Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By C-Mob 71

Thread: Coach Paul Boudreau Talks Rams O-Line –Video

Rambos is offline Registered User

Coach Paul Boudreau Talks Rams O-Line –Video

cfin5256 is offline Registered User

Re: Coach Paul Boudreau Talks Rams O-Line –Video

Thanks for posting. At this point I just scratch my head about Smith. So much talent, and yet still has so many issues that need fixed. I could give him a pass for the first couple seasons, but he's going in to his 4th season and still struggling with proper technique. I'm losing hope that he's ever going to live up to his pick. And it always drives me nuts to hear stuff like Watkins. You have a chance to make serious coin and potentially jeopardize it by reporting out of shape. Hopefully the 'come to Jesus' meeting opened his eyes.

Still, I like Bourdreau. I think he'll get things figured out.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

After listening to Boudreau, he seems as quietly confident and unflappable as Jeff Fisher. If Jason Smith's technique is skewed, perhaps the best thing is to take the pressure off him right now and try to coach him up. Let someone else start the next couple of games at RT. At this point, I have no idea if he'll ever be a starting tackle in the NFL, or even a guard for that matter. Physically and athletically Jason appears capable, it's the other "stuff" that he's struggling with. It will be interesting to see which players out of our current crop of O-linemen make the final cut ..

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I didn't listen to the video yet. Hopefully Boudreau doesn't mention anything about "cutting off the head" or "getting after that ACL".

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about you guys, but Boudreau gives me ssupreme confidence that our oline will shape up this year.
    cfin5256 likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by cfin5256 View Post
    Thanks for posting. At this point I just scratch my head about Smith. So much talent, and yet still has so many issues that need fixed. I could give him a pass for the first couple seasons, but he's going in to his 4th season and still struggling with proper technique. I'm losing hope that he's ever going to live up to his pick. And it always drives me nuts to hear stuff like Watkins. You have a chance to make serious coin and potentially jeopardize it by reporting out of shape. Hopefully the 'come to Jesus' meeting opened his eyes.

Still, I like Bourdreau. I think he'll get things figured out.
    Good points.

Talking about Jason Smith like he's a rookie doesn't sound very encouraging. If he doesn't have it by now, I'm not sure he ever will.

Boudreau sounds pretty high on Watkins, although it is discouraging to hear his weight has him behind the curve.

It would be great to see Wells next week if he's healthy, but the fact that Boudreau said the last preseason game for sure has me doubting that happens. I'm all for Wells coming back when he's ready, and not rushing him.

No mention of Saffold was was kind of interesting.

Thank goodness for Harvey Dahl. We have at least one position we don't have to worry about.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

Talking about Jason Smith like he's a rookie doesn't sound very encouraging. If he doesn't have it by now, I'm not sure he ever will.
    Up til now, I'm not convinced we've had a good O-line coach for Smith. For a converted TE, he needed a good o-line coach to bring him into the league and get him playing tackle at an NFL level, where he couldn't just rely on athleticism to be bigger and faster than 90% of the players. Unfortunately, he either hasn't had that, or the injuries have prevented him from learning, one of the two.

We all know he would be a project when he was drafted, we just failed to do something with that project. I really don't think it's on Smith, who seems athletic and like he has a good work ethic. I think he just hasn't been really shown what he's doing.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Up til now, I'm not convinced we've had a good O-line coach for Smith. For a converted TE, he needed a good o-line coach to bring him into the league and get him playing tackle at an NFL level, where he couldn't just rely on athleticism to be bigger and faster than 90% of the players. Unfortunately, he either hasn't had that, or the injuries have prevented him from learning, one of the two.

We all know he would be a project when he was drafted, we just failed to do something with that project. I really don't think it's on Smith, who seems athletic and like he has a good work ethic. I think he just hasn't been really shown what he's doing.
    Hope you're right. Getting Smith to realize his potential would be huge.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post

I have to say the potential is there, especially the way he plays (tackles through the 2nd level of LBs. His talent was hindered by the incompetence of Steve Loney (thank the football gods he is fired). If Boudreau can get him on the right track again, then he'll be a complimentary tackle.

cfin5256 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Hope you're right. Getting Smith to realize his potential would be huge.
    Sure would. Having Smith, Wells, and Dahl to build from would give us really solid core. It could take our line from a question mark to a strength in my opinion.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

One thing I will say, Jason Smith is not Alex Barron.

Smith actually gives a damn.

That said, he better start learning real fast, no chance we will keep him around for him to earn his subsunstantial bonus next offseason unless he is one of the nfls top right tackles. The man has a lot of work to do.