clear top five pick who fell to the Bucs because he got nailed for a little dope smoking. He's managed to keep it together.

Its not cocaine (or a similarly addictive drug) and it's not a psychological disorder (think Barret Robbins, Ron Artest). Those two facts increase the chance that Wroten cleans himself up. It doesn't mean he will, but it means the chance that he does is somewhat higher than what you might usually expect for a guy with off-the-field concerns.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

"He without sin cast the first stone."

I'm not a judge, just a fan. I'm lucky in my opinion that I can seperate who I root for to who I care for. Not saying I don't care about the Rams, but I don't lay awake at night wondering if Wroten is going to wake up and bake up.

general counsel is offline Registered User

"Wake up and Bake up" Fascinating use of phrase Tx. Did you pick that up hanging out with nate newton in austin?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast