Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Clemens 'Ready To Rock And Roll' As Rams' QB

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Clemens 'Ready To Rock And Roll' As Rams' QB

Clemens 'ready to rock and roll' as Rams' QB

12 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com

Kellen Clemens knows the drill by now. This isn’t the first time he’s had to step in for an injured quarterback during his eight NFL seasons. Nor is it the first time he’s had to step in for an injured Sam Bradford.

“You know what’s crazy is that my first game ever as a member of the St. Louis Rams was against the Seattle Seahawks on ‘Monday Night Football,’” Clemens said.

That was December 12, 2011. Clemens, who was signed with the Rams just five days earlier, didn’t play that day. But he started the final three games of the year with Bradford sidelined by a high ankle sprain.

Now, with Bradford done for the season with a torn ACL in his left knee, Clemens starts Monday’s contest against the Seahawks at the Edward Jones Dome.

“That’s your role as the backup,” Clemens said. “You’re the emergency plan that nobody really hopes gets used. But that’s the situation that we’re in.

“I’ve been in this offense for quite a while. I know the ins and outs. I think I have a pretty good rapport with most of my teammates. You’d have to confirm that with them. But I’m ready to play.”

Clemens, 30, is liked and respected in the locker room. He has what one former NFL personnel executive would say is a little cayenne pepper in him. In other words, he can be feisty and emotional. He is tough and smart and has good leadership qualities.

Does he have the type of play-in, play-out accuracy you need in a starting-caliber NFL quarterback? No. His 51.9 career completion percentage would attest to that. Does he always get the ball out as quickly as you’d like? No.

But he will fight and scrap and scramble. And he will have to hold down the fort for at least the near future if not the final nine games of 2013.

“Well, the fort’s gonna have to be held for quite a while,” Clemens said. “I have a lot of faith in my own abilities to play the position. I’ve worked really hard for the last several years. And I’ve got some experience. This won’t be my first game. So I’m excited for the opportunity and excited first and foremost by the way my teammates have responded the last (couple of days).”

Clemens spent his first five NFL seasons with the New York Jets, who selected him in the second round of the 2006 draft out of Oregon. He saw his most action in 2007 when he played in 10 games, starting eight, and throwing for 1,529 yards with five touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He completed 130 of 250 attempts that year, completing 52 percent of his throws.

In the 5½ seasons since ’07, Clemens has started only four games and thrown only 137 passes, with 91 of those 137 coming in the three starts for the Rams in 2011. The Rams lost 20-13 to Cincinnati, 27-0 at Pittsburgh and 34-27 to San Francisco in those starts.

“Kellen is great in the building,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “On the field, he does a great job. His former role was to help the defense get ready, and then support (Sam) and be ready in the event that he needed to play.

“So he prepares himself. He has a really good understanding of this offense. He’s kind of a gunslinger, he’s gonna run around and just make plays. He’s a tough guy and he’s a great teammate.”

When Fisher talked about Clemens helping the defense get ready, that was as quarterback of the scout team, which runs the plays of that week’s opposing offense. With only so many reps to go around during the practice week, that means Clemens has gotten very little work with the starting offense since the end of training camp and the preseason.

In the short term, that means the biggest challenge for Clemens is getting in sync with the starting skill players on offense.

“There’s so limited reps over the course of the week that when the first-string wide receivers, first-string tight ends are out there, Sam is throwing to them,” Clemens said. “It has been that way over the last several weeks.”

Obviously, that changes this week. Or as Clemens said with a straight face: “I’ll probably get more reps this week than I did last week, (that) would be my guess.”

Nonetheless, some of the chemistry with the receivers must be forged with the help of conversation, time in the meeting room, and walk-throughs.

“Because at this level you can’t run guys’ legs into the ground,” Clemens said, “you have to be conscious of that, and we will be this week.”

The task couldn’t be tougher Monday. Seattle brings the No. 2-ranked defense into town, as well as the NFL’s second-ranked passing defense. The Seahawks also are second in the league in interceptions (11). Led by cornerback Richard Sherman, they have big, physical corners as well as big-hitting safeties.

Be that as it may, Clemens said, “Somebody’s got to play (quarterback), so we’ll go out there and do the best job that we can and still try to help this football team win some games. ... We’ll be ready to rock and roll on Monday night.”

Leave it to defensive end Chris Long to go “Dick Vermeil” on the situation. “We’re going to rally around Kellen and move forward,” Long said. “Everybody on this team needs to just step it up and bring that little extra to the table right now.”

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Clemens 'Ready To Rock And Roll' As Rams' QB

Bernie Kosar isn't pleased.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Although I'm not very confident in Clemens' ability, I do admire his tenacity and attitude. I'm really hoping, as Chris Long alluded to, that the team as a whole step up and take the pressure off of Clemens so he doesn't have to be depended on to do too much.

After getting over my depression and despair the last few days, I'm actually looking forward to Monday night, and seeing how the team comes out after the loss of their leader, and an emotional battle against Carolina.
    Jonze likes this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

get the ball in Tavon Austin hands in space!!
    Jonze likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

(Pollyanna here)...

Looking forward to this game as well.

I'm thinking (hoping), Clemons may have a good rapport with Quick, and I know he will with Bailey, who I think should be given a shot or two. (Coaches probably know better however).

10 1/2 point home dogs, in a division game. Wow. Should be interesting.

I think everyone assumes Clemons is basically static in his development, (a reasonable view), but it could also be that he has learned as well over th the last year and a half. We'll see.

He didn't have anyone to throw to before either.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

A nice article, but I'm unconvinced it will lead to productive, positively distinguished quarterback play.

I hope I'm wrong.
    laram0 likes this.

emuen is offline Registered User

Kellen Clemens isn't as bad as the pre-season might have indicated. He (and Davis) stood behind some of the worst O-line depth in the league. Pressure in his face from the second the snap hits his hands. The Rams have a solid starting o-line for him to play behind, and it has become better over the last few weeks.

And we still got the same offensive scheme in place. Bradford threw 42 passes that didn't make it past the line of scrimmage doing the first four weeks (don't have the stats for the other games). You don't need a 86 million dollar QB to make throws like that. And we still got Givens and Austins speed to help try and keep men out of the box. Of course Clemens will need to show that he can hit them downfield, but it isn't like our deep ball have been impressive this season up to this point (under throws, tripping TEs and drops).

Is he as good as Bradford? No. But if the running game keeps improving and the D gets back to where it was a year ago, then he don't need to be, to help get us some wins.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Let's hope for the best guys. Maybe this situation will galvanize the Rams team as a whole!!!!!!!!!!

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

lets hope he doesn't end up getting rolled like a rock when he plays
    Last edited by RAM29JACKSON; -10-23-2013 at 05:06 PM.

citr92 is offline Registered User

i'm pumped for monday night, probably left over pissed off energy from last sunday

i'm sure the players feel something similar, and it's the seahawks

believe it or not i feel confident that the rams are not going to just get the crap kicked out of them, carolina was a game where nothing went right

i mean they still drove close enough to score, it just didn't happen and then all the other events that happened didn't help either

this one's for sam

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

As sad as this is to say, I really hope Brady Quinn starts the rest of the way.

THE DREAM TEAM

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Clemens
    “I’ve been in this offense for quite a while. I know the ins and outs. I think I have a pretty good rapport with most of my teammates. You’d have to confirm that with them. But I’m ready to play. I have a lot of faith in my own abilities to play the position. I’ve worked really hard for the last several years. And I’ve got some experience. This won’t be my first game. So I’m excited for the opportunity and excited first and foremost by the way my teammates have responded the last (couple of days).”
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fisher
    “Kellen is great in the building,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “On the field, he does a great job. He has a really good understanding of this offense. He’s kind of a gunslinger, he’s gonna run around and just make plays.”

Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -10-23-2013 at 06:07 PM.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    skeptical of....

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    As sad as this is to say, I really hope Brady Quinn starts the rest of the way.
    come on sosa.....what the hell!!! Give the guy a chance. Quinn is not the answer.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rams OL has got to be ready to rock too! The Rams Rolling Quintet.

Last edited by RealRam; -10-24-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Ram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast