Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cleveland Holds Key To Rams Draft Plan

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Cleveland Holds Key To Rams Draft Plan

It's ironic, that the team the Rams spurned in trading the #2 overall pick with the Redskins, now holds the Rams plans in their hands on draft day. What makes the story even juicier, is that Browns President Mike Holmgren whined publicly about the Rams decision.

Now add the fact that Holmgren just told his fan base that they are stuck with Colt McCoy, and you have the makings of some real intrigue.

In the end, barring a free agent addition of note at quarterback, Holmgren is painted into a corner to draft a passer, and not another second round talent. That means Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill. Even in the Browns think they maybe could trade down just a bit and get him still, they can't risk the Rams trading with Miami at #6.

So Holmgren is stuck at #4 and stuck with a huge need at QB, in a three QB draft, blue chip wise. and heck, I think a big guy that was solid receiver might be a better fit in Cleveland than a flashy super smart man such as Griffin, a terrific fit for the NFL, in Washington.

Mike can't go with McCoy and have his fan base watching Roethlisberger, Dalton, and Flacco beat their team year after year.

He'll look at his division, and see that adding receioing to win in the North, not as long as the Steelers and Ravens are in it. Those teams don't seem to stress the receiver position, perhaps knowing that they play outside, in the winter, in that division.

He could take Richardson 4th, and hope that the QB they take in round two, Kirk Cousins, is a 1st round talent.

All this makes me think the Rams will be sitting at #6 with thre three QBs, and tackle Ryan Kalil all off the board, and Tampa Bay on the clock.

They could trade out perhaps, to a team wanting CB Morris Claiborne or RB Trent Richardson, or even WR Justin Blackmon, but unless Miami really wants Richardson, I don't see the Bucs going way down.

I think they will take Richardson, with Claiborne an outside shot.

So... The Rams have the choice of Blackmon and either Richardson or Claiborne.

Clearly, the only way this team is ever gonna get a true #1 receiver for Sam Bradford, it's this pick, this year, so you have to resist taking Claiborne, by far the best defensive player on the board, and Richardson, to get Blackmon.

Barry Waller

harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Cleveland Holds Key To Rams Draft Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    It's ironic, that the team the Rams spurned in trading the #2 overall pick with the Redskins, now holds the Rams plans in their hands on draft day. What makes the story even juicier, is that Browns President Mike Holmgren whined publicly about the Rams decision.

Now add the fact that Holmgren just told his fan base that they are stuck with Colt McCoy, and you have the makings of some real intrigue.

In the end, barring a free agent addition of note at quarterback, Holmgren is painted into a corner to draft a passer, and not another second round talent. That means Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill. Even in the Browns think they maybe could trade down just a bit and get him still, they can't risk the Rams trading with Miami at #6.

So Holmgren is stuck at #4 and stuck with a huge need at QB, in a three QB draft, blue chip wise. and heck, I think a big guy that was solid receiver might be a better fit in Cleveland than a flashy super smart man such as Griffin, a terrific fit for the NFL, in Washington.

Mike can't go with McCoy and have his fan base watching Roethlisberger, Dalton, and Flacco beat their team year after year.

He'll look at his division, and see that adding receioing to win in the North, not as long as the Steelers and Ravens are in it. Those teams don't seem to stress the receiver position, perhaps knowing that they play outside, in the winter, in that division.

He could take Richardson 4th, and hope that the QB they take in round two, Kirk Cousins, is a 1st round talent.

All this makes me think the Rams will be sitting at #6 with thre three QBs, and tackle Ryan Kalil all off the board, and Tampa Bay on the clock.

They could trade out perhaps, to a team wanting CB Morris Claiborne or RB Trent Richardson, or even WR Justin Blackmon, but unless Miami really wants Richardson, I don't see the Bucs going way down.

I think they will take Richardson, with Claiborne an outside shot.

So... The Rams have the choice of Blackmon and either Richardson or Claiborne.

Clearly, the only way this team is ever gonna get a true #1 receiver for Sam Bradford, it's this pick, this year, so you have to resist taking Claiborne, by far the best defensive player on the board, and Richardson, to get Blackmon.
    The only way they ever get a true #1 receiver is this pick this year? Why would you say that?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I don't think Cleveland has any more influence on our pick than Minnesota or Tampa Bay does really. Any one of them can take Blackmon or trade with someone who will. And all this is assuming that everyone thinks Blackmon is the only receiver worth picking in this draft, which is crazy talk. He might be the best (depending on who you ask) but there is at least one or two more the Rams can hope for.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I don't know about Blackmon, if we were that high on him, if he were a consensus top pick, I'd have expected to see a little more hesitation on our part regarding trading down to 6 as opposed to 4, despite the bounty offered ( no pun intended ). In that scenario, we take one 2nd rnd pick less (if reports are to be believed that was the difference between Was and Cle), trade down to 4th pick up the 22nd and one more 1st next year and take Blackmon.

We didn't and so I'm wondering whether, even if he is available at 6, we take him because we're not entirely sold that he is the guy at that pick this year.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

If Blackmon is there at #6 we would be crazy to not draft him.We need a true stud WR that will command a double team eventually and help Bradford for years.Im tired of 2nd tier WR's all over our team.Claiborne is nice but with the signing of claiborne i dont think its as necessary to draft a CB with the 6th overall pick while we still dont have a solid WR.Hopefully the FO sees Blackmon as a good pick at 6 and if hes there i rlly hope we pick him up,if not it better be for Claiborne while i will be mad i can understand,Claiborne and Finnegan would be a nice combo in a couple years.But if we take Trent i will be incredibly pissed.....

rampower is offline Registered User

It's this pick this year because we never know when we will pick this high again, who will be out there when we do. Secant not give Sam B no talent, again.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

>>>don't think Cleveland has any more influence on our pick than Minnesota or Tampa Bay does really. Any one of them can take Blackmon or trade with someone who will. And all this is assuming that everyone thinks Blackmon is the only receiver worth picking in this draft, which is crazy talk. He might be the best (depending on who you ask) but there is at least one or two more the Rams can hope for. >>

Really? You do know Minnesota is gonna take Kalil , right, so their young QB doesn't get killed? That picks about as big a lock as the two QB

As far as Tampa Bay, they just spent a fortune of a WR and had another one Mike Williams, already there. SO they aren't gonna take Blackmon, and I don't see then trading out of the top 6, unless a team deals up for Tannehill and offers a ton.

Tampa Bay will take Richardson or Claiborne, again neither one would change the Rams draft plans at #6.

And yes, there are options in round two, but the gap between Blackmon and that group in terms of risk and potential and immediate impacty is huge.

The Cleveland pick is the difference maker for the Rams, and I stand by that statement. If they take Blackmon, it changes everything that happens at #6. If they take Tannehill or Richardson, it's a good bet that the Rams get their WR, and I bet most here would put money on it. .
    Barry Waller

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Cleveland does hold our destiny with blackmon imo. They will go blackmon or richardson but as of right now they need a rb, so we have to pay attention in FAgency to see what they do. I dont see them drafting tannehill that early but he hasnt had a pro day yet so we will see.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    It's this pick this year because we never know when we will pick this high again, who will be out there when we do. Secant not give Sam B no talent, again.
    We have had in the last three years three 2nd overall picks and one 1st overall pick in the last 5 years.

Looking at the Redskins over the last 10 years they have had more the a few top tens picks... we now have their next two first rd picks...

Chances are we will have another high draft pick one way or another.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I don't know about Blackmon, if we were that high on him, if he were a consensus top pick, I'd have expected to see a little more hesitation on our part regarding trading down to 6 as opposed to 4, despite the bounty offered ( no pun intended ). In that scenario, we take one 2nd rnd pick less (if reports are to be believed that was the difference between Was and Cle), trade down to 4th pick up the 22nd and one more 1st next year and take Blackmon.

We didn't and so I'm wondering whether, even if he is available at 6, we take him because we're not entirely sold that he is the guy at that pick this year.
    I have to wonder, also. Because about 2 minutes after the trade with Washington, I questioned why we didn't trade with Cleveland- who for all intents and purposes would have AT LEAST given us this year's #4 and #22, plus whatever else les Snead could have engineered. I still wonder why we didn't, the nice haul we collected from Washington notwithstanding.

I still think Blackmon is the guy we need to pick. To me it's a no-brainer. We need playmakers. We need a big offensive weapon for Sam. Our offense last season was a complete joke. We just signed a pro-bowl center and can address other O-line needs later in the draft. You can't draft a receiver in the 4th or 5th round and count on him becoming a game breaker.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have to wonder, also. Because about 2 minutes after the trade with Washington, I questioned why we didn't trade with Cleveland- who for all intents and purposes would have AT LEAST given us this year's #4 and #22, plus whatever else les Snead could have engineered. I still wonder why we didn't, the nice haul we collected from Washington notwithstanding.

I still think Blackmon is the guy we need to pick. To me it's a no-brainer. We need playmakers. We need a big offensive weapon for Sam. Our offense last season was a complete joke. We just signed a pro-bowl center and can address other O-line needs later in the draft. You can't draft a receiver in the 4th or 5th round and count on him becoming a game breaker.
    You might be right NJ I have read they just are not that high on Blackmon.

If Blackmon was off the board or the Rams just take a pass on him there are still options to make this team better IMO.

Rams take at 6 Trent Richardson and then move back into the first RD and take Michael Floyd or Kendall Wright late in round Rd one.

Or

Rams take at 6 Trent Richardson and take Alshon Jeffery or Stephen Hill in the second RD.

I still feel good about the trade even if we miss on Blackmon we have options to add playmakers. When we look back on this draft, I'm sure they will be more then one WR that has a great career we just need to find that other guy IMO.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-18-2012 at 11:56 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I have to wonder, also. Because about 2 minutes after the trade with Washington, I questioned why we didn't trade with Cleveland- who for all intents and purposes would have AT LEAST given us this year's #4 and #22, plus whatever else les Snead could have engineered. I still wonder why we didn't, the nice haul we collected from Washington notwithstanding..
    When the trade with the Redskins was finalised, Cleveland hadn't made an offer that bettered it. It's thought they were trying to avoid including the #22.

Holmgren's assertions that the Browns made an offer that was better than the Skins did is apparently not true according to Rams sources. Many expect he is just pandering to Brown's season ticker holders to stop them being annoyed at him for failing to pull off the trade.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Cleveland does hold our destiny with blackmon imo. They will go blackmon or richardson but as of right now they need a rb, so we have to pay attention in FAgency to see what they do. I dont see them drafting tannehill that early but he hasnt had a pro day yet so we will see.
    I tend to agree. If the draft were today, Richardson would probably be the choice for the Browns. He seems to be more solidly established as a legit top 5 prospect than Blackmon is. Not to say that Blackmon isn't one of the top 6 players in this draft, but his triangle numbers (size-speed-strength) don't jump off the page. If they're looking to take pressure off Colt McCoy, it still might make more sense to do so by establishing the run to set up the pass than drafting a new receiver. You just don't see them going into the new season with Hardesty and Ogbonnaya time-sharing the position. Of course, things could change before draft day.

Could they go for Tannehill? Maybe, but surely they'd prefer to trade back if that were the case.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    If Blackmon is there at #6 we would be crazy to not draft him.We need a true stud WR that will command a double team eventually and help Bradford for years.Im tired of 2nd tier WR's all over our team.Claiborne is nice but with the signing of claiborne i dont think its as necessary to draft a CB with the 6th overall pick while we still dont have a solid WR.Hopefully the FO sees Blackmon as a good pick at 6 and if hes there i rlly hope we pick him up,if not it better be for Claiborne while i will be mad i can understand,Claiborne and Finnegan would be a nice combo in a couple years.But if we take Trent i will be incredibly pissed.....
    If Claiborne is as advertised, I'd take him over Blackmon if they were both there at 6 (virtually impossible), particularly if the Fortuniners sign Peyton Manning.

If that happens, we'll need shut down corners on both sides of the field and in the middle.

Besides in this rebuilding process, I'm thinking Jeff Fisher will be more likely to solidify the defense first anyway.
    Rambos likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I like the idea of Blackmon at WR, but also like the potential of Hill, and think Hunter could be had later than he should because of his mistake in the 40 yard dash at the combine. Floyd is a good option if we trade down in the first

However, I think Claiborne is far and away the best corner on the board, and pairing him with Finnegan would be fantastic
    Last edited by tomahawk247; -03-18-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Rambos likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast