RamWraith is offline Registered User

Coach Jim Haslett November 28

Head Coach Jim Haslett

November 28, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

“Before I get going, I told a couple guys yesterday, we’re just going to announce it today, (LB) David Vobora is going to start at the middle linebacker spot and (LB) Will Witherspoon will play on third down and two-minute. So, we’re going to start David and it’ll be a good look to see what the young kid can do. That being said, whoever’s dressed, I told them to be ready to play because we’re going to play some guys and find out what other guys can do. I’ve got mostly young guys on the field. (LB) Chris Chamberlain…will get some action. (G) Roy (Schuening) will not because he probably won’t dress.”

(On if LB Gary Stills will play)

“He’s sick, I’m not really sure why. If for some reason Gary can’t go, we’ll dress (LB) Larry Grant and see what he can do.”

(On the matchup between Dolphins T Jake Long and DE Chris Long)

“First and second (overall) draft picks going against each other, so I think It’ll be a heck of a matchup. I told Chris see if you should have been the first pick. You have to out-play Jake to see if you were worthy of the first pick. But, it’ll be a good battle. It’ll be two really good football players that are really athletic and it’ll be a fun matchup to watch.”

(On the amount of young players playing this week opposed to previous weeks)

“This is a little different. What I’m saying is we’ve got a lot of young playing. People keep saying play your young guys, well we’ve got most of them playing. We got three rookies receivers. What I’m saying, (T) John Greco’s going to get some work, I’d like to give (LB) Chris (Chamberlain) some work. (LB) David Vobora’s going to start. (S) Todd Johnson’s going to get some work, so we’re going to play some other guys. Basically, we’ve got a lot of young guys playing anyway, but this gives us a chance to see them live with the bullets flying. I’m excited for David, it’s his chance. He’s a pretty smart kid, pretty instinctive, so we’ll get a good look him with all the stuff that Miami does.”

(On if LB David Vobora has a history of being a solid tackler in college)

“Yeah, I think he’ll be fine, but, this is a little different. He’s got two really running backs, powerful guys that can run, (RB) Ronnie and (RB) Ricky (Williams). So, this will be a good test for him.”

(On if LB David Vobora will wear the headset)

“Yes, he will wear the headset.”

(On how much time the team has spent preparing for the ‘Wildcat’ formation that the Dolphins don’t use often)

“I disagree with that they don’t use it, they use it a lot in the game. They’ve been up to 15, 20 snaps sometimes in a game. We’ve got a good handle on it. I’m kind of excited to see how we handle it too because we’ve got some different things for them. Hopefully, if we can line up and play quickly. It’s kind of like playing an option team. You can work it and work it and work it and all the sudden you come in the game and it comes out and it’s like lightening fast and you’re just not used to the speed. Hopefully when it comes out and we get it in the game that we adjust to it well.”

(On what he saw from RB Steven Jackson today)

“I thought he did ok. I’ll have to see how he feels and I thought he got better as the week went on, so I’ll talk to him today and we’ll make a decision by the game.”

WR Torry Holt

November 28, 2008

(On how was his Thanksgiving)

“It was good. I had a really good Thanksgiving. I had an opportunity to be with some of my family and friends and some of my teammates. It was good and I ate a lot. I was really uncomfortable when I went home.”

(On have RB Steven Jackson and T Orlando Pace back from injury)
    “That will be good. It is always a plus when we have those two guys back on the football field. (T) Orlando (Pace) is a perennial All-Pro tackle and all of those things. He brings security and stability to our football team and to our offensive line and that is great. Having (RB) Steven (Jackson) back with his rushing style and how vicious he is as a runner, hopefully we can get some holes opened up for him and run the football well. I say this all the time, we need to run the football but we also need to run the ball effectively. If we can do that, it allows everybody else’s game to be a little easier. Especially the quarterback position and (QB) Marc (Bulger). We want to run the ball well in these last five games to keep him fresh and healthy and let his confidence build as we end this thing.”

(On LB Joey Porter)

“(LB) Joey (Porter) is a hell of a ball player. I like (LB) Joey (Porter) and I like his game a lot. I like his passion and his intimidation that he brings to the game. I don’t have any concerns but the guys that are going to be handling him, they may have a few concerns. We will be aware of where he is on the football field at all times and we may slide some things to him and have some guys chipping at him to knock him off balance. Hopefully he ate a lot of turkey and that will kind of slow him down this week. We know for sure, he will come out with his A-game and try to cause some problems.”

(On what distinguishes the Miami secondary)

“Watching them, I wouldn’t say anything special. I don’t see them doing a whole lot of coverages. Not a ton of coverages, not a lot of disguising. They are going to line up and they are going to play you. They are going to try to hit you in mouth and at the same time try to cover you. We have to be ready for that. We have to take the same approach that we took last week as far as being disciplined, being sharp, being precise with our routes, being aggressive up the football field when we can. Then, we have to get open and if our running game is going well, once again, that allows us to relax on the outside and just play our game and get into our routes with depth and be precise. They’ll pose a challenge for us so we’re looking for it.”

(On a veteran’s perspective of playing a lot of young guys)

“I think it’s good. If you would have asked me this early on in the season, I probably would have had some concerns. Early on, you are trying to get out to a good start and trying to win some games, pad some stuff and give yourself some room for some things down the end of the road as you position yourself for a playoff run. Now, being in the position where we are, I don’t see a problem with it. I think it’s great for the young players. I think it’s good for this football team and for this organization as they move forward and see what their plans are going to be here in the future. They have to take a look and see who is going to be here, see who is going to help them out. We have some young guys who can play. It’s just a matter of just carrying out from the practice field to the game situation. If they stay focused and trust their keys, trust their instincts and trust their ability, then I think they’ll do a good job on Sunday. It’s going to be nice. I’m looking forward to having the opportunity to watch some of them play.”

(On when he “hit the wall” in his rookie season)

“I would say Week 12 or Week 13 is when I hit the wall. Lorenzo Styles said, ‘Look, this is pretty much the norm. Everybody’s gone through it. Relax, stay poised, continue doing what you’re doing, continue doing what you’ve done to get to this point, keep working out, keep studying, just fight your way through it.’ As far as my two young guys, Keenan (Burton) and Donnie (Avery), I’ve seen them hit the wall. I think they’ve been touched a little bit by the wall. All I try to tell them is what was told to me, keep working, stay poised, keep watching your film, keep working on your game and in the meantime, myself and Dane (Looker) and some of the other veterans guys on the squad, have to pick up the slack until those young guys get their legs back under them. Then they can finish it out for us. It’s natural, it’s the norm. I think, for the most part, they are doing a pretty good job of continuing to fight through it and get themselves in position to try to go out on Sunday and compete.”

LB David Vobora

November 28, 2008

(On if he has practiced with the radio headset this week)
    “No. It will be the first day on Sunday or maybe we will practice with it tomorrow.”

(On how excited he is about starting his first game in the NFL)

“I am really excited. All week Coach (Haslett) said you have to be ready to go and I did not know exactly what that meant. If that was 10 plays, 20 plays, 50 plays or all the plays, I just wanted to be prepared because I know (LB) (Will) Witherspoon is banged up and he has done a great job of helping me prepare as well as the coaches and the rest of the defense. I am very excited.”

(On LB Will Witherspoon’s help throughout the game)

“He is another pair of eyes on the sideline and we do that already. He does the same thing when he comes off; we like to talk about the things we see. It is football and you have to read your keys no matter what formation they are in or what type of offense they are running.”

(On facing the wildcat offense)
    “It is a little unconventional and it is the new thing in the NFL. Some teams are throwing a few plays in a game but these guys are the poster child for the wildcat and they have done an exceptional job playing it. We are going to have to do a good job and it is really keys and playing football once you get everybody lined up.”

(On QB Chad Pennington)
    “(QB) (Chad) Pennington is playing well. He is an accurate quarterback and we are going to have to get some pressure on him if we expect to have a good day on defense. They really click well and their running backs, (RB) (Ronnie) Brown and (RB) Ricky (Williams), are running the ball with a lot of pizzazz and fire and enthusiasm so they are a good offensive team.”

(On what he thought about when he knew he was starting)

“You always dream about it and you hope for it. When the opportunity comes you make the most of it. That is how my whole career has been and I am blessed to have this opportunity. As far as Sunday, I am just going to relax and play football. That is going to be the main thing, I am going to take a deep breath and play football like I know how to play it.”

(On if his family will be at the game)
    “I talked to them yesterday and I told them that I maybe starting but I did not know what the deal was. They are actually in southern Oregon for Thanksgiving with my grandparents so they are going to go to a local bar and cheer on from the TV.”

Mooselini Guest

Re: Coach Jim Haslett November 28

Vobora playing MLB? I hope he does a good job. Maybe he is the missing piece we so desperately need there.

I hope Jackson is full go this week. We really need him seeming that hes our best player. AHHHH

GO RAMS

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This is really interesting.

Vobora lists as 6'1, 236 lbs.

Witherspoon, on the other hand, lists at 6'1, 236 lbs.

I just don't understand what Haslett is driving at with this one? You just don't bench your team MVP from 2007 because you're having a losing season. Witherspoon has disappeared at times this year, and it's becoming more obvious that maybe the middle isn't the best spot for him. I just don't see what sort of advantage you're going to get from starting Witherspoon Junior over Witherspoon himself.

And what's more, they don't give him a shot on the outside either? What this says to me is that he's being benched for two Rookies. Chamberlain on the outside and Vorbora in the middle. Something is fishy, if you ask me.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Young kids are getting in there. Good to see that. Perhaps will find a diamond in the rough.

BEER is offline Registered User

Red face Re: Coach Jim Haslett November 28

Chris will have zero sacks on Jake. Just a crazy guess.

From Coats' PD today.

Witherspoon is nursing injuries to both shoulders and
    will be used only on third downs and in the 2-minute defense, coach Jim Haslett
    said.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

It's about time we get to see what we have in terms of younger players. My instincts tell me we will learn more about our depth than starting players, but that's fine too.

We may actually win this game, IMHO.

Go Rams!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    ...That being said, whoever’s dressed, I told them to be ready to play because we’re going to play some guys and find out what other guys can do...

Ladies and gentlemen, the Ram's would like to thank you for joining us this season. Enjoy the rest of the year, and we look forward to seeing all our fans at the 2009 draft.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Truth is offline Registered User

“Before I get going, I told a couple guys yesterday, we’re just going to announce it today, (LB) David Vobora is going to start at the middle linebacker spot and (LB) Will Witherspoon will play on third down and two-minute. So, we’re going to start David and it’ll be a good look to see what the young kid can do. That being said, whoever’s dressed, I told them to be ready to play because we’re going to play some guys and find out what other guys can do.
    Interesting. Not that I disagree with the move. It just seems to be the kind of move that a coach that plans to be around for the next few years would make.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Interesting. Not that I disagree with the move. It just seems to be the kind of move that a coach that plans to be around for the next few years would make.
    I wouldn't read too much into this. It appears that Haz doesn't have much of a choice given that 'Spoon is nursing injuries to BOTH of his shoulders. Also I gotta believe that if Draft was healthy he would be in the starting line up over Vobora in a heart beat.

WHAT SAY YE?

moloch41 Guest

Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On how much time the team has spent preparing for the ‘Wildcat’ formation that the Dolphins don’t use often)

“I disagree with that they don’t use it, they use it a lot in the game. They’ve been up to 15, 20 snaps sometimes in a game. We’ve got a good handle on it. I’m kind of excited to see how we handle it too because we’ve got some different things for them. Hopefully, if we can line up and play quickly. It’s kind of like playing an option team. You can work it and work it and work it and all the sudden you come in the game and it comes out and it’s like lightening fast and you’re just not used to the speed. Hopefully when it comes out and we get it in the game that we adjust to it well.”
    Wait, I think I know what the "different things" are- they'll rush four down linemen at them straight ahead (no stunts or twists), the linebackers will be 5 yds off the line of scrimmage and try to react to what is happening, the dbs will be 7 yds off the line of scrimmage and begin backpedaling as soon as the ball is snapped- but still be burnt long on many plays. So, pretty much, we'll be throwing the same boring, uninspired defensive game plan out there that has helped us to a 2-11 record...aka...Haslett's Exotic Blitz Schemes... Geez, this guy is starting to sound like Charlie Brown's teachers to me.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Wait, I think I know what the "different things" are- they'll rush four down linemen at them straight ahead (no stunts or twists), the linebackers will be 5 yds off the line of scrimmage and try to react to what is happening, the dbs will be 7 yds off the line of scrimmage and begin backpedaling as soon as the ball is snapped- but still be burnt long on many plays. So, pretty much, we'll be throwing the same boring, uninspired defensive game plan out there that has helped us to a 2-11 record...aka...Haslett's Exotic Blitz Schemes... Geez, this guy is starting to sound like Charlie Brown's teachers to me.
    Well Merry Christmas Charlie Brown.