• 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By THOLTFAN81

Thread: Clock's ticking: No meeting yet between Jackson, Rams/PD

RamBill is offline Registered User

Clock's ticking: No meeting yet between Jackson, Rams/PD

Clock's ticking: No meeting yet between Jackson, Rams
    • By Jim Thomas

Clock's ticking: No meeting yet between Jackson, Rams : Sports

Although talks continue between both parties, the planned meeting between the Rams and running back Steven Jackson’s agent have yet to take place.

Jackson has until the start of free agency March 12, now less than a month away, to decide whether to void the final year of his contract. If he voids, Jackson becomes a free agent.

Jackson said four weeks ago on the NFL Network that the parties would sit down in February.

“We’re going to talk about my possibilities, where I want to go, and does it fit?” Jackson said at the time. “I believe we’ll get everything resolved before March.”

Well, February is half gone, but sources familiar with the negotiations say the meeting could take place at the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine, Feb. 20-26 in Indianapolis. The combine is an annual meeting place for talks between agents and teams anyway.

The Rams have consistently said that they want Jackson back in 2013. But his scheduled base salary of $7 million in 2013 (if he doesn’t void) would be tough to take for the cap-strapped Rams. They are currently a couple of million dollars over the projected salary cap ceiling for 2013.

The most likely scenario is that Jackson voids the contract, tests the market, but the Rams continue to negotiate with him for a lower number than $7 million.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: Clock's ticking: No meeting yet between Jackson, Rams/PD

And in other news, the sun will go down this evening, and rise again tomorrow.

If it doesn't, and your here to witness it, just say no to the beast and endure to the end.

gap
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

The problem I see with keeping him is that I dont think he would willingly take a pay cut. I mean if you were him, would you? Think about the time he's put into the Rams and the loyalty/productiveness for such an awful team. No one on the Rams is more deserving than him. 7 million isnt an unfair amount of money to give a leader like himself who demands respect from opposing defenses. Yea he might be 30, but that doesnt automatically mean hes destined to drop off this year. He's an animal and I wouldnt be suprised if he had 2-3 more productive years in the NFL.

I'd be shocked to see him take a paycut.

However, he's about the classiest pro I've seen in STL, so anythings possible.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    The problem I see with keeping him is that I dont think he would willingly take a pay cut. I mean if you were him, would you? Think about the time he's put into the Rams and the loyalty/productiveness for such an awful team. No one on the Rams is more deserving than him. 7 million isnt an unfair amount of money to give a leader like himself who demands respect from opposing defenses. Yea he might be 30, but that doesnt automatically mean hes destined to drop off this year. He's an animal and I wouldnt be suprised if he had 2-3 more productive years in the NFL.

I'd be shocked to see him take a paycut.

That's why the last part of the article is important. Jackson will find out he will get nowhere near 7M from another team. And even with all he's done it's still a buisness. Seeing the smart man he is I'm guessing he knows that. In the end if he doesn't retire I see him coming back for a 2 year contract with incentives.

general counsel is offline Registered User

As others have alluded to, the issue really isn't whether he will take a pay cut, it's two fold. First, is he willing to agree to a dollar amount that works for him and the Rams based on his agent's "best guess" of what he would get in the open market and second, does he want to take less than what the open market would pay him after he opts out and shops around. The money is relative to what others are willing to pay him, not to the 7 million that his contract provides for today.

Said another way, the question is will Jackson give the Rams a discount, perceived or otherwise. If the Rams view of market is close to what another team thinks, i think there is a very good chance he is back. However, if he tests the market and a contending team (ie the falcons) offers him materially more than the Rams will pay, i dont think the odds are all that great of him returning. I dont see jackson leaving just for money, it would most likely be to a contending team that is also willing to pay him more than the rams are prepared to pay him'

My best guess, and i admit its with my heart as much or more than my head, is that he is back. I think it would be a material step backwards to lose him at this point, he has plenty of great football left and is a terrific team leader. Losing jackson to overpay in free agency for another aging star doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There comes a time when teams must part with their long-time stars, no matter how good they've been and no matter how much they've meant to the franchise. History tells us as such. Greater players than Jackson have been traded or released from the teams with whom they've spent their entire career.

It is asking a lot to expect Jackson to a) take a significant pay cut and b) resign himself to a diminishing role as the season progresses to whomever his replacement will be. Only he can answer those questions. For the Rams part, they cannot afford to let sentiment get in the way of a good business decision, and given Fisher's track record, I'm sure they won't. The Rams need to target Jackson's replacement and do so immediately.
    macrammer likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Think about the time he's put into the Rams and the loyalty/productiveness for such an awful team. No one on the Rams is more deserving than him... Yea he might be 30, but that doesnt automatically mean hes destined to drop off this year. He's an animal and I wouldnt be suprised if he had 2-3 more productive years in the NFL...

Financials aside, can you imagine SJax going to a team with a stellar offensive line and getting the rushing title? It would be amazing to see and I think he deserves that type of outcome. The Steelers did it for the Bus and Ravens for Ray Lewis, too bad we can't do it for him. All the best for SJax!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    There comes a time when teams must part with their long-time stars, no matter how good they've been and no matter how much they've meant to the franchise. History tells us as such. Greater players than Jackson have been traded or released from the teams with whom they've spent their entire career.

It is asking a lot to expect Jackson to a) take a significant pay cut and b) resign himself to a diminishing role as the season progresses to whomever his replacement will be. Only he can answer those questions. For the Rams part, they cannot afford to let sentiment get in the way of a good business decision, and given Fisher's track record, I'm sure they won't. The Rams need to target Jackson's replacement and do so immediately.
    I want Sj to stay a Ram....just like I did with Isaac, Torry.......etc......

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I want Sj to stay a Ram....just like I did with Isaac, Torry.......etc......

A part of me does too... Jackson has been a warrior, and it is a shame we haven't given him a taste of the playoffs. At the same time, we can't hold ourselves hostage to the past. Perfect world: he agrees to the pay cut and diminished role to a guy we draft to be his replacement. I just think it's not very likely.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -02-15-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    A part of me does too... Jackson has been a warrior, and it is a shame we haven't given him a taste of the playoffs. At the same time, we can't hold ourselves hostage to the past. Perfect world: he agrees to the pay cut and diminished roleto a guy we drsft to be his replacement. I just think it's not very likely.
    Completely agree. We need to start operating like the Packers & Patriots. Though cut throat to their veterans, their success year after year is no mistake. Just today the Packers released Woodson. Rather than overpay an aging player for the nostalgia it brings and all they've done, they employ a business decision of "We appreciate all you've done, but it's time to move on." I love Jack, but if it comes down to say signing Jack or using the money on a Jennings or someone I'll pick Jennings every time.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.