throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Coach / players--Sept. 20

Head Coach Scott Linehan
    September 20

(Opening Statement and Injury Report) “Pisa’s (Tinoisamoa) elbow is getting better. He’s still going to be listed as questionable. He worked some things on a limited basis in a red jersey on the field. We’re obviously keeping Orlando (Pace) out. He’s doubtful at this point. He didn’t get any practice today. We’ll evaluate him and due a psych test on him tomorrow and make the evaluation then, exactly whether he’ll be ready for this weekend.”

(On T Orlando Pace’s recovery) “I asked him how he felt and he said he felt better. He’s feeling better everyday. I think he’s still feeling it a little bit. That’s got to be a good thing that he says he’s feeling better.”

(On not being surprised if LB Pisa Tinoisamoa is ready to play on Sunday) “That would be standard for Pisa. That’s just the way he thinks and that’s why he has a good chance of playing this weekend.”

(On players taking time off to recover from injury) “It helps, but I prefer that guys practice. If he can get something done Friday, we won’t do anything tomorrow. If he could get something done Friday, that would make us feel better. I’m more concerned with the fact that he is 100 percent. The plan is secondary to making sure he’s okay.”

(On the idea of putting T Alex Barron on the left side of the offensive line) “That’s because he’s been on the right side here. We’ve had to move enough and we want to try to keep things as stable as we can with (Todd) Steussie at left (Tackle). Adam (Goldberg) has played a lot of guard. He started quite a few games at Minnesota last year at guard. That would be our contingency plan right now.”

(On Barron’s progression) “I think he’s playing pretty good. I think he’s doing the things you want to improve on from your first year to your second. His run-blocking is better. I think he’s a very good pass protector. When we have both him and Orlando (Pace) healthy I think that’s going to be very positive for us. He’s progressing very well. He’s made a lot of improvement from his rookie year.”

(On G Adam Goldberg’s performance) “I think he did fine. With very limited time here, I think he’s very familiar with a lot of the things we’re doing, terminology wise. He worked our offense two years ago and was basically working a new system. Just getting the reps up a little bit was some of it. Just like everybody, he had a couple of errors in the game, but he’s a good player and I’m glad we have him.”

(On determining Pace’s status) “I’m optimistic. They are guys that have played a lot. Those two guys on the left side have played a lot more football in the NFL than Richie (Incognito). Anytime you have to re-shuffle things it’s not easy, but these guys are pros and having a week to prepare will certainly give us a better chance to have more success.”

(On C Richie Incognito’s performance) “I thought he did very well. He played very well, he was very physical in the game. He wasn’t tenatative because he had to think more. I think he did a good job. I think it helped for a while to had Todd (Steussie) in there next to him. He’s much more comfortable this week and I know that. I thought he did a nice job last week.”

(On Arizona throwing a lot of different defensive schemes at the Rams offensive line) “I’m sure they will. I’m sure that we’ll get a little bit of all those things and something new that we haven’t seen. We have to prepare, like we do each week, for all the twists that we could get. I think they’re certainly going to test us there.”

(On an altered gameplan because of the offensive line changes) “We put together a gameplan and we’ll work situations as the week goes on. I think you have to be aware of things that make more sense for the guys at this point. Try to avoid experimenting or doing anything new; try to work things that there is a certain level of comfort with the guys up front, so they can go out and play fast on Sunday.”

(On trying to throw passes deep downfield) “We tried and we always will and we’ll get better. I think we did try some things downfield last week, we just didn’t execute them. I think we want to continue to have that ability for an explosive play.”

(On his overall impressions of the Arizona Cardinals) “They really came out and played pretty good that first game. Then they went on the road and played maybe the best team in the NFC and didn’t do so well. They had a high and a low, but they’re one of the most improved teams in the league. They certainly have a lot of weapons offensively and defensively. They have some really good players that are causing some problems for people. They’ve got a safety that’s as good as there is in the league and a defensive end that can put pressure on you without blitzing. I think that’s pretty much the reason why they’re that much better. Their special teams has shown some signs of big-time improvement as well. I don’t think they’re a lot different than us because there are still questions about how consistent we are. If you don’t win the game, you have to go back and look at what you did the last week. Neither one of us won last week, so it’s a big test for both of us to come back after a tough loss on the road.”

(On RB Madison Hedgecock getting more reps against San Francisco) “That was our plan from the beginning. Madison was hurt during the preseason so Paul [Smith] took a lot more reps. Both of them are very key special teams players. I’d like to use them both for different reasons. There’s certain things that I think both do well in our regular package, which is a true fullback.”

(On focusing more on the blitz) “We’ve played two games and saw not as much in the first game, saw a little bit more…I think some of that was because our lack of success protecting the passer in the game. A lot of times that’s how it goes. This is a team that likes to come after you a lot. We’re preparing for it based on what they’ve done in the past. That’s kind of their M.O. We’re preparing for quite a bit of that, but teams know that you prepare and the cat and mouse thing…you’ve also got to be ready for them to play some coverage and cover two as well.”

(On being pleased with the defensive tackles) “The first game, I thought our interior guys really played well. Jimmy [Kennedy] had an injury that he was able to play with but affected him some in the first game and this week. He played pretty well considering he was having to make an adjustment not being able to play with his hands, and I think he’ll be that much better this week. La’Roi [Glover] is doing a nice job in there. I think we’ve got a really good backup in Jason Fisk. La’Roi and Jason aren’t the 300-pound size as Jimmy so we’ve got to do some things in there to help cover up for their lack of beef by putting more people in the box when we know people are going to run. It’s still a team game. We’ve got to do a good job for them in that area but we certainly have some guys that play hard and penetrate and play in the other team’s backfield I think.”

(On what he’s looking to see out of the team this week) “It’s got to be really the same. I know it seems unfathomable to react the same after winning and losing, but you have to. We had a very good practice today I thought. The focus is to improve every day, to be aware of things that you’re deficient at and work on those, and also work on things that you’re still doing well and stay positive. It’s easy to feel good after you win a game and it’s easy to get a little bit down, if you let yourself, after losing a game, and get caught up in all the negativity of that. I think we really have to refuse to fall into that feeling at all as a team and just kind of put it behind you, 24-hour rule, win or lose, and get ready for the next opponent.”

(On the problems that S Adrian Wilson presents) “He’s like a linebacker playing safety. He’s a big guy, very physical, excellent blitzer, but also has ability in the backend and has the range to play safety. Roy Williams and Adrian Wilson’s roles are that they’re difference makers and you’re aware of them. There’s never a time where you don’t have to be conscious of where they’re at. That’s what big time safeties can do in this league is be such an x-factor for the defense that sometimes you get caught up in those guys, then someone else ends up beating somebody one on one. We’ve certainly got to take into account where he is at all times, but we can’t let it be such a focus for us, which is easy to do, and let somebody else get freed up. That’s what guys like that do. They affect you and make you take notice of them.”

(On the deep shots) “You just keep working on it. Working the timing, you coach it better; you execute it better as players. That’s the only thing I’ve known to do. You certainly don’t make excuses. You recognize it and identify the problem, and you work on the solution—let’s work on better timing, which is what we’ve been doing.”

(On what jumps out at him about QB Kurt Warner) “Great confidence. He’s very accurate in all parts of the field—the deep part of the field, intermediate, and he’s been around long enough he knows to check it down. He’s a real crafty veteran who’ll make you pay if he gets the right coverage and the protection is good, very seldom does he miss a guy. Understands the game, obviously, to be MVP and Super Bowl quarterback and all those things you can’t be nothing but all those things. He’s done it over time. I think that’s the biggest testament of how great he is, is that he’s been pretty darn good over a long period of time.”

(On his thoughts on the low-scoring games throughout the NFL) “There are a lot of theories out there. I think there’s pretty good defenses. I think you just see a lot of people doing some things that cause problems. There’s always an ebb and flow in the league as far as what people are doing. Offenses get ahead of the defense and defenses get a head of the offenses just based on some schematic things they do that are caused…certain protections are a problem. There are a lot of things can go wrong if not all 11 of you do the right thing or are playing perfect football when you’ve got all those bodies flying around. I think you really see right now, defenses are doing some things to offenses which are creating some problems, especially in the loss yardage plays; sacking the quarterback, making him throw it away and pressuring the guys. I think that’s one thing that’s creating a lot of difficulties for some of these guys.”

(On what throws off the offense) “There are lots of theories. I don’t know which one it is, but I think the defensive players, whether it’s linemen or linebackers, secondary people, I just think they’re so athletic and so fast that they create match-up problems for big offensive linemen or a smaller running back or a protection scheme that was fine until they put in a certain new blitz that they had never seen before. I think there’s a period of adjustment that goes on. I think offenses, like they always have, will adjust and get better. I don’t know if it’s coincidence right now. I just know there’s a lot of really good defenses and defensive players out there right now. I think that has a lot to do with it.”

(On if QB Marc Bulger is playing up to his expectations) “Marc has done…I think the biggest thing, and I’ve said it before, is that he’s done everything I’ve asked. I’ve asked him to be a guy that manages the game and protects the ball, that understands what we want to get out of the running game and those kinds of things. Certainly by our ability to protect the ball right now and the fact that our running back is averaging over 5 yards a carry is a great start. I think we’ve certainly got to work on our efficiency in the passing game, which will come. I believe that and that’s what Marc believes. He’s accepted everything we’ve asked, so to answer your question, yes. We’re all perfectionists and we all want to be better, and we need to be, and we’ll continue to work on being better every day.”

QB Marc Bulger

(On his relationship with Kurt Warner) “I talked to him last week prior to the last game. We speak every three or four weeks, or so. I asked how things are going there and I think he’s having a good time. Ever since he left here he stayed in contact. I thought after the first month or two, he might go distant. In New York as well as Arizona, he is always calling and I get to see him throughout the country at different events too.”

(On dealing with the injuries to key players) “Everyone’s dealing with different issues. It’s not good when you lose your center for the year and your all-pro tackle in a game. We have to deal with it. I’m sure the guys that step in are going to do a good job, like Richie (Incognito).”

(On not being able to find a rhythm with this offense) “It’s tough, especially when you know what you’ve been able to do. You can’t live in the past. We have to move on and know that this is new. We’re going to have to push to learn this and be patient all at once. It’s not easy, but we’re going to have to deal with it and there’s no sense in pushing or giving up now. We have to fight through it.”

(On his numbers this year compared to his career stats) “I really don’t worry about numbers. I know in the past I normally averaged about 300 (yards per game). I definitely want to get my completion percentage up. That’s the one I’m disappointed in. Something I can control is the completion percentage and I do want to get that up. If we could have come out with a win, I would feel a lot better right now, but I’m not worried about stats.”

(On not being able to utilize the Rams playmakers to the fullest) “I know the guys we have on our team. I don’t have a (complete) grasp, just like I didn’t have a grasp of the last offense completely, which I don’t think you ever will. I have some catching up to do. I think it’s going to take repetitions and time to figure out where he wants you to go with the ball every time, just like it did with the old offense.”

(On the new audible system) “It’s not one of the major things. We had a couple of miscommunications with those, but they were just incomplete passes. If it was an audible and a pick for a touchdown then I would be really worried. You’re going to have that and it’s just going to be one of those things that come over time. There are just other things in the offense that are going to take time. It’s tough when you need 11 guys to all do the same thing right and it’s new for everyone. If one guy messes up, which we saw many cases last week, in football it’s not going to work. Whether it’s me messing up or someone else; a guard or a receiver is just as critical as the quarterback and that’s what makes football.”

(On changing plays at the line of scrimmage) “No, I haven’t even audibled, so to speak, with the line and changed protection. I just switched a route here and there. Whether you call that an audible or just an adjustment, but I haven’t completely wiped out a play yet.”

(On knowing what to expect with this offensive system) “I knew it was going to be different. You can’t make a conscious effort to say you’re going to run the ball and then thrown the ball 50 times like we used to. You can’t have it both ways. I knew in that respect it was going to be that way. At the same time, teams are playing Cover 2 and Cover 8, and when they do that, it’s tough to throw the ball way down the field. You have to take shorter routes and check downs. That’s been their plan and I think as time goes on we’ll get more film. His systems work. He wouldn’t be a head coach if he didn’t know what he was doing. In Minnesota he proved that and I think he proved that in Miami. When he knows his personnel better and we all get more familiar with him, that will come because he’s proven himself.”

(On the incomplete deep passes he threw against the *****) “They were close. I know the one to Torry (Holt) and the one to Kevin (Curtis) were jump balls. Sometimes that’s what you hope for, a jump ball with your guy. The other two to Torry were really close. One I didn’t want to under throw him and it got caught in the wind. You hate to miss those. Like I said, ‘If one guy doesn’t do his job it hurts the team.’ I missed him on one. That’s going to happen. I think we’ll get those in time and we’ll start coming down with some.”

(On the TE Joe Klopfenstein’s performance) “I think Joe (Klopfenstein) did a great job. Not only knowing what he’s supposed to be doing, but taking hits and holding onto the ball. He took a hit earlier in the game, but he wasn’t afraid to take another hit and still hold onto the ball at the end of the game. That was encouraging.”

(On preseason reps affecting the lack of offensive production) “I think I threw 10 more passes last preseason. So, if I played a whole game this preseason, we’d be one week behind. Like I said, everyone’s healthy, this isn’t a week to week thing, and I think we’re just going to correct it over time. Hopefully we can start scoring touchdowns and learn with wins and scoring more points, but it’s going to take months to learn this. That doesn’t mean we’re going to struggle the whole year, but it’s just going to take time before we completely grasp this.”

(On not having T Orlando Pace protecting his blindside) “I think as the game goes on and you keep getting hit, maybe you start to work up into the pocket quicker. I honestly prefer the right tackle protecting me more. Getting hit from behind doesn’t hurt nearly as bad as getting hit from the front because of your hands, forearms, and all that. Not that I want to get hit from either way, but Alex is doing a really good job.”

(On Pace’s injury) “It happened on a field goal and I didn’t even know it happened until the third quarter. It was just good to see him get on the plane. That’s a good sign because if there were any worries he would have stayed in California. I am (lobbying for his return), but it is a head injury and he has to be 100 percent certain and I know the doctors won’t even consider it if he’s not okay.”

(On the offensive line changes in his career) “There’s been some lines we’ve had here, so having (Todd) Steussie and a guy who’s been in this system before (Adam Goldberg), and Richie (Incognito), who played well last week, I’m a lot more confident in that than years past.”

(On the Cardinals defensive schemes creating problems for the offensive line) “It does. Not necessarily for me, but for those guys. They bring their safeties down a lot, as I found out last year. They’re going to try to complicate things, and it won’t be a secret that we have newer guys in there. They’re going to try disguises and that’s when we’re going to need Steussie and Goldberg, since he’s been in the system, to help out. We can’t sit here and worry about who’s playing. We have to go out there with our 11 and play. Arizona’s played dealing with some injuries too. Just like San Francisco did last week with Larry Allen and they did fine, so we have to find a way to deal with it.”

C Richie Incognito

(On the game against San Francisco) “It went really well. I had a really good game. Played well. Made a couple mistakes in ID and backers and stuff like that, but between [Todd] Steussie, and [Adam] Goldberg, we got all that sorted out so it went really well.”

(On getting all the problems sorted out this week during practice) “Most definitely. We’ve got another week to work together, another week to gel, another week to communicate, another week to get these things down. I think we’ll definitely take a step in the right direction this next week.”

(On the difficulty of creating chemistry in such a short time period) “We’ve got a lot of good guys and hard workers so it be coming together here this week.”

(On going back to the Arizona) “Most definitely. That stadium is close to my home in Glendale where I grew up, so that’s right in my neighborhood.”

(On going back home creating more pressure) “Not really. Not really under pressure. I’ve played in front of a lot of people before, a lot of family and stuff like that. It’s especially tough now that the Cardinals are selling out. Before they couldn’t even give tickets away to Sun Devil Stadium. Now they’re sold out. They’ve got a lot of hype. They’ve got a good ball club down there, so it’s an exciting time.”

G Adam Timmerman

(On looking forward to seeing the new stadium) “That will be pretty fun. We’ve been hearing about it for a couple of years so it’ll be interesting to see how it turned out. I’m sure it’s a pretty good piece of artwork just seeing a little bit on film so far.”

(On running a lot to the right against the *****) “That is nice. I don’t think we didn’t anything real different. I didn’t notice, I guess, at the time. It seemed like we did bounce them back a little bit more. I don’t even know if they’re talking like he’s going this week or how that’s all going to go down but as far as that goes, whoever is in there, we’re going to have to.”

(On it being meaningful to have a 100-yard rusher every game) “It is nice, but we’d have traded that off for the win in the second game. That’s kind of the weird thing. Sometimes you do and win, sometimes you do and lose, or sometimes you don’t and win. It is nice to get some production and that’s a positive we can build on.”

(On guarding against press to get everything going) “That is tough because you’re kind of like ‘Okay, well we need to get in the endzone.’ You put a lot of pressure on it. Nobody really, I think, plays well under pressure or putting pressure on themselves, so I think you have to guard against that a little bit. I think you just have to look at it on an individual play basis and take them as they come. That’s the good thing…I have a short memory. I can’t remember what happened on the last play anyways, so that works out good in this case.”

DE Anthony Hargrove

(On it being too early to call this game crucial) “It’s only game three. There’s still a whole lot of season left. Maybe if this was game 12…but like I said, this is a long season. You know this better than anybody.”

(On the temperature being a concern) “No, I’m not taking it as a concern at all. Where we were playing last week it was hot. I don’t think weather’s really a factor too much. I’m not that worried about it.”

(On if they can use the condition of QB Kurt Warner’s hand to their advantage) “He’s been dropping the balls lately. It’s got to affect him some way. We need to get back when we have a chance to get it or we need to go for the hand to get the ball out of it.”

(On changing the way he tackles) “No. We had just noticed to where he puts the ball, on the position of his body, when he’s getting ready to throw it, when he’s winding up, all that stuff. That’s all key. If you know that he has the weak hand and has the ball in there, we know where to go.”

S Oshiomogho Atogwe

(On the threat the receivers pose) “They’re very talented receivers, [Larry] Fitzgerald and [Anquan] Boldin. They both take you deep, they can work the middle, they run great routes, so we’re definitely going to have to strap it up and come ready to play against them.”

(On one receiver being tougher than the other) “They both bring different dynamics to their game, which makes them hard to cover. I’d say they’re equally talented and good receivers.”

(On what he sees in QB Kurt Warner) “He’s still got it in my point of view. Coach [Green] might have said he had a lapse in the last game, but he can still come out and throw for over 300 yards and throw touchdowns. He’s definitely commanding that offense out there. He can definitely make something happen and get some wins for them. We definitely have to get after him and put some pressure on him.”

(On his grade in the game against the *****) “I would say, outside of that play, I was pretty consistent. It’s hard to really focus on the rest of your game when you gave up a big play like that that really costs your team. You’ve really got to look down deep and continue to work. That definitely effects your grade in the game.”

Cardinals Head Coach Dennis Green

(On what he thinks of the new stadium) “It’s incredible, it really is. I think everyone who’s been in it’s impressed, including myself. It’s got the typical fast Arizona surface also, the grass itself very similar to Sun Devil Stadium, except we’ve got all the other things that make it a great indoor place.”

(On making Arizona a place where other teams don’t want to play) “That would be the idea. We just came back from Seattle. Of course once a year we go into your place at St. Louis, and we understand the difficulty of operating your offense and the excitement as created by the fan participation. We’ve had good fans out for our two preseason games and our opening game against San Francisco, and we hope we get the same participation this week against the Rams.”

(On thinking Seattle is the team to beat) “I think it’s too early to say. I think it’s just fresh in the season. We’ve got an unusual concept of playing all three divisional teams in the first three games, so the Rams are next.”

(On the Rams coming in with a new head coach) “On paper, I think they’ve got a lot of players who can play. They’ve got speed defensively, particularly. You look at their defense and they’re much improved and have a much more aggressive approach to play in the game. You drafted Tye Hill because he can run fast and play bump-and-run he’s out there playing. Corey Chavous is a guy that I’ve known for years, is a very good player. The other new player’s [Will] Witherspoon, so it’s a much better defense and much more aggressive approach defensively. Offensively, it’s the same offense that we used for years at Minnesota, and did very well. [Scott] Linehan did extremely well as a coordinator on Mike Tice’s staff and led the league in yardage and passing and all that stuff a couple years. He did very well last year in Miami, so we understand that with the receivers that you have, the concept fits very much into what you already have there. We think the Rams are a very good team.”

(On his defensive unit) “We’ve given up a lot of big plays. I think last week we probably had four plays over 30 yards, and if you added the San Francisco game, we probably gave up about eight plays of over 30 yards. That’s something that shouldn’t happen. I think that’s the thing that’s hurt us the most. We’ve got some guys back. We had [Karlos] Dansby back, played a little bit last week, and he’ll play some this week also. We hope that we’ll be an improving defense.”

(On the expectation level in Arizona with all the new additions) “It should be. It’s always been higher for me. I’m the guy that’s come in that’s accustomed to going to the playoffs every year, and I’m not going to get unaccustomed to going to the playoffs every year. The expectations for me are very high, and I think with everyone else they’re high also.”

(On last week being a step back for their offense) “I think it was a step back for our team because we played a team on the road that we couldn’t handle. Going up to Seattle…they’ve got an incredible record, 23 wins and three losses over the last three or four years. You have to play real well to beat them, and we did not play well, so we didn’t beat them.”

Cardinals' QB Kurt Warner

(On adjusting to learning a new offense) “It’s always difficult to learn a new system and really learn the ins and outs of it. I think it’s one thing to know what you’re supposed to do, but it’s another thing to get to the point where it’s second nature and you can react, respond, see what’s going on, and get to the point where you can just play football. Especially, when the philosophy is so much different than what they we’re experiencing before. It’s going to be a challenge for them for quite a while to play under that philosophy and to feel comfortable, to feel challenged, and really know the ins and outs of it. Sometimes it takes a full season. I remember when I was in New York, the whole season I never really felt 100 percent comfortable with what we were doing and really felt like I could play football in a comfortable type fashion. It’s always kind of a struggle and I was always second guessing and thinking about things more than I had to before. It makes you play the game different, and sometimes it frustrating.”

(On the Rams troubles adjusting to their new offensive system) “I haven’t watched enough of their offense to really know the philosophy and what they’re trying to do down there. You always think of it when you look at the playmakers and the talent they have on the offensive side of the ball. It’s always interesting when a team like that can’t score. We’re very familiar with that. We had a lot of talent on our offense last year. We moved the ball; we just had trouble putting the ball in the endzone. It’s a frustrating thing and you understand how much more difficult it gets in the red zone. From my limited understanding of their offense (I know) that they’re a ball control offense. They take the ball down and they’re going to have a lot of opportunities probably within the 20-yard line, maybe inside the 10-yard line. The thing that’s hard about it is you come to understand that when you’re trying to throw the ball inside the 10-yard line, it gets a lot more difficult. Whereas in the old offense he would get a couple of touchdowns a game on 30 or 35-yard pass plays or run plays. That’s what we experienced last year. We moved the ball between the 20’s, but we never got a lot of big touchdowns, so we always had our backs against the wall on short fields trying to spread teams out and throw the ball, which makes it very, very difficult. That’s what happens when you have a ball control type offense and that seems to be some of the struggles they’re having right now.”

(On going from a system without audibles to a system that heavily utilizes them) “I think it’s very difficult, because when I played in St. Louis, not doing it made me build a confidence that it doesn’t matter what is going on in the field, it’s that you can see it and respond to it. Whether that’s throwing ‘hot’ or a sight adjust or beating it with a throw. Whatever it might be, you build up a confidence there. Then when you get to the point where that stops and you’re asked to get the team into the perfect play, you start second-guessing yourself and thinking about it more. You’re always looking for little things. Normally in a situation where you’re not changing the plays, I just go up and call the snap count, and if the safeties rotate at the snap of the ball, you’re fine. You just react to it. You see it and you do what you need to do. Whereas, when you’re in an audible system you’re watching the safeties and you’re trying to get any kind of a key to say, ‘hey, I need to get out of this play.’ You’re continually on your heels thinking (about) what they’re going to do, how can I get us into the best play instead of saying, ‘forget it, we’re going to run this play and we’re going to make it work.’ It’s a transition. We do more of it here. It’s frustrating because sometimes defenses don’t show you anything until the snap of the ball and they rotate a certain way and you’re running a play and telling yourself that you should have gotten out of that play. It can be a frustrating situation because you’re asked to put your team in the best situation all the time. It sometimes causes you to second-guess yourself about not doing the right thing, or not responding the right way, or not helping your team the best way possible. Whereas, when the play was just called and you ran it, you could just react and do the best with the play given. To me, I felt more comfortable and more successful in that because I felt I could see the field and react to it as well as anybody.”

(On the Cardinals offense coming together) “We’re still in the process. We obviously had a really good game against San Francisco, but then we came back with a very inefficient game against Seattle. We’re still in that process of battling things and trying to find our identity and trying to do whatever we need to do to be successful. One thing that we have to build here is a consistency. We (have to) feel good every week moving the ball, putting the ball in the endzone, and feel that we can be competitive and we can beat anybody when we step on the football field. It’s a process. Now, we add Edge (Edgerrin James) to the mix (and) I’m trying to get him to feel comfortable and trying to mix what he’s comfortable with to what our styles are. We’re still in that process. I think there are more good days than bad, but it’s still a process and we’re still working to it and trying to get to a high level to be one of those teams that defenses hate to see.”

(On the Cardinals new stadium) “I love it. It reminds me a lot of the dome in St. Louis. The field, when you close it, the fans are all very similar to me. It feels like home, it feels very comfortable. It’s great having 63,000 fans filling it up that are cheering for us. That’s a distinct advantage as well. It’s nice. It has a great feel and it reminds me of an indoor stadium, which is what I’m comfortable in, so I feel really good in it.”

(On the Cardinals vs. the Rams “Greatest Show on Turf”) “We’re extremely talented; we have a lot of playmakers. I never treat the situation and the time that I had in St. Louis lightly. I’m never going to throw too many teams in that category. We had a special group that hit on all cylinders for three years in a row. This team has the capabilities to be very good, but we’re not there yet. So there’s really no comparison at this point in time. Do we have similar playmakers? Yes. Have we accomplished anything close to what we accomplished in St. Louis? No. Until we begin to put it together on a consistent basis will we feel like we can put up 35 points against anybody, then you can start making that comparison, but we’re not there yet.”

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Coach / players--Sept. 20

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bulger
    “I think Joe (Klopfenstein) did a great job. Not only knowing what he’s supposed to be doing, but taking hits and holding onto the ball. He took a hit earlier in the game, but he wasn’t afraid to take another hit and still hold onto the ball at the end of the game. That was encouraging.”
    I have a feeling Klopf is going to be a money guy. His ability to hold onto the ball despite getting creamed is very impressive. I hope he becomes more integrated within the offense because he looks like he can be a go to guy on big third downs and in the red zone.