Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

THe Coach and Ike speak 7-29-07

Head Coach Scott Linehan

July 29, 2006

(On today’s practice and the effects of the heat)

“Our guys managed it very well. I feel very good about how they pushed themselves through it. I thought it was our best full, intense practice of camp. We kept our intensity from start to finish and that’s what’s really, really important at this time. You can’t get caught up on the success or lack of success on either side of the ball as long as we’re sound and we’re playing through it and playing tough. That’s all we can ask (for) right now.”

(On why DT La’Roi Glover didn’t practice)

“He dropped too much weight last practice. He got it back to where he was probably medically cleared, it just didn’t make sense. You’ve got to manage the guys that have extreme weight loss. He does it every year. He’s a guy that sweats a lot and loses a lot of water weight. He’s had three good practices. He probably still lost weight out there coaching the young guys and trying to help. We just wanted to give him a break.”

(On getting acclimated to the training camp schedule)

“We’re on schedule now, everybody, coaches, players and everyone in the building. I think it’s a relief because now we can get into our routine and dig our heels in.”

(On the intensity of training camp thus far)

“It’s getting better. You always have to push the intensity, especially in the dog days, the two-a-days. I see a lot of the players doing it themselves. I always talk about policing yourself. I’d rather have them discipline themselves so others don’t have to. They do a very good job of that.”

(On Claude Terrell’s place on the depth chart)

“I think it’s pretty simple. He has to play well. He’s a big fella and conditioning can be an issue for a guy that competes at the highest level. He dropped his weight from where he was in the offseason, so he’s making positive progress there. He had a wrist injury that was nagging, so he fell behind in that area because he wasn’t able to practice. He’s come out here and showing why we were pretty impressed with how he played last year as a rookie.”

(On DB OJ Atogwe’s potential as a FS)

“One of the benefits we have, especially with having a veteran defensive staff, is that (OJ) was evaluated by everybody in the league last year. You can only pick so many (defensive backs), we had 10, but I’m sure we all had a pretty good grade on OJ at that time. The problem was that he didn’t play (last year), so he wasn’t evaluated off of playing last year, but more off of his potential and how he played as a college player. He fits all of the characteristics in a free safety. He has great size and range and toughness and I think his ball skills are very good. You’ve got a guy back there, a centerfielder. If they throw one up, you want to be able to catch it. He’s a physical guy. He was one of the guys I was talking about the other night. He and Steven (Jackson) had such a collision I wasn’t sure if either one of them was going to get up. He’s got everything it takes, he just doesn’t have experience.”

(On the battle at tight end)

“They’re all young guys. I’m reserving my judgment there until we get to them starting to play consistently over time. I think the two young draft picks have definitely shown why we drafted them where we did. We’re very happy with all the tight ends. It’s too early to say who’s going to rise to the top when you start playing games and scrimmaging for real, but none of them are down, so that’s a good sign.”

(On how hard it is not to judge a player this early in camp)

“I think coaches are all guilty of falling under that quick judgment problem. I’m guilty of it at times. We’re still installing quite a bit on both sides of the ball. We’re trying to establish roles for guys, so you start now to try to find out what guys do well and try to maximize what they do well as far as the roles they play. If a guy’s not getting enough opportunities, it’s a good time to try to find spots for him. If a guy’s not showing up right now, there’s still time for him to move to another position or used in a certain personnel grouping or scheme. So I really think it’s too early (to judge a player).”

(On his special teams philosophy)

“We have a team philosophy – offense, defense and special teams. We want to be aggressive, but not at the expense of being sound. Personnel wise, we’re going to have a lot of our front line guys playing on special teams as much as they can. Not to the extent of hurting their ability to play well, offensively or defensively, but if we don’t play well on special teams, it’s not going to do us any good to rest those guys on offense and defense. So we’re establishing roles there with not only our starters, but some of our key backups. There are also some open jobs, so there’s some great competition for some spots as well. I’m really excited about our special teams. I think there’s a big, huge commitment to it and we’re working hard at improving there.”

(On WR Isaac Bruce)

“He’s the consummate professional. I marvel at how good he looks, and I’m not really making reference to our age, but you wish all the rookies would come in looking like this guy. He looks as fresh as ever to me. Not many guys take care of themselves the way he has to be able to still have the speed and the range for the ball and the practice performance. I know he’s going to do it in games, I’ve seen it for years, but coming out here and practicing you see why he’s had such a long career.”

(On S Deandre Eiland)

“I know Deandre. He was in Minnesota when I was there and he was in Miami when I was there. He’s certainly a guy that’s similar to where Ron Bartell is right now. He’s a guy who was drafted as a corner then moved to safety. We talked today about if you want to be noticed, intercept a ball or make a play on a ball. That’s another great thing about camp; guys like Deandre, backups that are at the back of the depth chart, can make an impression on a daily basis just by going out and showing up.”

(On CB Travis Fisher)

“Obviously, he’s very good corner and is improving at that spot, but he’s really accepted the role playing in that nickel position. That’s a pretty specialized role in this league. A lot of teams play three wide. We’ll play Arizona and they’ll use three wide receivers pretty much the whole game. You need a coverage guy in there, not only that can cover, but also that’s willing to take on blockers and be a key concern in nickel blitz packages and so far, so good. I’m excited for Fish.”

(On whether or not there’s a correlation between the intensity of practices and the spacing between practices)

“I think so. You generally practice a little bit better if you feel a little bit better. I think there’s more of a correlation with the fact that the competition is very heated. You maintain intensity when you’re competing at the highest level. If you’re just going through the motions on things or walking through, then you start thinking about the heat and all that. Our guys are pushing through it, they’re competing, and we’re practicing smarter. This was our best practice in terms of staying up, with no foolish plays in terms of putting guys in harms way. They get it. It’s a fine line. You preach being physical and practicing hard, but at the same time you’ve got to be smart and I think our guys are getting it.”

(On the play of the running backs)

“All those running backs are getting a fair amount of snaps. We’re a little short there in my opinion, but I think all of them are doing a great job. I’ve been very pleased with their progress and I know it will continue to get better.”

(On the status of CB Tye Hill’s contract negotiations)

“I think it will get done. Again, my focus hasn’t been on that. I’m not letting it affect my energy. I’m putting all of my energy and time into the guys that are here. When Tye does get done, he’ll be out here and we’ll be accelerating his progress since he’s missed. One thing is, it’s been great for these others guys to get the snaps that they wouldn’t get if he was here and they’re certainly taking advantage of it.”

WR Isaac Bruce

July 29, 2006

(On this year’s camp, compared to previous camps)

“It’s still hot; there are still about 80 players. Learning the offense is probably about the only difference.”

(On motivation)

“I’m self motivated. I write my goals down and see them everyday. I get up, I go out and I do it, it’s as simple as that. They change every year. They can’t stay the same. You either get better or you get worse.”

(On getting to know another head coach)

“It’s the same just pretty much figuring out his tendencies and what kind of person he is, first and foremost. Next, it’s just watching and looking at his offensive coordinating ability. I have to learn that and get on the same page with him. It’s early, it’s pretty new. I think the four pre-season games will help and the practices out here will help too.”

(On coach depending on him for veteran leadership)

“I can probably help him from a player’s standpoint, but as far as coaching and addressing the group, I think he has Coach Horton for that. But as far as rallying the troops, that’s what I do anyhow, so the more I can do I’m willing to do it.”

(On defensive back competition)

“There’s a lot of competition this year. The guys are really competing. Some of the younger guys are right up there with the guys that have been here for a while. It’s probably that the guys’ minds are focused on playing time, so there’s no room for guys taking a play or two off, or even the day off, because a lot of guys out here are looking to move up the depth chart.”

(On playing against teams coached by Jim Haslett)

“It was physical. One of the things I always enjoyed about playing against Coach Haslett, he got a lot out of players who really weren’t starters. Guys who would come in and fill-in, he got a ton out of them. They played and they competed hard and they tackled. So that was the number one thing I noticed playing against the Saints. He brought a group to St. Louis and beat us a couple of times, and it was always hard winning down there. Yeah I do .”

(On his toe being 100 percent)

“Yes, it’s fine.”

(On a new era of Rams football)

“Well it’s got to be a new era with a new coaching staff. Coach Linehan is beginning to start his legacy here. It’s going to be interesting to see how it goes. It’s definitely new.”

(On the new offense being different compared to previous years)

“Not really, I have to really see in a four quarter game. It’s going to be interesting to see the balance between running and passing, it’ll be interesting.”

(On the Rams and the upcoming season)

“Competing. First and foremost to win the division. When we win the division we will know that we’ve ultimately come out on top against a team that represented the NFC in the Super Bowl last year. Those are the intentions.”

(On Marc Bulger’s growth as a quarterback)

“More patient. He’s always been a very accurate guy to me. Just the command in the huddle. He pretty much knows his huddle and he knows every route and every protection. He’s a complete leader.”

(On changing off season routine)

“I stay away from OTA’s as best I can. No more pound cake.”

(On training camp being a necessary evil)

“It’s necessary, but I never said it was evil. You have to do it. It’s part of it, so you have to do it.”

(On feelings of having one more Super Bowl in him)

“I feel like I have two now. I upgraded it. It’s a team goal.”

(On the Rams being under the radar in the NFL)

“I feel like last year, we really weren’t far. It was a lot of chaos going around, but we played teams pretty well. You can only right now, judge our talent and our ability to play on the field with Seattle, and I think we played them pretty well when they were here. We may be flying under the radar just a tad bit, but I think teams know. I think with the edition of Coach Haslett and the talent that we have on offense, guys will know.”

(On having a more balanced approach on both sides of the ball)

“I believe it will. I believe the special teams are better, defense is obviously better. We’re going to run the football and continue to stretch the field. I think we’ll put points up and stop people.”

(On predictions for Stephen Jackson’s 2006 season)

“First Pro Bowl, just really dominating. He’s a power guy, I expect him to use that power and also make people miss a little bit. That’s what I expect.”

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Scott and Ike speak 7-29-07

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Bruce
    (On predictions for Stephen Jackson’s 2006 season)

“First Pro Bowl, just really dominating. He’s a power guy, I expect him to use that power and also make people miss a little bit. That’s what I expect.”
    Thats AWESOME that Isaac Has Faith in Steven Jackson! Lets hope that happens!!

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Bruce
    (On the Rams and the upcoming season)

“Competing. First and foremost to win the division. When we win the division we will know that we’ve ultimately come out on top against a team that represented the NFC in the Super Bowl last year. Those are the intentions.”
    I like his Confidence!

bubbaramfan is offline Registered User

Is anyone else concerned about the state of the Safety position? Granted C Chavous is a proven verteran, but after 2 days of camp he looks a little slow. Who is #2 behind him? Anyone with much experience? Otogwe would barely be a #2 on any other pro team. Furrey started most games last year and when Otogwe was on the field he looked lost and overwhelmed. He had a couple of good quarters in the last game against the Cowboys. Coach Linehan says Otogwe "wasn't evaluated from last years play" and that he "just doesn't have experience". You can tell they are concerned about depth or they wouldn't be switching Bartell over to safety. No real #2 there either. Just a bunch or raw prospects. Safety is going to be a sore spot on D again unless the Rams go out and get some more help. Don't know who is out there not signed, maybe some of you guys can tell us.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: THe Coach and Ike speak 7-29-07

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaramfan
    Granted C Chavous is a proven verteran, but after 2 days of camp he looks a little slow. Who is #2 behind him?
    Jerome Carter will most likely be backup SS behind Chavous if Carter doesnt win the starting FS job..

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    (Linehan on the play of the running backs)

“All those running backs are getting a fair amount of snaps. We’re a little short there in my opinion, but I think all of them are doing a great job. I’ve been very pleased with their progress and I know it will continue to get better.”

(Bruce on predictions for Stephen Jackson’s 2006 season)

HMMMMMMM....doesn't look like Linehan has the same enthusiasm as Bruce on this subject.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Granted C Chavous is a proven verteran, but after 2 days of camp he looks a little slow.
    What leads you to believe he "looks a little slow"?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    HMMMMMMM....doesn't look like Linehan has the same enthusiasm as Bruce on this subject.
    Well, they were asked two different questions. Right now, Linehan is probably more focused on figuring out the depth chart behind Jackson. I don't see anywhere that Linehan singled out a player for praise or criticism unless asked about that person specifically.

bubbaramfan is offline Registered User

Hub, You are not concerned about Safety? Its been stated in several camp reports that Chavous has lost a step. He has never been an elite S. granted the guy plays smart, but the consensus seems to be that he's not much of an upgrade over Arch. A better tackler, but not as big a hitter or blitzer. And I'm talking about camp reviews from other sites. I'm sure you've read them too. I don't want to disrespect this site by naming them. thats why I didn't in my first post.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

The thing with Chavous is that he is a converted corner. The strength of his game will be coverage, leadership and tackling. He may not be the best blitzer, or pack any sort of heat. But he should be steady. Something this team has lacked for some time at that position.

Hub, You are not concerned about Safety?
    Actually, Bubba, I never said I wasn't. I'm actually quite concerned about our Safety positions, especially our FS position.
    Its been stated in several camp reports that Chavous has lost a step. He has never been an elite S. granted the guy plays smart, but the consensus seems to be that he's not much of an upgrade over Arch.
    Well, I guess I haven't been paying attention to the consensus then. I liked Arch. For the right money, I would have love to see him stay, assuming his back is healed. But Snyder threw mad money at him, that far exceeded his worth. When healthy, Arch is solid. But he hasn't been solid since '03 and it shows. He's gutted through the past 3 seasons and I certainly respect him for that. However, last year he missed more tackles than he made. At this point, I'll take Chavous. Does Arch blitz more? Sure, but that's all he does better than Chavous. Here's a comparison from 2003 til now:

Arch: 237 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 2 picks, 10 PDs, 2 FF
    Chavous: 237 tackles, 0 sacks, 11 picks, 14 PDs, 1 FF

Is Arch a better blitzer? Yes, but that's pretty much the only thing he does better than Chavous. Was Arch worth keeping for the money the Skins put on him? No chance. I'm not sure the "consensus" got it right this time.
    And I'm talking about camp reviews from other sites. I'm sure you've read them too.
    I haven't read a single credible report that says Chavous "after 2 days of camp he looks a little slow". This is why you have to be careful putting any faith in "camp reports". Enjoy the pictures, browse the reviews, but don't get real excited one way or another about what casual spectators have to say about camp. If camps were any indicator, Manu would be a 4 time pro-bowler by now.

Now, has Chavous lost a step? Probably, he's 30 years old. But I'm not sure a "camp report" would tell me that anyway. Simple common sense would enlighten everyone to that concept.

AV had it right.....camp reports really should be served with a bag of salt grains.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaramfan
    Otogwe would barely be a #2 on any other pro team.
    What leads you to that conclusion? We haven't seen enough of him to really know how well he will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

I don't want to disrespect this site by naming them. thats why I didn't in my first post.
    And that's very admirable of you. I appreciate the thought. I don't want you to think that I'm down on "camp reports". They're a wonderful thing for what they are. In fact, we encourage anyone who goes to any of the practices to share every thought they have from the experience. But there's only so many, if any, conclusions that can be reached from watching camp practices. Take for example, the guys over at RRF. They have a couple of fellas who are going to as many practices as they can, and they are sending back some wonderful pictures. As well, they've been gracious enough to share those pictures with other web sites. That's great, that's super. That is a quality service they're providing to Rams fans. And they're reporting on what they see. Again, more power to them, they're doing a great deed.

But we really can't draw any conclusions from those perspectives. Other than what you hear from the coaches and players, there's really not a lot of insight to be had from camp reports.

Again, I'm not down on anyone sharing their camp experience. In fact, I'm very much in favor of hearing from ANYONE who goes to camp. Those reports are great IF we remember it's just the view of another un-trained eye. Just like mine, just like yours. When September gets here, then we can all draw our own conclusions on Sundays.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Besides the fact that they were asked different questions, the only negative thing Linehan said was he thought they were short there, which I believe refers to depth.

With that said, I think it's good that players like Bruce are expecting big things from Jackson. That way, if he doesn't live up to them, he'll have more people to answer to than just the fans. Hopefully he doesn't let either down.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Atogwe deserves a chance. God knows he didnt get one with Martz in charge. One mistake on special teams and he was inactive for half the season

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Linehan on OJ
    He was one of the guys I was talking about the other night. He and Steven (Jackson) had such a collision I wasn’t sure if either one of them was going to get up. He’s got everything it takes, he just doesn’t have experience.”
    Music to my ears, like I've said almost one million times, this D is sounding better and better every day.

Ok, does anyone rememeber our D making big collissions and stuff like this last year?

Personally I have no worries about the Safety position. Our coachs obviously think were set, so I trust there judgement.
    RamsFan16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast