RamWraith is offline Registered User

Coach Jim Haslett / Players October 29

Rams Head Coach Jim Haslett

October 29, 2008

(Opening Remarks)

“I’d like to congratulate coach Brian Simmons for being U.S. Army’s coach of the week from Cardinal Ritter College Prep. Injuries: (CB) Tye Hill worked today, he’ll be questionable for the game. (DE) Leonard (Little) did some individual, took a few reps, he’s going to be day-to-day. (RB) Steven (Jackson) took some reps, he’ll be day-to-day and did a little individual and also a couple team reps and I think he’ll be day-to-day also. So, all those three will be question marks.”

(On what CB Tye Hill’s role will be if he’s ready to play Sunday)

“Well, if he’s coming back this week he’ll be the fifth corner. Depending on which groups are in he might get some playing time, but right now we’re just going to try to ease him back into it.”

(On if he is planning to take it easy working in RB Steven Jackson in practice)

“Yeah, you have to talk to Steven on that one, it’s going to be a day-to-day thing to see how he feels when he’s running, but he did a couple things today. I thought he did ok.”

(On how bad DE Leonard Little re-aggravated his hamstring)

“Well, it’s bothering him. He didn’t finish the game. He didn’t play three quarters of the game, so I would think it’s pretty significant.”

(On if DL Adam Carriker was back in full practice today)

“Carriker just did individual today and then did some work and that was it.

(On if he expects DL Adam Carriker to be ready to play Sunday)

“I don’t know. I think all those guys are questionable.”

(On if he sees any difference in Cardinals QB Kurt Warner on film now in comparison to when he was head coach in New Orleans)

“I see a guy that’s actually probably better. I think he’s doing a great job of running the offense, number one, he’s got 70 percent completion, I think there’s only three or four guys in the history of football that have been close to 70 percent. He’s not taking sacks, he’s getting the ball out of his hands fast, he’s on the money. Obviously he very accurate when he’s throwing it and I think he’s playing great football.”

(On Cardinal’s WRs Larry Fitzgerald and Anguan Boldin)

“Well, they’re two of the best in league. Big bodied guys that can push off, get open, great leaping ability, great run after the catch, good blockers, so it’s going to be a good match-up for us inside to test what we can do with them.”

(On if he expects DE Eric Moore and DE Victor Adeyanju to play in place of DE Adam Carriker and DE Leonard Little if they can’t play on Sunday)

“Yeah, that’s who finished the game, we had those guys finish the game last week. Eric played well and Victor has been playing well the whole time. Yeah, we’d go with the guys we have.”

(On if CB Tye Hill had to get healed mentally and emotionally as well as physically)

“Well, yeah, he wasn’t playing as good as he could play. He’s played a lot better earlier in his career, but Tye’s got great speed, great leaping ability and he’s a good player. In his first two years he played really well, so I expect him to come back and compete at that level again, try to fight for his job again.”

(On if he’s happy with the situation at corner back now)

“Well, I think (CB) Ron (Bartel) is playing at a high level on the outside and I’m glad for him and having Fakhir (Brown) back and Jason’s a good inside guy, good nickel, so yeah, I think they’re playing pretty well.”

(On how he evaluated QB Marc Bulger’s play)

“Well, I said it before, I think Marc’s playing ok. Can he do things better? Yeah, obviously, I think everybody on this team could do better, but you have to understand, you have a young group of rookies and (WR) Torry’s (Holt) trying to help those guys out and Marc’s trying to help them out and we have some young running backs and our line hasn’t been together in full tact all year, so it’s a combination of everything. He’s going to have to just keep fighting through it and he’ll be fine.”

(On if after watching the film he saw if WR Torry Holt was getting open)

“Torry leads our team in receptions. When you get doubled and you get rolled up on a lot, he’s the guy that’s come in most double teams or double coverage.”

(On what he sees in Cardinals RBs Tim Hightower and EdgerrinJames)

“I think they’re very similar. They’ve got great vision, both of them, both run hard. “Edge” (RB Edgerrin James) has about a 3.5 average and I’m not sure what Hightower has, I think it’s a little bit below that, but the numbers are similiar, he’s just a younger guy, but I think that they’re both pretty good running backs.”

(On if there is a difference in preparation for Cardinals RBs Tim Hightower and Edgerrin James)

“I don’t think so, I think they’re kind of similar to be honest with you. Both of them have great vision, good cut-back ability, good power, they’re both good running backs)

(On where the Cardinals had their most success scoring against the Rams last season)

“Well, if you look at the turnovers and the interceptions, we had three of them in the last game, interceptions for touchdowns, so they were scoring points in different ways, offense, defense, they scored a lot of different points. They’re a pretty good offense. They’re leading the NFL in points, almost 27, 28 a game, almost 300-yards passing a game. They’re going to move the ball on us. We know that and we’re just going to have to keep the point total down as much as we can.”

(On if the Cardinals offense is a challenge in comparison to the first seven games of the season)

“I think it’s a great challenge, especially in the passing game. You have a quarterback that’s on fire, you have really good receivers, they have four really good receivers. Good tight ends, they’re very good on the line and then the quarterback running everything. This is going to be a great challenge for our defense.”

(On if he expects WR Torry Holt to get more catches this game)

“I guess it’s all based on the coverage and what they’re trying to do to be honest with you. I can’t tell what the defenses are going to try to do to us. Torry got a lot of two-mans last week. When you have two guys running with you, it’s hard to get open.”

(On WR Donnie Avery’s play)

“I think he’s done fine. Obviously, he’s got a way to go just like everybody else. He made mistakes last week, but I think he shows the ability he can make big plays and he has a good run after the catch and better hands than people gave him credit for coming out. I think he’s going to keep working his training and I think he’s going to be ok.”

(On if the team understands what’s at stake with this game)

“They’re excited about the opportunity to play. First of all, we’re at home, so hopefully the crowd will be behind us, I think that’s going to be big for us. Having a chance to play this team and stay in this race, so I think everybody understands what’s at stake.”

QB Marc Bulger

October 29, 2008

(On if he is thinking about the playoffs this early in the season)

“Yes and No. When you are 2-5, you know that games like these are important. Especially division games because we get two cracks at these guys; we have one more with Seattle and two against San Francisco. Each one of these division games is definitely more important then the other games this season.”

(On if he still has a relationship with Arizona QB Kurt Warner)

“I haven’t talked to him since the summer. I switched my number and it is always a matter of us getting a hold of each others cell phone numbers but I haven’t talked to him during this year. He switches his and I switched mine and he doesn’t mess around with voicemails either so sometimes he is tough to get a hold of. I am sure next week sometime we will get a hold of each other.”

(On if he feels like he is throwing off his back foot)

“I don’t know who said that but I don’t feel like I do. If my coach tells me I am throwing off my back foot then I will stopped throwing the way I do but my mechanics haven’t switched.”

(On what happened on the final play in Sunday’s game against the Patriots)

“There are things that they (rookie receivers) are going to learn. Certain plays where you release inside or outside or your split has to be a certain way and if all those things don’t happen then it puts the defense in a spot. They are good players too and if they know something is not right then they are going to make a play. I don’t want to get too detailed but they will learn from it and we will make those plays in the future.”

(On how he thinks he is playing so far this season)

“I am playing good enough to win. We all want to play better. In the fourth quarter we have been trailing a lot this year so you have to force the issue but I have been pleased. We haven’t turned the ball over and we have kept ourselves in games.”

(On why Arizona has been so good against the Rams recently)

“I don’t know. They have an exciting offense and (QB) Kurt (Warner) has them going. They are a really good football team with him back there and those receivers. It has been one of those rivalries and we have beat up on them for years and they have got us back lately. They are the best team in the division right now and it won’t be easy on Sunday.”

(On the Arizona Cardinals defense)

“They are good as a whole. (S) (Adrian) Wilson, I played against him for years and that is the one guy, it is important to know where he is at all times. They try to get him in the box as the eighth guy and they try to blitz him. He is a linebacker playing safety. You saw what he did to Buffalo’s quarterback and he has hurt me in the past. He is just a big physical guy that you have to be aware of.”

(On why Arizona’s defense is giving up a lot of points this season)

“I don’t know if it is because their offense scores too quick and teams have to start throwing the ball and that creates bigger plays. We know that they are going to score a bunch of points this week and Coach Haslett has talked about it, we have to score touchdowns. We can’t just keep kicking field goals because they are going to score their share and it is up to us to keep us in the game this week.”

(On if RB Steven Jackson will be able to play this week)
    “We are optimistic. He looked pretty good out there today. You just hope there are no set backs. He is our best player and to get him back would be huge.”

(On if the offense has changed with Coach Haslett as head coach)

“The offense really has not switched. Our defense has been playing a lot better the last three or four games and getting the ball for us. It has turned a little bit more into managing games rather then trying to win games. As long as our defense keeps getting us the ball and playing as well as they have, that won’t change.”

(On how optimistic he is about making the playoffs)

“I think in any other division we would be almost out of it but we are 2-5 and being able to play all those guys is a big advantage and everyone else in our division has a schedule like us so it does not get easier for anybody else. We just have to take care of business in our division and we will be right in the middle of things.”

(On why WR Donnie Avery has been such a big target these last few games)

“I think it is because he is blessed with his athletic ability. If he would have been in camp, we would have seen it earlier in the year and been able to extend the field. We are not complaining, we have him now and he is learning and growing everyday. With his speed you can make an impact in the NFL.”

(On why WR Torry Holt hasn’t got the ball as much this year)

“Every wide receiver is open according to them but he has built up such a reputation that a lot of teams roll to him. When you have (WR) Torry (Holt) and a rookie, sometimes you can get that one-on-one coverage with the rookie and they will double (WR) Torry (Holt). Hopefully (WR) Donnie (Avery) will start to get that attention and we will get singled up on (WR) Torry (Holt) and he will take advantage. Once we get those guys going then we will get cover two and we will run the ball. That is what you try to do in the NFL, just try to keep those safeties out of coming down and hitting (RB) (Steven) Jackson.”

(On why the offense could not get touchdowns in last week’s game against the Patriots)

“We got down to the 2-yard line and we just did not convert the first series. We came down again later and we were on the 9-yard line and they were really good up front. They had a really good push and we made a couple mental errors and I think that hurt us. We are trying to get those corrected and hopefully with (RB) Steven’s (Jackson) presence down there, that should help us.”

(On how can the offense minimize the rookie mistakes)

“We just don’t want to over load them. They are going to make their mistakes and that is how they are going to learn. If we put too much on (WR) Donnie (Avery), he can’t carry this team alone, neither can (RB) Steven (Jackson) and neither can I. Especially on a rookie, you don’t want to over load him and make him think too much because you will see him slow down when he is thinking. We will just have him keep running those big eights and nines and the things that he does well right now. Don’t make him think too much and he will be fine.”

DE Chris Long

October 29, 2008

(On DE Leonard Little being out last week and questionable for this week and if that puts more onus on the guys in there to put pressure on Cardinals QB Kurt Warner)

“We expect Leonard, I don’t about his injury or anything like that, but I figure he’s going to play as far as I’m concerned. We don’t pay attention to that. We just go in there and try and play as a unit the best we can. Whether it’s Adam (Carriker) out last week or somebody out another week, we just try to make up where we can.”

(On how he thinks he has changed from the beginning of the season to now)

“It’s a big difference. Every week is a big difference. Every week you learn something new, every week it slows down a little bit. As a defense, it slows down for everybody and we just need to continue to play as a unit to keep the numbers down.”

(On if he thinks a defensive end can play well and not have any sacks)

“Sacks are hard to come by in this league. I am lucky to have four, I think. I’m kind of surprised by it. I know how hard they are to come by and just to get pressure is good but you do want to finish off some plays.”

(On Cardinals QB Kurt Warner’s propensity to turn the ball over and if that puts extra emphasis on getting pressure on him)

“Me personally, I’m just trying to get there the best I can. It’s hard enough for me to get there. I figure I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Kurt (Warner), for whatever ball security issues people say he has, he makes up for it with his playmaking ability and his toughness. You just have to worry about getting there.”

WR Donnie Avery

October 29, 2008

(On who he watched growing up)

“I was really a big Deion Sanders fan growing up.”

(On if he ever played defensive back)

“I played DB a little bit but I sucked so that’s why I moved to the other side of the ball.”

(On if he was surprised that he has gotten so many opportunities this early)

“I knew I could do it. I wasn’t in a big conference so everybody else didn’t know that I was able to do what I’m doing right now, so I’m just showing the guys what I can do.”

(On if he thinks people are paying more attention to WR Torry Holt and if he thinks that is allowing him to get more one-on-one coverage)

“Obviously, they are paying attention to Torry (Holt), but I don’t know. I’m not in the defensive rooms. I don’t know what their schemes are. Whatever they are calling up, I’m just trying to do my best to make a play on it.”

(On if he thinks his biggest catch of the year was the catch to set up the game winning field goal in Washington)

“That’s probably the biggest one.”

(On if he realized the magnitude as he was running down the field on that play)

“I just saw the ball and made a good play on it. That’s it.”

(On the Rams having the thickest offensive playbook in the NFL and how difficult that is being a rookie)

“It’s about studying. We do have the biggest playbook out there. It’s just about studying, getting ready for exams. That’s how I look at it every day. You have to study for an exam to pass it every day, so that’s what I do.”

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Coach Jim Haslett / Players October 29

I like to read quotes from the players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    I like to read quotes from the players.
    I like Milk

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

WOW! I don't like hearing about all the "Day to Day" on these guy's. Thanks for keeping us informed RW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

uDDerBLiTz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I like Milk
    Me toooooooo.......

uDDerBLiTz is offline Registered User

I like Milk
    Hey I gotta ask a serious question here. bar-bq....uhmmm. What exactly does bar-bq stand for? Please tell me that you are not one of those guys that eats cows.....

Quote Originally Posted by uDDerBLiTz View Post
    Hey I gotta ask a serious question here. bar-bq....uhmmm. What exactly does bar-bq stand for? Please tell me that you are not one of those guys that eats cows.....

Oh that?

It's a clever acronym that stands for the Scott Linehan Opposition Party.

Seriously, it's the closest pun I could find on f b q, my great grandfathers initials. Don't even know why I picked those. It was a long long time ago and its stuck ever since.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

I like Milk

Can we get that "slightly less attractive Chinese girl with bad teeth" back?

Seriously though... no reps for this 'cause I need to share them first, but thanks for the laugh!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

faulk2jackson Guest

I LIKE TURTLES.......

YouTube - Zombie Kid Likes Turtles

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post

Can we get that "slightly less attractive Chinese girl with bad teeth" back?

Seriously though... no reps for this 'cause I need to share them first, but thanks for the laugh!
    who do you think said that?

She's a genius I tell you.