Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Clemens has to be benched

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Clemens has to be benched

One person or one mistake did not lose the game for us yesterday. Two costly fumbles, a missed field goal, and inconsistentcy on DEF is what lost the game. We're a young team, so things like that are going to happen more often than not. With Sam, we had a chance to overcome those issues. Without Sam, we don't.

Notice I did not say with Kellen or Davis. There is no other QB on our current roster that has the ability to overcome the teams mistakes and provide a win. At least not consistently.
    bradwill likes this.

This space for rent...

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    One person or one mistake did not lose the game for us yesterday. Two costly fumbles, a missed field goal, and inconsistentcy on DEF is what lost the game. We're a young team, so things like that are going to happen more often than not. With Sam, we had a chance to overcome those issues. Without Sam, we don't.

Notice I did not say with Kellen or Davis. There is no other QB on our current roster that has the ability to overcome the teams mistakes and provide a win. At least not consistently.
    You are that confident in what little we have seen of Davis that he is incapable of being better than Clemens because im not. Remember they were both equally as dreadful in pre-season behind the second stringers. So what is there to suggest that a younger Davis couldnt perform behind the starters with a good running game?
    Just Fix It

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Your post seems as though you got to our season is lost and stopped reading. I have not blamed Kellen for anything. I am simply stating that I would like to see Davis given a shot with the starters. He has been in this system other than going to Miami after pre-season. Yes our season is lost and if you think otherwise your fooling yourself. Clemens also knew this offense in New York and lost the job to Sanchez. My point is what does it hurt to see what Davis has? I too prefer Sam and have to say Sam would have thrown a td vs the Seahawks there is no doubt in my mind. Like I said I'm not blaming Kellen but what good is he really doing? He's 30 years old with zero upside. How about we give a guy who is 24 in his 3rd year a shot in real game action. If Davis sucks at least we know but everyone thought Warner sucked before he took over. Everyone thought Brady was just a back up when he took over for Bledsoe. I'm not saying Davis is either of those but if all he ever gets is snaps in pre-season no one will ever know. Like I said i'm not blaming Kellen for anything. He has been serviceable, but I would have to think Davis would be just as serviceable and has a potential upside. Kellen isnt to blame in either of the last two games however the ball was in his hands with a chance to win one game and tie another and we got what you would expect from a career back up, two losses.
    The thread title is "Clemens has to be benched" - I was responding in part to the many who do blame Kellen. With regard to Kellen, I still maintain he gives us the best chance to win right now. That said, I won't be laying any heavy bets on the Rams for a while.

If the Rams continue to lose and it becomes obvious that we will not make the playoffs, I am pretty sure Davis or Brady or both will get a look. With Sam down, Austin is the #2, and Brady #3. I agree that a backup young guy offers more upside than a 30 year old backup, but for now I still prefer Clemens because of his knowledge of the offense. He's made some bad throws - yes - he also has made some very good throws.

If Fish decides to start Davis, I am not going to be bummed, that's for sure. Brady? Not too sure about him. Doubt he gets the nod unless Clemens and Davis both go down.

thoey is offline Registered User

You are that confident in what little we have seen of Davis that he is incapable of being better than Clemens because im not. Remember they were both equally as dreadful in pre-season behind the second stringers. So what is there to suggest that a younger Davis couldnt perform behind the starters with a good running game?
    What I am confident in is that Fisher and company want to win as much, if not more than the fans want to. I am also confident that their judge of talent, though maybe not perfect, is better than mine and probably most fans. If they feel that we have the best chance to win with KC at the helm, while I may have an opinion, it doesn't matter...
    MauiRam likes this.
    This space for rent...

Golden Ram is offline Registered User

THIS^^^
    Davis actually performed better than Clemens in the pre-season, although neither were standouts behind the #2s and 3s. Coaches (Schotty) felt more comfortable because the Veteran Backup Clemens knew the offense...
    If Trent Green had not been injured would we have ever seen Kurt Warner?
    Warner spent the 1998 season as St. Louis's third-string quarterback behind Tony Banks and Steve Bono. He ended his season completing only 4 of 11 pass attempts for 39 yards and a 47.2 QB rating. When given the chance, that turned out pretty well....
    No one would probably know who Brett Favre was if Don Majkowski had not gotten injured. The Pack thought their season was over at hat point. What I do know is that if we don't give Davis a shot, we will never know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234