viper is offline Registered User

Clock Management

In the last 3 minutes of the game our defense miraculously recovered another forced fumble with the opponent driving inside our red zone. On our last drive the Rams throw long to Torry Holt for a 67 yard touchdown. In doing so they left enough time on the clock for the Seahawks to mount a drive to win with a field goal with 4 seconds on the clock.

Should we have thrown that long pass leaving so much time on the clock or should we have tried to milk the clock in a more methodical manner?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Clock Management

I say you go for that bomb if it's there and count on your defense to do its job.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

When we are that far down the field, you always take the shot if it's there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

We were down by 6 at that point and needed a touchdown within 2 minutes and anytime you can make a 66 yard play like that, you go for it no matter how much time is left for the other team. You should play to win and not try to stall in that situation since an opportunity like that might have never come if we decided to milk some time. That was one decision on which I thought that we made the correct call.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

In that situation, you think score first with time management an afterthought. Tyring to purposely manipulate the clock when you're behind is a risky business.

viper is offline Registered User

I'd have to agree, if the long pass is there you have to take it. Especially, under the circumstances of being down by six. Chances are if Holt would have been tackled by Tatupu we could have still had an opportunity to work the clock.

It just seems to me that there would be a school of thought out there that would have tried a more methodical time killing drive. I think that may have been a viable option as well.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

You got to score no matter how much time is left. If you methodically march down the field and skip on a scoring opportunity, you might not get that opportunity again. You score and then hand it over your defense. Unfortunately on this day, our defense let Seattle quickly get down the field and kick the winning field goal.
    Sprtsmac :football: